RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #29

56k don't think they have ever been changed. Bilstein on rear, does anyone know the black ones on the front?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190104_162647_resized.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	231272   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190104_163709_resized.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	231273  

Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacing rear shocks.

I replaced the front shocks with the Koni 99 series - huge difference. What I could not find was info on rear shocks. Do owners recommend staying with the 88 series or using the 99 series (or similar) on the back also. Thanks for the help.
Apex - 40 FDQS #75547
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #31

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...95&mk=148&mt=9
Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #32

…88 series is the only option from Koni for the rear shocks...they don't make a 99 series for the back axle…… 1021 or 1022 for the 88s--forget which is which....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
…88 series is the only option from Koni for the rear shocks...they don't make a 99 series for the back axle…… 1021 or 1022 for the 88s--forget which is which....

Thanks - is Koni the forum recommendation or do Alpine owners generally prefer or have better service from a different brand?
Apex - 40 FDQS #75547
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #34

...mixed feelings on whether any brand of shock has a lot of impact on the rear [20k] axle....never really understood how the air bags contribute to the "Walmart Wobble." Lack of a rear OEM sway bar probably doesn't help either. I tried the motion control valves on the rear axle air bags but they didn't see much change. So to answer your question: Bilsteins were OEM on Alpines. They have a good reputation on sport vehicles but don't seem to last more that about 25K miles on an Alpine. Koni 88s seem to last about as long as the Bilsteins. The Koni 99s are relatively new--initial feedback appears to be good but some complain of a rougher ride. Road Kings are said to be top shelf and accordingly are more expensive. Most R/K owners appear to be happy with their performance despite the price.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:19 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I have not talked to an Alpine Coach owner yet with Road Kings who is not happy with the shocks. Mine feel the same now as they did when I bought them years ago, unlike the Koni 88's I had before that needed to be replaced every couple of years. (I bought the Road Kings before Koni came out with the 99's.)

I would buy them again if I had to for some reason. Twice the price I paid for Koni 88's, but already more than twice the life. One less thing to worry about.
Jim
I have roadkings on my 04 40’ alpine when we bought it
Im getting them rebuilt now i did alot of research on bilstein, koni found that
Road king was the best fit
CityElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #36

I too have changed to the Koni’s front and rear. There is still a bit of sway in the rear. Only a few miles on them.
I would be interested to know if some of the sway might be related to soft sidewalls on the tires.
I have only run the tires at the recommended dual tire pressure.
Comments or suggestions?
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybyrd View Post
I too have changed to the Koni’s front and rear. There is still a bit of sway in the rear. Only a few miles on them.
I would be interested to know if some of the sway might be related to soft sidewalls on the tires.
I have only run the tires at the recommended dual tire pressure.
Comments or suggestions?
Would you describe “sway” in more detail? Is the rear end wandering left and right when you drive on a smooth straight road? Is it rolling, or tipping, after a lane change or when going around curves? Is it a combination of the two?

Are you running at the “recommended” tire pressure based on the weight of your coach or the pressure shown on the sidewall? It won’t cause problems to run 3-5psi above the recommended pressure based on weight. Sensitive types who can distinguish between rolling over a dime or a quarter may feel a difference. Mere mortals are not hampered by such curses.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #38

Here is what an Alpine will do to inadequate shocks in 10,000 miles.

Name:	Shocks.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	235147

Bilsteins where installed new. It appears the weld is cracked and the busing housing is elongated.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #39

Side-by-side.

Name:	IMG_0855.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	235149
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #40

As the tech opened the box with the new shocks he said "this is a work of art!"

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	235150
Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #41

I would say a combination of both with an emphasis on lane changes and turns. The rearend of the coach feels mushy.
I have seen the same issue with service trucks in the F350 and 3500 series. The issues were corrected with rear tires having a more rigid side wall construction. The air pressure recommendations are lower for a dual application. Would increasing this pressure cause issues other than the ride? I have considered increasing the rear pressure.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybyrd View Post
I would say a combination of both with an emphasis on lane changes and turns. The rearend of the coach feels mushy.
I have seen the same issue with service trucks in the F350 and 3500 series. The issues were corrected with rear tires having a more rigid side wall construction. The air pressure recommendations are lower for a dual application. Would increasing this pressure cause issues other than the ride? I have considered increasing the rear pressure.
Improper tire pressure, either over or under inflated, can cause uneven wear in addition to handling problems. If you are running the manufacturers recommended pressure for the weight of your coach, tire pressure should not be causing the problem you have described. If you haven’t weighed your coach, either 4 corner or axle weights, it would not be unreasonable to use the axle ratings to determine tire pressure. Double check, but I believe the 2003’s are 12K front and 19K rear.

Some other factors could be the coach is overweight on one or both axles, it is not well balanced or the ride height is not set properly. Our coach has the Koni 88 series shocks on all 4 corners. It also has what are called Motion Control Units, which are designed to reduce side to side rocking.

Your shocks are new and should not be a factor, however, you have now described the rear end as being mushy rather than, or in addition to, swaying or rocking. You could certainly experiment with overinflated tires on a short term basis to see if there is any improvement.

Tags
shocks