Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Smart Wheel module

After an internet search and smart wheel search of the owners forum I have come up empty handed looking for a SM 209 controller. Does anyone know if they are available?
If not, is there a popular work around?
Any and all help most appreciated.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Just to follow up:
I have had intermittent light issues ever since I bought this coach.
The headlights would work fine then they wouldn’t, the marker lights would work then they wouldn’t etc….Never a problem with the cruise or wipers.
This intermittent problem suggested to me a poor connection or a poor ground.
So last time out we are ready to depart at about 5:00 am. No headlights! All other lights work fine. Cruise worked fine, wipers and washers all worked fine. Went on our trip no problems other than the headlights.
Now I am tackling this headlight issue. I searched online for VIP Smart Wheel info and parts as there is some reference to these parts causing problems on some of the other forums.
I did find some sm210 modules supposedly available in December from NWRV.
In the mean time I found a drawing and troubleshooting document.
As per the doc I checked all of the connections for continuity, power and ground and thought I had found the issue in a poor terminal to board connection as my lights started working upon testing. However, now the wipers won’t work and the marker lights stay on after I turn the switch off!
So as I ran through the printed troubleshooting procedure. The conclusion is that the SM209 module is bad as per the outcome of the tests.Not being ready to walk away and wait on a 300.00 electronic part that may or may not fix the issue I run through the whole procedure again and get the same results. No wiper/washer and the markers stay on.
With one more look at the schematic I see that the negative side of the mpx should go to ground. Checking it with the meter it shows open to the module and to the harness. The wire right next to this one in the terminal plug is a dedicated ground so I jumped rhose two wires and everything now works. I don’t know how long it will work but it is working now.
If anyone has similar issues I would be glad to share details.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #3

I love happy endings.

And, folks who are willing to explore beyond throwing a new 'black box' at an issue. Congrats!!

I'd be curious about what the adjacent GND switched and if the combined current flow might be an issue.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
It would be the ground side of the backlit buttons on the smart wheel. I wouldn’t think there is much chance of overloading it as it supports the mpx signal from the wheel.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Haunted Headlights!

Thank you for sharing! We started experiencing our low beam headlights randomly flashing on and off a couple years ago in our 2001 Alpine 40' class A. Fuse was blown, so we replaced it but it immediately blew again. We suspected the Smart Wheel must have an issue at that time but didn't have the know-how to deal with it. We just disconnected the headlights and only drive in daylight hours. Now, once in a while the dash lights start to go off randomly!

Since we still need to address this, can we get a copy of the troubleshooting guide you mentioned? Also, did you have to pull the steering wheel to access anything?
Suejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #6

Thank you for bringing this up.... is the same module/test procedure for the 2001 ?

My issue is i'll get a random wiper swipe, and or not be able to turn the wipers off, and have to hit one of the other buttons on the wheel (can't recall which one it is) to make them turn off.
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I will dig up the procedure and either send a link or post the document some how.
From the descriptions Suejo’s issue sounds like a possible dimmer switch issue.
Winstonwolf’s sounds like a ground issue that may be addressed in the same manner as my issue.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Ok. Here is the address for the guide as well as some other info.
About 2001-2002 the pads on the smart wheel became backlit. This added 2 more (+&-) wires to the smartwheel. This becomes a factor when this new circuit is not grounded.
If you will look at the schematic at the end of the document you will see the wiring diagram.
My issue seemed to be that the #3 pin on j1 was showing open with my meter. On the drawing it shows that it shows it should be grounded. I jumped it to the #2 pin as shown and my issues seem to have been corrected. Please let me know if I might be of further assistance.
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electr...leshooting.pdf
Old 10-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We will look into it!
Suejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #10

ty for that link lazybyrd
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote