Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Solid wall under big window ?

Hello everyone,
I had a water leak on the top right hand side of the big window (looking out) that dripped down from inside the frame.
By now I have taken out 3 windows in total and resealed them using a seal made by sealsesign. It’s a adhesive coated closed cell round foam strip. I think it works really well but that is a different story.
I am intimidated by the size / weight of the big window and I think my wife and I cannot handle it by ourselves. So I just put a bead of Sikaflex on the outside top of the window. So far so good.
Cathrin took the mirrors off by the fridge wall 2 days ago and noticed a tear in the vinyl below the window ... and that is where everything started.
I digged into the wall mainly because of a musky smell coming at me and expected the typical thin top wood sheeting and then foam.
That is not the case. Under the window I have a solid 1.5” of plywood. I removed about a 3ft section of it until I have now good plywood showing no signs of water intrusion.
So now I am contemplating weather to take all of that section under the entire window out... probably yes.
And should I replace it with solid wood (ply) or go the wood-foam-wood route?
My question is does anybody know or think that the solid wood is original and provides some structural support (my thought is no it does not) or was this a former repair job ?
Thanks for your input
PS: yes i will take the big window out and reseal it.
Joerg
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

Sounds like you have stumped the great minds of this forum! I had bubbling of the wall paper about 8" above the floor below the drivers side window and cut a hole to look for moisture and it was solid plywood to the exterior fiberglass. Also used an electronic stud finder the measures density and it seems like every place I tested was solid up approx. 18" plus from the floor. My guess is your plywood is original. I would replace with plywood and glue it to the outside layer.
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Schuby,
thank you very much for this information.
I took the big window out today. I was able to spot the areas where there was no seal. Just like in the other 3 windows that I have resealed the butyl tape had managed to lay right in the radius and completely missed the flat area of the wall that buts up against the frame. So 4 of my windows failed in this way and leaked.
I have removed the wall 1/2 the way now towards the center of the window and it is a major pain. Wood chisel and Fein Multimaster are the tools I am using. I could just leave it as the wood is still very strong but the top as well as the bottom have some water damage so I will do it right and remove the whole thing.
I think you are right it was solid from the factory. I thought there is a structural member in the center of the window (vertical) but so far nothing. And today taking the window out I was able to push down the aluminum brace that runs horizontally under the window with my thump. So yes there is some support needed under that window.
Again thanks for that information.
Joerg
Old 06-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

And here a pic from today’s status. No rain till tomorrow... i hope
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	248159Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	248160
Old 06-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

I had a similar issue with the small bedroom window, hopefully you don't have any fogging of the insulating glass. Would be a shame to have the widow removed and not fix that as long as it is out! What a JOB[emoji85]
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
I had a similar issue with the small bedroom window, hopefully you don't have any fogging of the insulating glass. Would be a shame to have the widow removed and not fix that as long as it is out! What a JOB[emoji85]

There is a little bit of fogging going on but I will keep that for a later time.
All the windows I resealed I taped off before I removed them and marked also the exact location. All came out fine - I have no idea what i was thinking doing the big window. I did not tape off the surrounding area and I had a mess to deal with. And since I had someone else help me I could not pay attention to all the help they supplied ... like rubbing the black off the the window frame until the metal shows ... .
But the good news is the window is in and throughout 2 storms it is water tight. So I am happy.

Tags
wind, window