Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #1

Step by step electronics update/upgrade

I am new to RVING so I am hoping you guys can give me some advice.

Ultimately, in a few years, I want to invest in a large solar system, but for budget reasons I need to do it step by step but also address immediate needs.

1. In the meantime i am replacing the sketchy 12v house batteries with four new 6v flooded. (And also replacing the sketchy grp 31 chassis batteries). Essentially returning it to the way it came from the factory. Ultimately I will go lithium and stick them in the storage pocket under the bed but for now this is the best short term solution.

2. I am replacing the 20 year old Big Boy isolator relay because of chassis charging issues.

3. I want to replace the factory inverter, even though it works, because it makes a noticeable hum ( which can't be good) and again, it's 20 years old.

So here's where I need your help.
Should I just get another plug and play inverter, like upgrade to 3000W pure sine, or should I get something like the big victron inverter/charger/transfer switch combo unit? Or something in between?
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Well if money is no concern those are all great upgrades.
My thoughts are to definitely replace all the batteries if they are "sketchy", or three or more years old. That's just good preventative maintenance anyhow.
I would strongly consider an upgrade to AGM batteries. The cost differential is minimal, the "maintenance free" benefits outweigh the cost alone, IMHO.
Your Freedom 25 inverter is still working. The "humming" noise is perfectly normal. Personally I wouldn't upgrade it until you are ready to upgrade your solar game and switch to lithium house batteries.
Like anything RV related, take it one well thought out step at a time with your end game plan in mind. For what it's worth, battery and solar technology is changing at a rapid pace. We are in the same situation as you, and will be upgrading to six new AGM's this spring. The Freedom 25 inverter still does its thing for us. So does the Onan and the Honda IU2200 generator, but to each their own. Maybe ask other folks how solar works in Wisconsin. It might be great, it might only provide a benefit two months of the year.
Personally, a $8k upgrade to solar with all the bells and whistles just doesn't make sense in the PNW, where we do 75% of our "boondocking".
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #3

...lot of pros/cons on "large" solar projects on this forum----need to match cost with expected outcomes when planning this one....the solenoid in the older Alpine coaches only has to do with your manual battery boost button and has no impact on battery charging--the blue-finned battery isolator on the back wall of bat compartment controls battery charging from the Cummins, the inverter controls when on shore power [Echo charger controls chassis bat while on shore power]....All inverters tend to hummmm....it would be good to upgrade to a PSW inverter....with only 6-six-volt bats, 2000watt inverter should be fine....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #4

Thanks old scout.
This is new and conflicting info for me.
Good thing you posted a reply.

When the alpine comes out of cold storage and I can get back into that compartment I will investigate further. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #5

My inverter is in a compartment at floor level and in the bedroom. If I needed to replace it, I would move it to an area in the basement of the coach, both because of the noise, and to try and improve the cooling for the unit.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:35 AM   #6

Andy, that's a great idea!!!

Another reason it makes sense to get that stuff up off the cabinet floor is incase your water heater bypass valves blow off because they are 20 years old and instantly flood the hall and the bathroom floor, then water starts to seep into the inverter cabinet. I mean, that's just a hypothetical. It's not like that could actually happen. That would be nuts, right?
Old 01-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #7

...to be clear, basement floors can flood too--perhaps more likely than cabin floor...but I do like the idea of moving the inverter out of the bedroom area and to an elevated location in the basement [side wall or ceiling]....but not under the thru-floor drain area under the shower and kitchen--some owners will tell you that is not a good idea....in fact, regardless of bat type, I wouldn't move them into the living area either....
PS: I grew-up in the Richland Center area--stay warm!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #8

Ideal location for an inverter/charger is close to the battery bank, in a different, weather-protected compartment from the batteries.

Agree, in a basement is great and where most coach makers mount theirs.

Because they do produce heat, better not to put them on a ceiling, but to put them on a platform off the floor (for protection from water), but where natural air circulation will allow the heat to rise.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Ideal location for an inverter/charger is close to the battery bank, in a different, weather-protected compartment from the batteries.
I get why you want them close, but not why you want them separate? Are you worried about the inverter making the batteries warm? If they are lithium, that's a win IMHO.

My coach is setup different than yours though. My inverter is already in the basement. It's in the same compartment as my furnace. I'm planning to install my batteries in that compartment to benefit from the "free" warming the other devices will provide.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #10

….think the issue is that the inverter is not weather-proof and depending on type of bat in use, would be susceptible to battery fumes....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 01-25-2020, 03:50 AM   #11

You don't want any kind of spark source in the battery bay with wet cell batteries!
The gases that come off wet cell batteries while charging and discharging are highly explosive.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #12

Good point Jeep.
I was just thinking about keeping the inverter clean. It gets mighty dusty in my battery compartment.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #13

Absolutely no question, an inverter NEVER goes in the same compartment with batteries, particularly wet cell batteries.

Closest protected compartment (shortest wire run) but separate compartment.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #14

If I recall correctly, EM located his inverter in the bay with the holding tanks. Access via the basement door on the passenger side. I didn’t see it, but believe it is mounted to the ceiling with spacers for airflow.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade