Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Solar Panel Wattage

Now that I have decided to buy new batteries, it's time for a solar panel redo. How many watts are enough? My coach has a residential fridge and we do our share of "dry" camping. I also have 6 6 volt house batteries(t-105s). 400 seems like the minimum. I understand that the inverter takes a tremendous amount just to "invert", let alone power things. I would like to do this only once, which is not normally how I do things. Please tell me your experiences and/or ideas.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

There is no definitive answer to this.

You have to weight the cost, complexity and weight on the roof of the additional solar panels and smart controller against additional generator run time.

For many, house battery banks are sized to provide overnight power without supplemental electricity from solar or generator. 400 amp-hrs should do that.

Adding more battery capacity is the same trade-off: cost and weight vs additional generator run time.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Solar Panel Wattage

Pat, we have a '05 with residential fridge and two 50 watt solar panels (standard from WRV). We have no problems (with a battery bank in new condition) running 2 - 3 days without running the genny. Obviously, if the battery bank has aged or we do not get a full day of sun, this will be less, it also depends upon what else we run during this time.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Community Moderator

How many solar watts do you have now? How long does your battery bank last on average until you reach 50% SOC ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have 400 watts of solar and 4 8D batteries. How long can I go boondocking?
I don't know yet. Due to the DW's poor health we never got to find out. Now that she died I haven't yet had the time to go anywhere.
I know overnight, then a 600 mile drive then overnight is no problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
6, 6 Vdc batteries
1000 watts solar

The ratio of AC to DC is 1 to 10, 1 AC = 10 DC. The inverter uses at least 5 amps.
Do i have to run generator? yes because every few days, the batteries need a good charge. Starting in Bulk mode 80 amps, then 2.5 Hrs in absorption.
Every 12 to 24 hours it will make ice and defrost. That will jump up power consumption to 20 Amps DC by itself.

My system cost me around $2000, this includes the Midnite 150 Classic Controller.
Misc part $200. Made brackets out of angle aluminium.

For those of you bean counters
Generator 3/4 Gal full load. Since my generator does not run with a full load, I use about 1/2 gallons Diesel.
Ok, without solar, I would run the generator in the morning 2 hours. At this time I would use all the heavy electric items. Next run at night, watch TV and anything else. Run for another 2 to 4 Hrs.

Currently, I do not like to elevate panels, so this year I am adding 600 additional watts
Cost less then $1 a watt.

By the way I run 45 Voc panels.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on what you want to do. Just battery maintaince or never run generator with lots of power usage? I had 600 watts on previous coach. Planning 1200-1600 watts on current coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

paspad1, I currently have only one 50 watt panel (it's what the coach came with). I also am in the process of replacing my house batteries because they are shot. I just returned from 12 days of dry camping in Reno(air races) and the generator got a workout. I'm new to this coach so it's a learning curve but I don't want to go through the whole generator running constantly thing again. Trying to figure out the best battery/solar panel combo for my lifestyle.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our rig has 1380 watts of flat mounted roof panels (~ 2 inches off roof) and 660 amps of batteries. In good (as in poor - fair - good - excellent) sun we can sit indefinitely w/o generator if we do not need A/C and reach full charge state by 1 - 2 PM.

Loads include:
- PSW 2800 inverter always on
- RR w/icemaker in steady use
- MW in 3 - 5 minute runs ~ 4 times/day
- Water pump
- Sat TV antenna up - TV on 2 - 3 hours a day
- LED lights as needed
- AH to provide hot water and rare heat
- Phone/computer charge ups every other day

We could do this with less solar wattage - but - when conditions are less than 'good' we still do OK with generator runs of ~ 2 hours a day. Let us know how you proceed and what experience you have - thanks ...

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel