Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2022, 08:16 PM   #1

Slide Out Adjustments

Hello fellow RVers. I have a 2005 alpine 36 MD. I need to adjust the main slide out. How can I get my hands on information to adjust the slide out?
Ernie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2022, 10:37 PM   #2

Not sure there is much of anything in writing--I have made several posts on the forum for this issue regarding main slide "adjustments" on my 2003. What do you have in mind for an adjustment?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:59 PM   #3

If I can find drawings on the construction of the slide out. I can make any adjustments needed. The lower portion of the main slide comes out too far.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:07 PM   #4

Interesting--there is perimeter flange around the sides and top of the slide that keeps it from going out "too far." The hydraulic ram arms are connected to the floor of the slide. The top of the slide simply follows the bottom, unless obstructed. Again, not sure there are drawings--pretty much what you can see is how it works.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #5

What are you calling too far? And what are you basing that on?
Old 09-26-2022, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda67bnl View Post
What are you calling too far? And what are you basing that on?
The lower portion of the slide out when extended extends about 3 inches more than the top. The slide also drags on the floor for about the first 5 inches when extending.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:39 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie M. View Post
The lower portion of the slide out when extended extends about 3 inches more than the top. The slide also drags on the floor for about the first 5 inches when extending.
Both my Georgetown slides are like that. For my coach that is normal. The way to check if it is normal is to ascertain that the seals on the sides, the top and the bottom are all flush with the inside wall of the motorhome wall when the slides are extended.

As for the dragging. Can't help you much there. Mine drag too. I tried to adjust but couldn't seem to make any headway. I made a "SKI" about 6" wide and just long enough to go from the edge of slide out to the opposite wall. I used 3/16" plywood. I place it where the slide makes the most contact with the floor. When the slide starts it rides up onto the plywood and slides on the plywood using it as a buffer between the slide bottom and the floor. See the included pictures. When the slide is out I pick up my "SKI" and store it out of sight.

Do an internet search for RV Slideout Skis. You will find several variations for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1040.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	377402   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1041.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	377404  

Old 09-27-2022, 04:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie M. View Post
On my ‘01, the bottom of the slide is out more than the top, when viewed from outside, but not 3 inches. It’s flush against the wall on the inside though. See pic. The distance between the red lines is more than the yellow ones. I’ll put a tape measure on it just out of curiosity to see the difference.

I don’t know all the ins and outs of how the slide operates or adjusts. There is a small amount of ram adjustment in the yellow circle. The red circle is an adjustable stop, that sets how far the slide goes in. The blue circles are nylon/plastic slide bushings. Make sure those are there and intact.

Is your slide flush with the coach wall inside? Has the flooring been changed to something thicker than factory causing the slide to drag?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	397825FD-9433-495D-BB02-ED41EA5CE84C.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	377427   Click image for larger version

Name:	74858F72-72EF-45B6-8D70-30F0A1F760B3.jpg
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	377428  

Name:	EB0A3E05-3C51-4348-8139-E75F1722536D.jpg
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	377429  
Old 10-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #9

Thank you for your reply. The main slide will drag on the floor for about the first 6 inches of movement. Makes very serious noise, when movement is activated.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #10

Thank you for your reply. The slide is flush on the inside when extended. The flooring is original. The slide makes a lot of noise for about the first 6 inches of extension and drags on the floor.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #11

Thank you for your reply. Thank you for the great idea. I also forgot to mention when looking at the slide from the inside. Looking towards the drivers side. The left side of the main slide is 1 inch lower than the right side. What ever the reason. It makes a loud grinding sound when activated.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Does the slide drag on the floor at both the forward and back ends? There are white plastic support pads on the interior floor under the slide. The support pads are mounted in aluminum channels that are screwed to the floor. Try to get a look under there and make sure none of the pads are broken/missing. If the slide box is not supported evenly it could tip a bit moving in and out.

The slide moves on a pair of rectangular steel tubes that have the hydraulic rams inside them. Each one of the pair has an inner and outer tube. The last picture posted above with the blue circle shows the tubes and mentions the four plastic pads that support the inner tube. There are also four more pads on the inboard end of both of those rectangular steel tubes. You need to see that all of those are not damaged/missing or you will have too much movement of the inner tube inside the outer tube and then tipping of the slide box when it moves in and out. To inspect the inboard pads I think you are going to have to take some stuff apart.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #13

When Western RV welded the outer tubes to the frame, if they didn't pull the inner tubes out, they would burn the Teflon pads on the inner tube. I had Western RV remove the slide and replace all the pads. That fixed my adjustment problem.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:55 PM   #14

Main slide

On our 2001 newmar the slide when Al the way
In does not sit flush with the side of the motorhome. One side is a bit lower causing it to not sit flush in the frame. How would one adjust that?
motorcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out