Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #1

Question Slide Leaking?

Hoping this is easy fix- Tucking coach in at storage lot 2 weeks ago, on my walk around, noticed hydraulic fluid leaking out of bottom of main slide above basement door. We were in a hurry so I figured I would address it later. It was slowly running down top of basement door. Possible hose on ceiling of basement? Any ideas? Thank you. 2002 MDDS
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #2

….hose connections for main slide are all on the passenger side--"assume" your leak is on the driver's side.....unfortunately, the ram end seal[s] on the hydraulic cylinder[s] can leak and run out the end of the slide support arm[s]….the cylinders are buried inside the support arms....on my 2003, I had one that has leaked but eventually quit, might have been due to long periods of low/non-use????.... depending on model and year of Alpine--rams can be a major effort to remove and fix....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:58 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. Do you think the slide will still function without this 1 ram, or will all the hydraulic fluid run out?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Thank you for the reply. Do you think the slide will still function without this 1 ram, or will all the hydraulic fluid run out?
The slide should still function with a ram leak...unless it's completely failed and gushing oil.
Be sure to check the fluid level in the HWH reservoir as per the owners manual. Then run it and monitor the situation. Good luck.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #5

Just a question:

If hydraulic pressure does bleed off, won't that allow that end of the slide to "creep" out?

It is my understanding that hydraulic pressure is used to keep the slide IN when it is stowed.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #6

Brett has it exactly right--slide is held in place by hydraulic pressure....mine was a small leak and only one of the two rams was leaking so I didn't experience slide creep....as also stated, rams will continue to work but it will be messy and you will need to refill reservoir from time to time.....

Generally, the rear main slide ram is easier to R&R....rams have to be removed from passenger side, so the front one is often inside HWH pump compartment and the outside fenders/door frame gets in the way....exact location may vary by year and model....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Commercial Member

with the slide retracted, hit the retract side of the switch. hold for four or five seconds. this pressures up the retract side so the slide will go out evenly.
when the slide is extended, and it leaks down, hit the extend side, and that pressures up the extend side, then it will retract evenly. sound slightly off? try it. it works.
lastly, get it fixed. it wont last long.
paul maddox
i work for hwh corp. i do not solicit part sales or service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide