Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Steps not Working

So I pulled out the Apex today to get her ready for a 6 week trip and the steps won't go in. I made the drive from the storage unit to home (about 1 mile). When I got home the stairs went in and back out, but only once.

I removed the motor and tried to clean the brushes, etc. I put it back together, added the power and it worked. I then bolted the motor back to the bus and the stairs went in nice and easy. BUT, now they won't come out.

I am wondering if the motor is just shot. But the big problem now is that I can't get to the motor as the stairs up and blocking the 3 bolts. I know I could pull the pin that holds the armature in place, but I can't get to it.

Any ideas?
Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I had similar problems, work wont work no pattern. It was the switch adjustment on the door.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I was able to get it off and might have found a replacement. Will know in a few hours.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:39 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
wrong motor

Apparently the PETG45 motor is no longer being made and there doesn't seem to be a suitable replacement at Advance Auto or Napa. After calling Lipert they gave me the new part number for this motor as 379608. Of course it's more expensive than most at $149 on Amazon.

This should take care of the problem.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
I had the in\out issue with the steps and got a new motor, but wasn't the fix. Turns out the contact points where the steps pivot were so full of gunk and needing and lub. I took a small brush and used lots of synthetic oil to clean and brush each point down and now they work fine.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #6

...could be the motor, or a broke tooth in gear box, or the control box, or the door switch, or the wiring connections at the motor/gear assembly, or the mechanical pivot points [motor/gear box work on sensing amp draw]....you can test door switch, and inspect/clean gearbox....but compatibility can be an issue if replacing one part at a time...I opted to buy a complete motor/gear/control/switch kit on Amazon[not that much more expensive than motor alone], so everything matched--no more issues....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I had simular problem a couple of years ago. Try resetting the Vansco. If that does not work, then you can find the motor on Amazon.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ope this works. $77.60
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
I had simular problem a couple of years ago. Try resetting the Vansco. If that does not work, then you can find the motor on Amazon.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ope this works. $77.60
Hey jim, Lipert said that model would not work on mine. Looks the same.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #9

I have had trouble in the past with the push button in the door jam.
A few months back I had some paint work done, the shop noticed the step acting up. It would intermittently work. They told me they replace a circuit board? I didn’t see the part they replaced but the step now works like it should.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #10

I had the exact same issues. Drove me crazy. Rotated large gear in gear box to grab fresh teeth, no positive result. I did a lot of research on line and found a post from someone that talked about 2 small nylon nipples underneath the large gear in the gear box. I ordered the nipples on Amazon for about $7.00 and the step has been working flawlessly ever since. Here is the search description.

Dorman 74410 Window Regulator...
ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Ernieo, my 07 Apex and all others looks to have the same step. They may have changed designs along the way. Do you have the numbers from the old motor? When mine went out, I took the numbers off the old motor and it matched up to the motor I posted. It has worked fine from the beginning and still does. Look at the questions and answers for this product at Amazon and see some of the numbers this item has replaced. I think that part is returntable at Amazon, if it doesn't work.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 12-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
Ernieo, my 07 Apex and all others looks to have the same step. They may have changed designs along the way. Do you have the numbers from the old motor? When mine went out, I took the numbers off the old motor and it matched up to the motor I posted. It has worked fine from the beginning and still does. Look at the questions and answers for this product at Amazon and see some of the numbers this item has replaced. I think that part is returntable at Amazon, if it doesn't work.
Hey Jim, yes the PETG45. Any idea of where I can get a new RV SureStep? I called the manufacturer and they said they sold it to Camco. Camco says they dont sell it anymore. I need more light under the step, its too dark. I am thinking that I can tap the orange light under the step and hook up a strip of LEDs.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernieo View Post
Hey Jim, yes the PETG45. Any idea of where I can get a new RV SureStep? I called the manufacturer and they said they sold it to Camco. Cameo says they dont sell it anymore. I need more light under the step, its too dark. I am thinking that I can tap the orange light under the step and hook up a strip of LEDs.
I put a row of adhesive Led lights along the bottom of the coach the length of the step and switched it from inside. It uses little current and can be left on when we are out at night and come home after dark.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...-strip-lights/

Jim
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 12-21-2020, 10:26 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernieo View Post
Hey Jim, yes the PETG45. Any idea of where I can get a new RV SureStep? I called the manufacturer and they said they sold it to Camco. Camco says they dont sell it anymore. I need more light under the step, its too dark. I am thinking that I can tap the orange light under the step and hook up a strip of LEDs.
Try https://www.aubreysrv.com/ for the Sure Step

Jim
40FT FDFS #75725

Tags
steps