Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Slide jerky motion

I am looking at possibly purchasing a 2002 34FD, very nice coach in very good condition. Appears to be very well cared for. I am not familiar with how smoothly slides operate (my old gas coach does not have a slide). On this Alpine, when the living room/ kitchen slide is being extended, it does not move out smoothly, but seems to give a couple of light jerks and seems to rock at the top of the slide when it jerks. No noise or popping while extending. It retracts smoothly. The owner seems knowledgeable about the coach and states that it has always done this since he's owned it.
As I understand it, the forward slide is hydraulic on this coach.
Is this normal operation for the slide or are there some things I should look for prior to possible purchase.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ info.
Steve
Steveo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Sounds pretty much like my slide-out. Mine will even pop sometimes when extending due to the seals sticking after sitting for a long period of time. You'll probably see it sort of "wiggle" end-to-end as the equalizer does its thing. I don't think I'd worry about what you're seeing.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A slide should move in or out with a relatively smooth movement and very little strange noise.

If it is popping, grinding or creaking, something is not right.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Initial start up is a little noisy instantaneously. Then after the "break-away" from its settled position (extended or retracted) it is quiet and smooth, until it is fully opened or closed.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

Steveo7.Mine extends and retracts the same way and has since I've owned it.My bedroom slide is smooth in and out.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #6

Thank you all for your responses. Wiggle from side to side may be a good description of what I am seeing. No popping, grinding or creaking. Just a clunk as it reaches full extension. Seems to fit flush from inside when extended and fits the coach body well when retracted. I feel more confident about it now, especially knowing others have experienced similar operation. At the same time, I am very capable mechanically and would do an inspection/ adjustment/ repair as necessary. After 40 years in automotive/ light truck service departments, a slide mechanism would be a new experience for me. Close to making an offer, hopefully will become an Alpine Coach owner.
Thanks again,
Steve
Steveo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide