Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #1

Silver Leaf power supply?

Experienced an issue while installing a "new to me" VMSpc unit. After several calls to Silver Leaf, I realized the JIB [Silver Leaf black box] wasn't getting 12v power from/thru the diagnostic plug. I rerouted the feed wire to a separate/fused circuit pending discovery of the diagnostic plug power issue. The unit fires up fine on the new circuit. I recall that some VMSpc owners were complaining about start-up issues-------hummmmm? Forgive me if this "old news."
PS--the S/L fault msg was "Failure between JIB and PC."
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Experienced an issue while installing a "new to me" VMSpc unit. After several calls to Silver Leaf, I realized the JIB [Silver Leaf black box] wasn't getting 12v power from/thru the diagnostic plug. I rerouted the feed wire to a separate/fused circuit pending discovery of the diagnostic plug power issue. The unit fires up fine on the new circuit. I recall that some VMSpc owners were complaining about start-up issues-------hummmmm? Forgive me if this "old news."
PS--the S/L fault msg was "Failure between JIB and PC."
I've found that not much works without power.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I had a silverleaf power loss, last year on my Apex while on my way to Alaska. I couldn't find the source in the fuse panel near the holding tanks, so I finally re-wired a new line from an open terminal on one of my fuse blocks. I later found a fuse blown in the battery compartment that was the original power source.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

Good input Jim--my 03 has a limited number of locations for automotive/chassis 12v fuses, namely the front bulkhead [infront of pass seat] and the rear engine maintenance door area [none in the bat compartment [at least not the two-prong, pull-type]]. The 4-5 fuses in the rear were intact; haven't looked at all three boxes on the front bulkhead yet. All the fuses in the "switched" box seemed to be intact--decides to reroute the supply wire for now and look for the offending fuse later.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Old scout, here is a picture of the connector on my 2005 Limited for the VMSpc going to the JIB.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I've found that not much works without power.
LOL@Mel, that pretty damn funny.

Im no help, plugged my unit it, worked perfectly.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
This time with the pictureClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401929781.898310.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	734.0 KB
ID:	64612
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #8

Nice picture??? My 03 [non-Vansco] has two 6-pin ports on the bulkhead, one for the ABS and one for the engine--not sure but looks like your port is a 9-pin with combined functions [probably a Vansco thing???]. I removed the port bracket from the bulkhead and tested the engine port supply wire with a voltmeter. Voltage on the 12v feed wire/pin for the JIB seemed to fluctuate from 0 to 11+ volts. Right now, the by-pass power circuit is working fine. Now that was funny--not [smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #9

Dean- you might want to check the ACA Library drawings under the Leoni diagrams to see how the diagnostic plug(s) are wired. WRV had some interesting ideas on taps for diagnostics early on. Eventually they settled on the standard 9 pin plug but not all 9 pins are populated. Probably something like that applies to earlier plugs.

Tags
power