RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
OUCH!
Road King shocks, something to consider. What I actually had to spend.

Replacement Bilstein
$95.00 + shipping + installation = $195.00 each. Total = $780.00.

Replacement Road Kings
$395.00 + shipping + installation = $460.00 each. Total = $1,840.00.

Actual cost: $780.00 + 1,840.00 = $2,620.00.

If, I had listened to the good advice posted on this form and if I had gone with Road King when replacing the original shocks, I would not have thrown $780.00 hard earned dollars into the wind!!

I did do a cost comparison. Replacement shock prices for Freightliner, Volvo, Peterbilt as compared to Road King. Not much different, they are expensive. The fact is, my Alpine is essentially a commercial vehicle and commercial grade parts tend to be more expensive. Trying to go a less expensive route cost me a lot of money
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post

Road King shocks, something to consider. What I actually had to spend.

Replacement Bilstein
$95.00 + shipping + installation = $195.00 each. Total = $780.00.

Replacement Road Kings
$395.00 + shipping + installation = $460.00 each. Total = $1,840.00.

Actual cost: $780.00 + 1,840.00 = $2,620.00.

If, I had listened to the good advice posted on this form and if I had gone with Road King when replacing the original shocks, I would not have thrown $780.00 hard earned dollars into the wind!!

I did do a cost comparison. Replacement shock prices for Freightliner, Volvo, Peterbilt as compared to Road King. Not much different, they are expensive. The fact is, my Alpine is essentially a commercial vehicle and commercial grade parts tend to be more expensive. Trying to go a less expensive route cost me a lot of money
Completely agree. Itís interesting that some balk at the price of a quality shock but donít hesitate to put the most expensive tires on their coach.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:02 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Designed and built to last for the life of the motor home
60 degree below zero to 350 degree performance
Corrosion free steel cad plated shock body
Up to 350,000 miles of performance
"1 Year Warranty on materials and workmanship"?

Seems to me that if the first four statements were reliably accurate, the warranty would be more than one year. Just a casual observation after reading all five pages of this discussion. That said, they certainly look like the highest quality shock Ive ever seen - they look like race car parts.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
They certainly look like the highest quality shock Ive ever seen - they look like race car parts.
Taking a two hundred mile long-weekend trip to Anderson, CA. This will be the first road trip with the Road Kings. My test drive after the installation was very promising. I am looking forward to driving a longer stint to see what my second impression is.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I test drove my 2010 F53 with new Koni 8805s today. Definately a smoother, quieter, more comtrolled ride, with some additional post CHF reduction in sway. Not a lot, but noticable. Whats goung on in Anderson?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #62

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Free2Go
Koni 99s

Okay, I'm going to provide a different perspective. I just changed to Koni 99's in November 2018. It made the ride stiffer....more like a sports car. But with the more refined ride you get a harsher ride. We had MCD shades pop off the window because of the harder ride...we never had that happen in the 6 years before. and the ride changed to more like a sports car. I consider it too rough of a ride and I'm not sure I would have changed.

I noted that someone talked about the 99's on the Entegra Anthem....it's nearly 10,000 pounds heavier than an Alpine, so maybe they are needed.
Free2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #63

Thanks Steve. Itís interesting that some Entegra owners reported a floating, bouncing ride. It makes me wonder if the 99ís are a bit of a one size fits all item. There isnít much technical information on the Koni website other than how great they are for buses. There are different part numbers for the 99ís based on specific coaches. It would be interesting to know what the differences are between the parts. Are the internals all the same? It could just be that it isnít the correct shock for our lighter coaches. Especially a 36í that weighs in at 30K.

It seems like the Road Kings are build more specifically for each coach.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #64

There are more variables to ride quality than just shocks.

Tire pressure, road surface condition and most importantly our perception all come into play. Just an extension of "do you prefer a Cadillac or MB ride".

I found the 99's in the front of our 2003 38' FDDS to be an excellent compromise of good ride quality and handling.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #65

Of course there are variables. Replacing worn shocks with anything new that is appropriate for the application will result in a noticeable improvement. Spending a grand or more will result in the desire to believe that the correct decision was made, thereby influencing our perception of improved ride quality.

So far on this thread we have 9 Alpine owners riding on Koniís. One has described the ride as mushy and swaying, another has described the ride as stiffer, harsher and harder to the point that blinds are falling off. That leaves 7 who have expressed no dissatisfaction with the Koniís. We have 6 Alpine owners riding on Road Kings, a few have switched from Koni, all are satisfied.

Going by consensus alone, we are essentially in a tie. The additional cost of the RKís would probably discourage many owners from even considering them. It is a testament to the RKís that the opinions are so closely balanced. I would like to put together a road test this June after the Crater Lake rally lands in Medford.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #66

Hey Brett, I tend to be in your camp on this....I have had the 99s on for several years now [25k+ miles] and find the ride to be very satisfactory--handling and stability remain solid. After several goes with the 88s on the front axle [178k miles on coach], the 88s performance was often suspect after 25k miles, the 99s appear to be holding up well. The price of the road kings tend to offend my sensibilities, even if you can make the economic case for longer term return on investment.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Of course there are variables. Replacing worn shocks with anything new that is appropriate for the application will result in a noticeable improvement. Spending a grand or more will result in the desire to believe that the correct decision was made, thereby influencing our perception of improved ride quality.
Agree completely, it can be rather subjective, and here's a case in point. The owner of this coach said this steering stabilizer made a significant improvement in handling, explainable only by the circumstances noted above:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3159.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	238200  
Old 03-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Yes, that is the case to some degree. I took note of this when researching shock posts -- comparing worn-out OEM shocks with new or the inherent want to not think you made a mistake by spending lots of dollars on shocks that only provide some improvement. When I replaced my OEMs with new Bilsteins, there was a definite improvement. But, my only point of reference was amount of improvement over the old OEMs. For a time I was happy with my choice based on my experience and what I had to compare to. Most of the road trips in Alaska were short one or two hundred mile jaunts plus the annual drive to Fairbanks. Fast forward a couple of years. A multi week 2,600 mile drive from Kenai to lower 48, made it abundantly clear shocks were toast - miserable drive. Porpoise, tail-wag, body-roll you name it. No sooner than we arrive in Idaho, work called me to South Carolina. Another miserable 2,800 mile drive. As soon as I had a moment, I called Road King and place an order. The pictures in my earlier post tell the story. I was shocked (pun intended) when I first saw the old Bilstein come off. My Alpine had beat the H!! out of them. My conclusion, a BIG RIG needs big rig parts.

My RK opinion so far ... smooth. The kind of smooth you can feel rolling out of the parking lot for the first time. Subjective? Am I merely comparing beat-up Bilstiens to brand new RKs? Perhaps. Have not put that many miles on the RKs yet, but I am optimistic. The road characteristics I want, is a coach the feels firmly "planted" on the road. The RKs seems to deliver. Time will tell with experience in various driving conditions and wind. Do I think the $1,840.00 I spent was worth it? At this point yes.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Whats goung on in Anderson?
Dog show. My wife shows her Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Tags
shocks