Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #43

They all suck. Get double mount rear shock hangers made. 4 shocks in back, 2 sway bars in back, upgraded shocks/bars in front.

Then get your weights/tire pressures right. And get it weighed/face reality.

That's it.

Source: 1996 Southwind Storm, 2014 Newmar Mountain Aire.
Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #44

Suspect you have already checked your SWAY BAR main and end link bushings.

Polyurethane bushings are stiffer and will give you more "anti-sway" at very low cost.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #45

Despite the likely $$$$$, I tend to agree with "Houdoxi71," more shocks and adding sway bar[s] would help. As stated earlier, Alpines have an OEM sway bar on front [albeit pretty skinny] and none on the rear. With trailing arm suspension, air bags may actually enhance "Wal-mart Wobble," and I didn't see much improvement from motion controls on rear axle. Don't recall how many miles on this rig, but I recently found the bushings on my hardpan [track bars][one front and one back on older Alpines][newer Alpines have 2 bars on back] had badly deteriorated [175k miles on my rig]. New bars substantially improved handling.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Great info and many thanks.

The coach has right at 100k miles and 17 years on the bushings and other wear items related. I have been all over and under it in the past year. No evidence or glaring indicators of wear. I understand the bushings and other items can have performance issues without showing visible signs of degradation.
I plan to keep it a while. I am thinking maybe start with the tire pressure up and down for short distances and note any changes.
Then start looking at poly bushings and such.
I have heard the Alpines are supposed to drive like a sports car and some claims that they do. I am also smart enough to know chatchy sales phrases accompany most attempts to sell products and 30k lbs. sports cars are nonexistent. This is the first time I am hearing they “all” suck. ??? Two ends of the spectrum???
If mine is worn to the point of being mushy in the ass end I need to fix it anyway.
Do the origional handling characteristics of these coaches suck compared to orther coaches of the same class and era?

I don’t necessarily need sports car performance. My concern is having it up to its origional standard and performance level.
Again, I appreciate the input.
Steve
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #47

All shocks don’t suck. Ours with 6 year old Koni 88’s that are not leaking but I suspect may be a bit worn, handles quite well. Lane changes, twisty roads, with or without toad it is always very composed. As mentioned, we have MCD’s from Brazil’s. Henderson’s claims to have a more effective product, which I may see if they will allow me to test this spring. Many with Road Kings are satisfied as well and after seeing the photos of the product I may order 5 so I have one just to look at.

Double shocks and anti-sway bars would simply be a waste of money trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #48

I think this has a lot to do with what you are comparing it to...
Mine granted only has 20k but it drives awesome! I tow a 24' enclosed trailer that's about 8500 lbs. over Washington and Oregon passes with out any drama. I came out of a gas coach with leaf springs, I could probably take the shocks off and it would drive better than my old one.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
As the tech opened the box with the new shocks he said "this is a work of art!"

Attachment 235150
AKOne ,those look good.

Are they (Road King) Brand ? How do I find them?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #50

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
As the tech opened the box with the new shocks he said "this is a work of art!"

Attachment 235150
For over $400 each they should be!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

OUCH!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:44 AM   #52

….just to clarify--I personally believe our Alpines are some of the best handling DPs ever built. I thought so in 2003 when it was new and still do today. With over 178K miles on my rig, I have been thru several sets of shocks over the years, the last being Koni 99s on the front. Never had a shock break or leak but after about 20k, most shocks become less effective against "porpoising." Notwithstanding the potential impact of air bags and trailing arms on handling, the primary advantage for the Alpine's design over other coaches is the longer wheel base and 40/60 weight distribution. Shocks are an import part of the equation but so are: tire pressure, ride height [weight distribution], alignment and sway bar/ track bar bushing wear. Have also seen a fair amount of discussion on tie rod and drag link wear but in most, if not all cases, the wear seems confined to grease boots and not actual joint wear. Overall, Alpines handle better on a bad day than most coaches on a good day--IMHO......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #53

Are the new shocks shorter then the old ones ?

That would explain pounding out the ends like they did. They were bottoming out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
Are they (Road King) Brand ? How do I find them?
They are ordered direct. Long lead time. Can't be in a rush. Road King can be found here: RoadKing Shocks - Taking Advanced Ride Control Technology To The Limit - RoadKing Shocks LLC
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
$395.00 + shipping.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Are the new shocks shorter then the old ones ? That would explain pounding out the ends like they did. They were bottoming out.
I took note of the same thing. Road King has you measure the distance from upper to lower mounting studs. They build the shock to those dimensions. The old Bilstiens was from a stock part number for Alpines.

Tags
shocks