Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #1

In the "Review by an Alpine Owner" I noticed that Jeff and Cheryl really liked the combination washer/dryer. What I'd heard was frustrations with slowness, wrinkled clothes and not getting the clothes very clean.
I'd prefer the combination W/D because we could have it in a 34' Alpine, but I want a happy traveling wife too. Anybody else have positive or negatives about the Splendide? BTW, who makes it?

Thanks,

Clark
ClarkBowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #2

In the "Review by an Alpine Owner" I noticed that Jeff and Cheryl really liked the combination washer/dryer. What I'd heard was frustrations with slowness, wrinkled clothes and not getting the clothes very clean.
I'd prefer the combination W/D because we could have it in a 34' Alpine, but I want a happy traveling wife too. Anybody else have positive or negatives about the Splendide? BTW, who makes it?

Thanks,

Clark
Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #3

Clark
Not alot of difference other than splendide will use less water, take up less space,& both you can only run 1 at a time. Most everyone I know will still use the laundry mat on a regular basis. If you are going to be doing alot of boondocking I think you would want the splendid,also on a shorter coach it will still leave you some space. Here is a link to splendid.
http://www.splendide.com/ good luck any more questions let me know. Ron
RVRONINPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:54 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Clark,

We had the stacked washer/dryer in our 2004 and I loved it, but when we decided to trade for our 2007 quad slide there is no space for stacked units. I must admit I was skeptical about the Splendide combo unit, but I think it does a good job. The positive is you can put a load of clothes in, set it, leave and then come home to a dry load of clothes. Another positive is the very little amount of water that is used compared to the stacked units. The negatives are that you cannot wash very much at one time and it does take a long time to complete the entire cycle. But, I just plan to do a small amount at a time and go do whatever we want to do while the cycle goes on its merry way. I only wash our clothes in this unit and take towels and sheets home to wash. If you were on the road a lot, you would probably use a laundromat, as Ron suggests.

All in all, I would not want to be without our washer/dryer.

Gail (the lady of the house)
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #5

Ron.....
My biggest surprise was finding out that Splendide is 40 miles away in Clackamas, Oregon.
It was also interesting to hear how Gail and John use their Splendide and that they still use laundomats. It seems like you run a load or two everytime you have a a shore water connection.
Are they quiet enough that they don't disturb you?
Is there any reason that your approach, Gail and John, wouldn't work for fulltiming?

Also, thanks for taking the time to answer my multiple questions. We bought our first motorhome a Trek 6 months ago and while we like it, Donna is yearning for slides, washer/dryer and a separate bedroom. This time I want to research things better as we have a clearer idea of our likes and dislikes.

Thanks,

Clark
Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Clark,

If we are sitting in the front of our rig, we don't even know the washer/dryer is at work until we feel the vibration when it is spinning...it is pretty darn quiet. The drum in the unit is fairly small, so you really can't wash (actually drying is more the issue, I think) larger items. Jeans seem to be okay, but towels and sheets are just too big.

I don't see why you couldn't use this combo unit for fulltiming, as long as you understand the limitations. We aren't into dry camping, but I don't see why you can't use it then, due to the limited amount of water it requires. However, you need to consider the use of your stored water and capacity of your holding tanks if you're going to be boondocking for a while. (ALPINES HAVE BIG TANKS...not that I'm trying to influence you or anything!) I don't really know the effect on power draw and whether that would be an issue, but Splendide would probably be able to answer that question for you.

Good luck with your search! WE LOVE OUR ALPINE!!!!

Gail
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #7

Clark, we have a 2005, 34' Alpine with the Splendide washer/dryer. My wife would not be without it. You throw the wash in, a little soap, pick the type of wash, set the dryer at 100 minutes or more. Turn it on and walk out the door. When you get back it is totally washed and dried. Who cares if it's slow. We don't boondock so we run the washer frequently. It's easier and it's their electric. As I said, my wife would not be without it.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Clark,

We would not have a coach without one. We never need to use the Laundromat. When in the damp Northwest we put our damp towels in for 30min. and they are ready to hang up all dry.

Splendide is made in Italy, it is a well made machine. This type of washer dryer combo is very common in Italy and France.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #9

Hello Gary......

Thanks.
I'm glad to hear this. I'm the one who would like the 34'. Donna, however, is sceptical. She is afraid the low water usuage means it will not get all the soap out and it will build up in the clothes.
Have you had any problems with that?
BTW, we are sure missing the Southwest sun. We plan to be in Moab next April with friends and kids. We hope to see you and Renee there.

Clark
Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVRONINPA:
Clark
Not alot of difference other than splendide will use less water, take up less space,& both you can only run 1 at a time. Most everyone I know will still use the laundry mat on a regular basis. If you are going to be doing alot of boondocking I think you would want the splendid,also on a shorter coach it will still leave you some space. Here is a link to splendid.
http://www.splendide.com/ good luck any more questions let me know. Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hate to disagree with you, but I use ours almost exclusively - - I hate schlepping to a laundromat and only do bath mats and rugs in a laundromat. We're full timers and generally do a load each day and that takes care of it. Yes, the loads are smaller - but with only 2 people so what. Takes longer to dry, but I don't sit and watch it going round and round. The key to reduced wrinkles is to set the time for dry to zero to start, when the wash cycle ends, take the clothes out and shake them (the spin literally sucks them to the wall of the drum) then reset to dry with 30 or 50 minutes (you'll figure out what works best) and take out clothes and hang if they are still damp. For things like underwear, towels, etc., just set the time and take them out when finished. It takes a little practice to figure out what the ideal load size is, but I wouldn't fulltime without one.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #11

I'm with Barbara and those that use their Splendide almost exclusively. I only use a campground laudromat for rugs. I put one queen size sheet and one pillowcase in at a time. Buddy does two sets of clothes. I can do either two or three sets, though I usually make small loads of separated items (all slacks together, tops together, etc.)

I really like the unit and would not want to be witout it. We wash something almost every day. I have learned pretty much how long various thicknesses of clothes take to dry. I just set it and leave. I do not do the step of doing the wash, shaking them, and then drying.

As others have said, it is SOOOO quiet. When I lived in the Middle East in the 70's, this type of combo was all we had. When I came home, I bought a front loading European machine and have never had anything but those ever since.

If you want to run the generator, you can even do the laundry while going down the road.

Bev
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #12

We are fulltimmers since 2000. Have had the two piece Sears units, JUNK.....Dryer was find. Washer was JUNK.

Now in our '96 Safari, we have a '96 Splendide, vented, and it is the OEM that was installed when the rig was built. We love it.

Still works great. As for getting the clothes clean, it does a better job than the Sears two piece.

As for drying, on the permanent press stuff, dry it on the low heat and they come out almost wrinkle free. Just don't crowd it.

Jim
'96 Safari 3540
Looking for a 36FDDS/36MDDS/40DS
Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My wife wouldn't be without the unit. I don't know how to work the darn thing but she swears by it.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:05 AM   #14

Clark, You might remind Donna to walk in any Lowes, Home Depot or any other washer/dryer sales organization and look at the machines that are right up front. They are all front loaders.Many years ago Bendix made a front loading washing machine and it was terrific. The agitator in the top loader truly beats the H*** out of your clothes. The new washing machines for sale for home use are almost all front loaders.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote