Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Unhappy Slide adjustment (main) Help Needed

Our main slide on our 2005 Alpine Limited 40' FDTS has fallen out of adjustment. The back outside has dropped 1/4 inch. Talked to HWH (Frank) who researched my problem. When he called back he told me that HWH was not provided informination by WRV for my year and model. He suggested I use a straight edge to insure the tube was not bent (checked A-OK). Not having the proper diagrams, he suggested I contact irv2.com Alpine Forum for additional information. It was noted by the wife and I that the rear end of the slide binds when returning to the closed position and makes a loud popping noise when opening. It also leaks, with water entering from the top of the slide and off the cabinets during heavy rains.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreated.

Tom
tojos1@msn.com
2005 Alpine Limited 40' FDTS #75381 / 2009 Saturn Outlook
TOJOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

Is this for an Alpine or Alpenlite?
I may be wrong, but WRV used Lippert for the last couple of years. So you might want to ask them.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Don & Lorri,

As I stated in my thread... We have a 2005 Alpine Limited
40' FDTS
Thanks, Tom & Johnna
2005 Alpine Limited 40' FDTS #75381 / 2009 Saturn Outlook
TOJOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

Seems like somewhere thru the years somebody must have received a diagram of the main slide mechanism, so if anybody has it please forward it to me so we can get it into the Tech Library. I believe this mechanism remained unchanged for a very long time.

Tom- if HWH received for any model/year, I believe it would be applicable. The setup has 4 main parts:
1) two rectangular holder tubes, welded thru both main frame rails that contain the slider ram & extension
2) HWH slider rams pocketed inside #1, with an extension rectangular steel tube you see when slide is extended (you never see the HWH ram in ordinary operation
3) a welded angle plate assembly that attaches the bottom of the slide to the end of the ram extension tube
4) a "synchronizing" cylinder that keeps amount of fluid running to each of the two slide rams constant so the slide doesn't 'walk' out at an angle; the sync cyl isn't involved in up/down adjustment

With the slide out you should be able to look into the left side end of the holder tube #1, and see 4 teflon pads that pocket the extension tube #2 so it can't move up/down much. You should also be able to see a large nut with an allen screw inside on the bottom of the extension tube, and the slide attachment plate #3. Check #3 and the slide bottom to make sure that isn't deformed, and its attachment to the extension tube is secure. Check the teflon pads for obvious wear (or lack).

There may be some adjustment available via the large nut/allen screw setup, to move the separate end piece of the extension tube #2 up or down. I've never done that adjustment, hopefully somebody w/experience will chime in. Also never replaced the teflon pads which can be worn, but here is a thread from a year ago that indicated the teflon pads are an HWH replacement part, and not that big a deal to replace. I'm guessing there are both inside pads & outside pads, but that is a guess. There are 4 pads visible on each of my outside holder tubes, so that's 8 min, might be 16 for a full complement or maybe its just 8.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #5

EM is correct--the main slide is adjustable but only to a certain extent. The large nut and allen screw was used to adjust the slide during initial build at WRV. The adjustment is limited to the space inside at the end of the tube--on our 03, all of the space was "adjusted" during the initial build. Believe there are two sets of nylon pads--located on each end of the tube. If the outside lower pad has worn you can shim it up some to raise the slide when closed--assumes there is still enough pad material left to continue protecting the tube.

Have heard about some owners actually removing the inter-tube to inspect/ replace the inter pads but getting the slide hanger off the slide floor is a bugger for some models [bolts located under hot water heater]. There was a rumor that WRV have melted some of the inside pads during the tube install/ welded-up process but dont know that this was ever proven....

Another option would be to cut and re-weld the adjustment bracket on the end of the tube to gain more lift but I've never had the nerve to try it. Result--the main slide on our 03 is forever 1/4 inch low.....The nagging question for me has always been--What caused the slide to sink in the first place--pads are not worn? Have to believe the slide was higher at one point--ie when they painted the striping on the side of the coach.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #6

Here is an option, at least on mine. The angle plate weldment that attaches end of inner extension tube to bottom of slide has 4 grade 8 bolts holding end of tube assembly to the weldment. You could jack up the end of the slide to support it, remove the 4 bolts, slot the holes downward on the weldment plate, jack the slide up a bit more (1/4" in Scout's & TOJO's cases), & re-install the 4 bolts using oversize grade 8 washers on both sides. Need a die grinder w/carving bit and some goggles & mask as you'll produce a fair bit of fine shavings; probably take 3 hours as the grinding would take a while. Obviously best to check the teflon pads first.

Tags
slide