Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #1

Speedo replacement

Does anyone know if the speedo is still available. The previous owner told me that at around 65 the needle hits the backing and causes it to read wrong but thought that he had pulled it away and fixed it. 2nd trip in it started doing it and would hang up. It always resets if you cycle the key but on long drives it hangs at stop then starts up at around 60 thinking its at zero so it shows me pegging the speedo doing 40-50. Reset the key and dont hit 65 and it works perfect
Theturboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theturboman View Post
Does anyone know if the speedo is still available. The previous owner told me that at around 65 the needle hits the backing and causes it to read wrong but thought that he had pulled it away and fixed it. 2nd trip in it started doing it and would hang up. It always resets if you cycle the key but on long drives it hangs at stop then starts up at around 60 thinking its at zero so it shows me pegging the speedo doing 40-50. Reset the key and dont hit 65 and it works perfect
As far as replacement availability is concerned, I really can't say.
I would think a good instrument repair shop could likely repair your existing speedometer for a nominal fee. A few of those places still exist, look around. As a stop gap measure, download a decent speedo app for your phone. I happen to use "Cool Niks" since the speedo in my old Willys pickup probably hasn't worked since 1970 something. It's more for insuring I'm not impeding traffic lol...
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #3

My 2001 has the same problem. Turn the engine off and on and it works fine. Before Alpine went out of business they said to clean the contacts on one of the fuses on the roof of the battery compartment. That seemed to work, but I don't remember which one (there are not that many). I rely on my GPS for speed.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDavidson View Post
My 2001 has the same problem. Turn the engine off and on and it works fine. Before Alpine went out of business they said to clean the contacts on one of the fuses on the roof of the battery compartment. That seemed to work, but I don't remember which one (there are not that many). I rely on my GPS for speed.
Mine seems to hit the backing. Previous owner said he though he pulled it away but it looks like paper or vinyl. I may need to take it back out and try to pull it away from the needle
Old 09-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #5

You might also check with Colaw RV salvage, last I looked they had a couple of Alpines they were parting out...
Old 09-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo7 View Post
You might also check with Colaw RV salvage, last I looked they had a couple of Alpines they were parting out...
Thanks just left them a VM
Old 09-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Free2Go
Speedo Replacement

Actia, Elkhart, IN $300. Old gauge no longer made warning noises and LCD screen had lost pixels.
Free2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free2Go View Post
Actia, Elkhart, IN $300. Old gauge no longer made warning noises and LCD screen had lost pixels.
Are you saying this is the manufacture and they are available? or a repair facility
Old 09-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #9

I'm not sure if the gauges in a 2002 are Actia gauges, so double check and post the manufacturer here.

Your description sounds more like an electronic issue than a physical hanging up of the needle. If the needle was stuck, physically, it wouldn't return to zero when the ignition was turned off. Also, you state it will add speed from its "stuck point" so you are pegging the speedo when you are going only 40-50 mph. In other words, 60mph on the speedo is the new zero.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I'm not sure if the gauges in a 2002 are Actia gauges, so double check and post the manufacturer here.

Your description sounds more like an electronic issue than a physical hanging up of the needle. If the needle was stuck, physically, it wouldn't return to zero when the ignition was turned off. Also, you state it will add speed from its "stuck point" so you are pegging the speedo when you are going only 40-50 mph. In other words, 60mph on the speedo is the new zero.
Yes Larry that is correct if I keep it under 60-65 it works perfect. If I hit 70ish it hits the backing and then when i come to a stop it stays up there thinking its at zero and starts from there. Turn the coach off and it returns to Zero not sure how that happens
Old 09-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theturboman View Post
Yes Larry that is correct if I keep it under 60-65 it works perfect. If I hit 70ish it hits the backing and then when i come to a stop it stays up there thinking its at zero and starts from there. Turn the coach off and it returns to Zero not sure how that happens
Only speculating here.
I believe the needle moves through electro-magnetic impulse. Possibly, when it gets "stuck", there may be a glitch and the impulses are still being generated but the coach is not moving. Turning off the ignition cuts all power and the needle returns to zero. To me, that is the only way the needle could return to zero because being physically stuck to the face of the speedo would not allow it to return with power off.

Now, all of this will be moot if you can see evidence of scraping of the needle against the backing of the speedo.

Again, this is all just a guess, but your problem seems to be with the electronics of the speedo, IMO, possibly a module or sensor.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #12

The RPM gauge is bad on my coach. I looked for a replacement 4 years ago when the coach was new to me, but didn't find a source I felt comfortable with. I bought a Scan Gauage D from Advance Auto. It plugs into the data port under the dash (on the passenger side) and will read out anything (including speed) that comes from the control unit. I use the Scan D for RPM, Battery Voltage, and Trans Temps mostly. The data fields are easy to change on the fly and I have had the 4th field programed for water temps, boost, horsepower, fuel mileage, etc. just for over the road entertainment. Also, the Scan D can be used to read engine diagonistic codes too. My Scan D is mounted under my GPS on my dash to the right of the warning lights.

andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:39 PM   #13

Here is what it looks like at idle. Just touches the backing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210920_093801.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	343730  
Old 09-20-2021, 09:46 PM   #14

Call Gene's Speedometer Shop.. cinti, oh 513 563 4280 they have been in business for 60 plus yrs.. they have done great job on my other vehicles.. they are easy to get out.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then

Tags
ace, replace, replacement