Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #1

Start up question

From reading another thread regarding start up sequences in a different brand coach, I now have to ask the Alpine community a question.

I have a 2004 36 FDDS. When I turn on the ignition, I let all the dash lights run through their display before turning to "start."

I do not have a "Wait to Start" light, or at least, I have never seen one displayed, possibly because I don't live in a cold climate. My former coach had such a light, and I would wait until it went out before starting. Now, I wait until all dash lights go out except the "Eng.Maint." light and the parking brake light.

Here's my question, should I also wait for the "Eng Maint." light to go out as well? I have, at times, not turned to "start" for a few seconds after only the "Eng Maint" light remains, and it seems that it doesn't go out by itself unless the engine is started. Of course, all this time, the alarm is screaming.

Does anyone know if the "Eng Maint." goes out by itself before start up?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
From reading another thread regarding start up sequences in a different brand coach, I now have to ask the Alpine community a question.

I have a 2004 36 FDDS. When I turn on the ignition, I let all the dash lights run through their display before turning to "start."

I do not have a "Wait to Start" light, or at least, I have never seen one displayed, possibly because I don't live in a cold climate. My former coach had such a light, and I would wait until it went out before starting. Now, I wait until all dash lights go out except the "Eng.Maint." light and the parking brake light.

Here's my question, should I also wait for the "Eng Maint." light to go out as well? I have, at times, not turned to "start" for a few seconds after only the "Eng Maint" light remains, and it seems that it doesn't go out by itself unless the engine is started. Of course, all this time, the alarm is screaming.

Does anyone know if the "Eng Maint." goes out by itself before startup?
I always turn the key to on and wait anywhere from 20 - 60 seconds based on how long it's been since last started. This allows the lift pump to come up to pressure and energize the fuel system. In fairness if the system is solid it's shouldn't need to be pressurized but I do it anyhow.

Thisis the same cycle I run through 2-3 times after changing the fuel filter
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #3

I have to admit that I am not sure about the Eng. Maint light while waiting to start, but I can tell you that my '04 does have a Wait to Start light, and it does come on, and quickly goes off within seconds. And needless to say I don't live in a cold climate, and don't often travel to them either.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

'Wait to start--- engine air preheater circuit
Standard is they are not energized unless air intake temp drops below 66*F

When energized the Battery Voltage gauge should drop from ~14V down to ~10V then go back to ~14V when they go off
Cold temps they will cycle on/off so as to not drain battery down
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I have to admit that I am not sure about the Eng. Maint light while waiting to start, but I can tell you that my '04 does have a Wait to Start light, and it does come on, and quickly goes off within seconds. And needless to say I don't live in a cold climate, and don't often travel to them either.
This^^, is interesting, given you have the same year and model coach as me.

I have never even seen the "Wait to Start" light even blink. I understand the function, as a warning for the heater grids, but even my former DP, which was in the same climate, never used the grids yet the "Wait" light would illuminate, then go out.

I still wait to start, but there is no cue supplied by an extinguishing "Wait" light. Guess I'll just keep doing the same procedure as all seems to work well. On occasion, usually after driving and shutting down to check in for example, I will forget and just turn the key to "start" without waiting. In those circumstances, the engine does not start or even turn over. I simply turn off the key, turn it back on and wait for the dash lights to cycle, and start right up.

Does anyone have a print out of all the dash lights on the display for a 2004 Alpine? I would like to know the location of the "Wait" light on the display and see if it even lights during the cycling.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Does anyone have a print out of all the dash lights on the display for a 2004 Alpine? I would like to know the location of the "Wait" light on the display and see if it even lights during the cycling.
Sorry, but my coach is in Oregon (without me) getting a new floor. Otherwise I would try to get you a picture of the lights.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Does anyone know if the "Eng Maint." goes out by itself before start up?
The Eng Maint light is only indicating a problem in the engine operating system. In this case, because it is not running, it means it is not reading oil pressure. As soon as you start it the light should go out. 2-3 seconds as the oil pressure comes up. If it does not. and you are reading oil pressure. You have other problems.

You could sit there until the battery goes dead and the ENG MAINT light will never go out. Until you start it.

As for your wait to start. That indicator is either for glow plugs, if your engine has them, but most likely it is for the air intake preheater. When mine is cold, it will stay on a long time. 30-45 seconds. If I have just shut it off a few minutes ago, it won't even come on. Also, when it is cold and I have the engine preheater on, for a couple hours or even overnight, it also will not light. Just starts. When it has been sitting for days weeks or months I also get the "low air" light.

You don't say what chassis, but typically they have 2 rows of 10 lights. Take a flashlight, with everything off and shine it across your indicator lights and see if you see one that says "wait to start" You may have a burnt out bulb.

Another test, to see if you actually have glow plugs or intake heater, is turn it directly to start and crank it. "not a recommended process to do often" It will crank for quite a bit before it fires. If I wait until the "wait to start" light goes out, or have the engine block heater turned on. It will start on the first or second crank.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
This^^, is interesting, given you have the same year and model coach as me.

I have never even seen the "Wait to Start" light even blink. I understand the function, as a warning for the heater grids, but even my former DP, which was in the same climate, never used the grids yet the "Wait" light would illuminate, then go out.

I still wait to start, but there is no cue supplied by an extinguishing "Wait" light. Guess I'll just keep doing the same procedure as all seems to work well. On occasion, usually after driving and shutting down to check in for example, I will forget and just turn the key to "start" without waiting. In those circumstances, the engine does not start or even turn over. I simply turn off the key, turn it back on and wait for the dash lights to cycle, and start right up.

These are from a 2005 manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDBE8977-F89C-45BB-B209-549A49FF78EA.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	343838   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF229059-46F5-43DF-8C19-E9ED93416364.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	343839  

Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:10 PM   #9

Should have included this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6CCDC38F-F108-49E0-99D8-E6D06A2BB4CF.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	343840  
Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #10

Wait until the clicking and whirring stops then start......always the best bet. Systems check complete.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #11

Kidgloves, thanks for the picture/explanation of the display, but my layout is completely different.

Amosnandy, I have the Peak chassis which is proprietary to Alpine, but it does have the two rows of lights as you describe. The "Maint." light does, in fact, go out immediately after start. I will take your suggestion and search for the location of the "Wait to Start" light in the display. I am not concerned, really, about its non-illumination as I rarely, if ever, have started in cold weather. It's just that I don't recall ever seeing it or know of it's location. Also, on my previous DP with a Freightliner chassis, the "WAIT" light came on with every initial turn of the key, but would go out immediately after the cycling of the dash lights when doing a restart.

BTW, I cannot turn it to "start" and directly crank it over without allowing the dash lights to cycle. I have done that accidentally and nothing happens, though I have not held the key in the "start" position to see if it eventually turns over.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #12

Could be there’s a built in “wait to start” feature.

I don’t believe I have a 2004 manual in the digital files. Didn’t realize the 04 dash was that much different that 05.

Do you have a manual for your coach?
Old 09-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Could be there’s a built in “wait to start” feature.

I don’t believe I have a 2004 manual in the digital files. Didn’t realize the 04 dash was that much different that 05.

Do you have a manual for your coach?
Yes, but it's not with me now and it is a xerox of a manual that has very low quality photos, to the point that most are unrecognizable in any detail.

Overall, I don't have an issue, just curiosity based on experience with a different chassis, and comments from others with different motorhomes.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #14

We took the coach out yesterday to fuel up prior to a 5-day outing next week. I’d never paid much attention to the “wait” light or any of the other warning lights before starting. The gauges sweeping through their motions always seemed more fascinating.

This time I watched the lights. Indeed, the coiled “glow plug” with “wait” below lit up. It went out when the dash needles swung up to their maximum levels. The coach was inside its non-climate controlled garage, at maybe 80F.

Those are my observations.