Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 4,137
Start up question

From reading another thread regarding start up sequences in a different brand coach, I now have to ask the Alpine community a question.


I have a 2004 36 FDDS. When I turn on the ignition, I let all the dash lights run through their display before turning to "start."



I do not have a "Wait to Start" light, or at least, I have never seen one displayed, possibly because I don't live in a cold climate. My former coach had such a light, and I would wait until it went out before starting. Now, I wait until all dash lights go out except the "Eng.Maint." light and the parking brake light.


Here's my question, should I also wait for the "Eng Maint." light to go out as well? I have, at times, not turned to "start" for a few seconds after only the "Eng Maint" light remains, and it seems that it doesn't go out by itself unless the engine is started. Of course, all this time, the alarm is screaming.


Does anyone know if the "Eng Maint." goes out by itself before start up?
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
From reading another thread regarding start up sequences in a different brand coach, I now have to ask the Alpine community a question.


I have a 2004 36 FDDS. When I turn on the ignition, I let all the dash lights run through their display before turning to "start."



I do not have a "Wait to Start" light, or at least, I have never seen one displayed, possibly because I don't live in a cold climate. My former coach had such a light, and I would wait until it went out before starting. Now, I wait until all dash lights go out except the "Eng.Maint." light and the parking brake light.


Here's my question, should I also wait for the "Eng Maint." light to go out as well? I have, at times, not turned to "start" for a few seconds after only the "Eng Maint" light remains, and it seems that it doesn't go out by itself unless the engine is started. Of course, all this time, the alarm is screaming.


Does anyone know if the "Eng Maint." goes out by itself before startup?
I always turn the key to on and wait anywhere from 20 - 60 seconds based on how long it's been since last started. This allows the lift pump to come up to pressure and energize the fuel system. In fairness if the system is solid it's shouldn't need to be pressurized but I do it anyhow.

Thisis the same cycle I run through 2-3 times after changing the fuel filter
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (74291)-1600W Solar, 13,440Wh (525Ah @24V) LiFePO4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Hemi)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jim A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,822
I have to admit that I am not sure about the Eng. Maint light while waiting to start, but I can tell you that my '04 does have a Wait to Start light, and it does come on, and quickly goes off within seconds. And needless to say I don't live in a cold climate, and don't often travel to them either.
__________________
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 18,304
'Wait to start--- engine air preheater circuit
Standard is they are not energized unless air intake temp drops below 66*F

When energized the Battery Voltage gauge should drop from ~14V down to ~10V then go back to ~14V when they go off
Cold temps they will cycle on/off so as to not drain battery down
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 4,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I have to admit that I am not sure about the Eng. Maint light while waiting to start, but I can tell you that my '04 does have a Wait to Start light, and it does come on, and quickly goes off within seconds. And needless to say I don't live in a cold climate, and don't often travel to them either.
This^^, is interesting, given you have the same year and model coach as me.



I have never even seen the "Wait to Start" light even blink. I understand the function, as a warning for the heater grids, but even my former DP, which was in the same climate, never used the grids yet the "Wait" light would illuminate, then go out.


I still wait to start, but there is no cue supplied by an extinguishing "Wait" light. Guess I'll just keep doing the same procedure as all seems to work well. On occasion, usually after driving and shutting down to check in for example, I will forget and just turn the key to "start" without waiting. In those circumstances, the engine does not start or even turn over. I simply turn off the key, turn it back on and wait for the dash lights to cycle, and start right up.


Does anyone have a print out of all the dash lights on the display for a 2004 Alpine? I would like to know the location of the "Wait" light on the display and see if it even lights during the cycling.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jim A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Does anyone have a print out of all the dash lights on the display for a 2004 Alpine? I would like to know the location of the "Wait" light on the display and see if it even lights during the cycling.
Sorry, but my coach is in Oregon (without me) getting a new floor. Otherwise I would try to get you a picture of the lights.
__________________
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
From reading another thread regarding start up sequences in a different brand coach, I now have to ask the Alpine community a question.


I have a 2004 36 FDDS. When I turn on the ignition, I let all the dash lights run through their display before turning to "start."



I do not have a "Wait to Start" light, or at least, I have never seen one displayed, possibly because I don't live in a cold climate. My former coach had such a light, and I would wait until it went out before starting. Now, I wait until all dash lights go out except the "Eng.Maint." light and the parking brake light.



Here's my question, should I also wait for the "Eng Maint." light to go out as well? I have, at times, not turned to "start" for a few seconds after only the "Eng Maint" light remains, and it seems that it doesn't go out by itself unless the engine is started. Of course, all this time, the alarm is screaming.


Does anyone know if the "Eng Maint." goes out by itself before start up?
The Eng Maint light is only indicating a problem in the engine operating system. In this case, because it is not running, it means it is not reading oil pressure. As soon as you start it the light should go out. 2-3 seconds as the oil pressure comes up. If it does not. and you are reading oil pressure. You have other problems.

You could sit there until the battery goes dead and the ENG MAINT light will never go out. Until you start it.

As for your wait to start. That indicator is either for glow plugs, if your engine has them, but most likely it is for the air intake preheater. When mine is cold, it will stay on a long time. 30-45 seconds. If I have just shut it off a few minutes ago, it won't even come on. Also, when it is cold and I have the engine preheater on, for a couple hours or even overnight, it also will not light. Just starts. When it has been sitting for days weeks or months I also get the "low air" light.

You don't say what chassis, but typically they have 2 rows of 10 lights. Take a flashlight, with everything off and shine it across your indicator lights and see if you see one that says "wait to start" You may have a burnt out bulb.

Another test, to see if you actually have glow plugs or intake heater, is turn it directly to start and crank it. "not a recommended process to do often" It will crank for quite a bit before it fires. If I wait until the "wait to start" light goes out, or have the engine block heater turned on. It will start on the first or second crank.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
This^^, is interesting, given you have the same year and model coach as me.



I have never even seen the "Wait to Start" light even blink. I understand the function, as a warning for the heater grids, but even my former DP, which was in the same climate, never used the grids yet the "Wait" light would illuminate, then go out.


I still wait to start, but there is no cue supplied by an extinguishing "Wait" light. Guess I'll just keep doing the same procedure as all seems to work well. On occasion, usually after driving and shutting down to check in for example, I will forget and just turn the key to "start" without waiting. In those circumstances, the engine does not start or even turn over. I simply turn off the key, turn it back on and wait for the dash lights to cycle, and start right up.


Does anyone have a print out of all the dash lights on the display for a 2004 Alpine? I would like to know the location of the "Wait" light on the display and see if it even lights during the cycling.
These are from a 2005 manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDBE8977-F89C-45BB-B209-549A49FF78EA.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	343838   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF229059-46F5-43DF-8C19-E9ED93416364.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	343839  

Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 925
Should have included this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6CCDC38F-F108-49E0-99D8-E6D06A2BB4CF.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	343840  
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
tmandoug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 336
Wait until the clicking and whirring stops then start......always the best bet. Systems check complete.
__________________
Doug and Renee Tallman
2014 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2018 Chevy High Country
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 4,137
Kidgloves, thanks for the picture/explanation of the display, but my layout is completely different.


Amosnandy, I have the Peak chassis which is proprietary to Alpine, but it does have the two rows of lights as you describe. The "Maint." light does, in fact, go out immediately after start. I will take your suggestion and search for the location of the "Wait to Start" light in the display. I am not concerned, really, about its non-illumination as I rarely, if ever, have started in cold weather. It's just that I don't recall ever seeing it or know of it's location. Also, on my previous DP with a Freightliner chassis, the "WAIT" light came on with every initial turn of the key, but would go out immediately after the cycling of the dash lights when doing a restart.



BTW, I cannot turn it to "start" and directly crank it over without allowing the dash lights to cycle. I have done that accidentally and nothing happens, though I have not held the key in the "start" position to see if it eventually turns over.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 925
Could be there’s a built in “wait to start” feature.

I don’t believe I have a 2004 manual in the digital files. Didn’t realize the 04 dash was that much different that 05.

Do you have a manual for your coach?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 4,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Could be there’s a built in “wait to start” feature.

I don’t believe I have a 2004 manual in the digital files. Didn’t realize the 04 dash was that much different that 05.

Do you have a manual for your coach?
Yes, but it's not with me now and it is a xerox of a manual that has very low quality photos, to the point that most are unrecognizable in any detail.


Overall, I don't have an issue, just curiosity based on experience with a different chassis, and comments from others with different motorhomes.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 925
We took the coach out yesterday to fuel up prior to a 5-day outing next week. I’d never paid much attention to the “wait” light or any of the other warning lights before starting. The gauges sweeping through their motions always seemed more fascinating.

This time I watched the lights. Indeed, the coiled “glow plug” with “wait” below lit up. It went out when the dash needles swung up to their maximum levels. The coach was inside its non-climate controlled garage, at maybe 80F.

Those are my observations.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1of 4 generator start switches will not start genny Jeff753 Monaco Owner's Forum 6 09-05-2013 07:07 PM
2000 tropical start not start charlespool Class A Motorhome Discussions 20 01-17-2013 09:28 AM
Generator Start/Start Switch Issues ExplEngineer Class A Motorhome Discussions 10 10-29-2012 10:12 AM
Only start on Aux Start tulsa Monaco Owner's Forum 18 12-05-2011 02:46 PM
1999 ISC/330 no start, suspect start/run solenoid location question daveshan Cummins Engines 0 11-05-2011 05:36 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.