Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #1

Shocks…..

Installed new Koni’s on the front yesterday. Still need to install the rears. Have y’all changed em without pulling the tires?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2022, 08:39 PM   #2

I've installed Bilsteins on 2 36 foot Class A's. My brother did the first set, just climbed underneath with his impact tool, removed the big bolts and then installed the new. I didn't pay much attention but he didn't need to remove any wheels/tires.

And I paid a shop to do the 2nd set. The tires were not removed because of the shocks, they were removed because I was getting new tires. I just waited until I needed new tires to install the shocks. But even there, I am pretty sure you don't need to remove the wheels.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #3

I have an ‘05 40’ and I changed mine without pulling the wheels. I don’t know if there’s any difference in the amount of space between the 36 sand 40. I would think they would be about the same.

When I first looked at it I figured no way, not doable, Ill have it done. I took a good long look a couple of days later decided to go for it.

I pulled up on blocks to provide some extra room and used a couple of different length extension and my electric impact and as I recall it took a couple hours tops. It was easier than I expected, the 88s are smaller and lighter than the 99s so that helps.

I will say I was 5 1/2 yrs younger then and I could get up off the ground without the help of a forklift.

I say take a real hard look at it and if you’re fairly mechanically inclined you’ll probably decide to tackle it.

Keep us posted.

Any questions drop me a note, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:01 AM   #4

04 34’ wheels on.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:33 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
‘06 36FDDS Wheels on with 1” drive electric impact. My Coach came from NY��
2006 36 FDDS #75551 400 hp
La Crescenta, CA 91214-1944
sctalbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #6

Thanks, guys. Changed em today. Whole lot easier than expected.
Quite a difference in the ride now. I didn’t think the coach rode bad before. They definitely improved it though. Oddly enough, it drives a tad better too.
Old 04-14-2022, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda67bnl View Post
Thanks, guys. Changed em today. Whole lot easier than expected.
Quite a difference in the ride now. I didn’t think the coach rode bad before. They definitely improved it though. Oddly enough, it drives a tad better too.
I don’t know how long you’ve had your rig but they got to be over 300k, Good shocks and tires are required to realize the quality of the chassis and what set them apart from most of the competitors.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #8

I’ve only had it 4 months. Put new tires on it when I bought it. Been slowly making other improvements since. Only has 61k on it.

Tags
shocks