RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernieo View Post
Where would I find said power share setting?
On the remote panel for the inverter. Ours is located in the cabinet in front of the passenger seat. Some are in a cabinet over the dining table. Selections are 5, 15, maybe 20, 30 and 50. It also shows battery condition, charging voltage and charging current.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 11:06 PM   #16

Ernie,
Your charging parameters are on your Silverleaf screen. I will look at mine in the morning and post exactly where it is and how to change the parameters. Itís really easy, I just donít remember the exact descriptions on the screen.
Steve and Linda's APEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Linda's APEX View Post
Ernie,
Your charging parameters are on your Silverleaf screen. I will look at mine in the morning and post exactly where it is and how to change the parameters. Itís really easy, I just donít remember the exact descriptions on the screen.

Ernie,
Insert your key in the ignition switch and turn to run-you donít need to start the engine. On your dash mounted Silverleaf screen find the button that says ďProgĒ. Push that button 3 times. Your screen should say AC breaker size. Push the Silverleaf knob and that should highlife the amperage setting. The range is 5A to 50A. If you are going to use 20A shore power, set it at 20A.
Reset your amperage when connected to 30 or 50A. I also turn off the circuit breakers for my refrigerator, convection oven, and the general Purpose breaker for the TV and audio equipment.
Donít forget to turn the ignition off and remove your key. Hope this helps!
Old 08-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Ernie,
Insert your key in the ignition switch and turn to run-you donít need to start the engine. On your dash mounted Silverleaf screen find the button that says ďProgĒ. Push that button 3 times. Your screen should say AC breaker size. Push the Silverleaf knob and that should highlife the amperage setting. The range is 5A to 50A. If you are going to use 20A shore power, set it at 20A.
Reset your amperage when connected to 30 or 50A. I also turn off the circuit breakers for my refrigerator, convection oven, and the general Purpose breaker for the TV and audio equipment.
Donít forget to turn the ignition off and remove your key. Hope this helps!
As always, thanks Steve. Where did you get this information from. Their manuals are limited at best.
Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #19

Quote:
As always, thanks Steve. Where did you get this information from. Their manuals are limited at best.

The original owners were very helpful.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #20

Quote:
The original owners were very helpful.

Ernie,
What Inverter do you have?
There is a Silverleaf spot for inverter specs. If your Xantrex has been replaced, you might want to check.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Ernie,
There is a Silverleaf spot for inverter specs. If your Xantrex has been replaced, you might want to check.
Still have the Xantrex. Not sure what the Arm/disarm Thermostat label does. Its the last line in the genstart page. Any ideas.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #22

Quote:
I am storing my coach for a few months and found a place that is covered with 20amp service. The issue is that when I plug my unit into the 20amp service, the GFI breaker trips. I don't have anything on other than the inverter and when I check the amps being used though the monitor its says 1.5 amps. Wonder if the inverter draws to much power for the 20 amp breaker?

Any thoughts on the best way to store the beast? Do I keep the fridge on via the inverter, etc.
There are lots of myths about GFI breakers.
GFI facts:
1) GFI breakers do not trip due to current overload. They trip when current through the hot wire does not equal current in the neutral wire. This assumes some wiring has malfunctioned and current is flowing outside the normal circuit and is causing a dangerous condition. It could be flowing through you or your child.
2) GFI breakers do play well together. If you have two in a circuit and one trips, you have a faulty circuit. Just because you can't find it does not mean it is not there.
3) Turning appliances "off" or switching "off" circuit breakers will rarely isolate the faulty wiring. Turning off a breaker to a GFI breaker will stop the GFI from tripping because they will only trip when power is on.
The fault is often between the neutral wire and the ground wire. Neither one is usually switched. Other techniques are required.

The OP said plugging in trips a GFI beaker. I assume the GFI that trips is in the outlet he just plugged into. If so, that means there is a ground fault in the travel trailer or RV. The current in the hot wire through the GFI is not the same as the current in the neutral wire.

Another post with this problem turned out to be a melted heating element in his hot water tank.

Sometimes people think the neutral in the RV should be connected to the electrical ground like service entrances in homes. This is wrong. Connecting neutral and ground in a sub panel like an RV will cause a shore power GFI to trip.

Start troubleshooting by unplugging the RV. Use the ohm meter function on your multi-meter. Measure the resistance between the neutral pin on the plug to the ground pin on the plug. The ohm reading should be “infinite” (very high).
If it reads zero, there is a direct short between the neutral and ground. Find it. Fix it.
If it reads a few ohms, it may be a motor or heating element fault.
If it reads 1000 ohms or more it may be an electronic device, a corrosion, or abrasion fault.
The fault can be anywhere in the system. It can be in a circuit that is turned “off”. The only way to track it down is to disconnect the cable from other circuits and measure neutral to ground. Frequently this is easiest to do at the RV 120 volt breaker panel.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Ernie,
Steve, I checked the settings like you said and the service was set to 30amp. But I have been plugged into 50amps many times and didn't notice nothing working. Both a/c's come and everything else seemed to work fine.

So tell me how dropping down the service to 20amps works to not trip the 20amp breaker.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #24

Ernie,
I donít think the Silverleaf circuit size parameters have anything to do with your GFI tripping. My intent was to help you set up your charging characteristics. In my coach, my house batteries were dying. When the inverter sensed the voltage drop, it would shut down. The voltage drop was sensed by the GFI and it would trip. Note that this only happened when running on battery power. I never had a problem while on shore power. Maybe somebody can give you some insight on confirming the reset spring function in your GFI. Or, just replace it. I was told that they have a limited life.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Ernie,
I donít think the Silverleaf circuit size parameters have anything to do with your GFI tripping. My intent was to help you set up your charging characteristics. In my coach, my house batteries were dying. When the inverter sensed the voltage drop, it would shut down. The voltage drop was sensed by the GFI and it would trip. Note that this only happened when running on battery power. I never had a problem while on shore power. Maybe somebody can give you some insight on confirming the reset spring function in your GFI. Or, just replace it. I was told that they have a limited life.
So the question is why does the Source gfi trip on 20 amps of shore power, but not when i hook up to shore power with 30 or 50 amps?
Old 08-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Steve, I checked the settings like you said and the service was set to 30amp. But I have been plugged into 50amps many times and didn't notice nothing working. Both a/c's come and everything else seemed to work fine.

So tell me how dropping down the service to 20amps works to not trip the 20amp breaker.
Ernie,

In theory, the power share setting will prevent the coach from drawing more current than the outlet/breaker it is plugged in to can supply. It is my understanding that a GFI breaker will trip under either of 2 separate conditions:
1) A ground fault (~5mA)
2) A load greater that the rating of the breaker (+20A)
The purpose of reducing the power share setting is to eliminate the second condition.

My apologies for the misdirection on where to select the power share setting. I have the primitive push button panel, not the fancy pants Silverleaf system.

I would confirm that the outlet and breaker that you are using are wired and operating correctly before I started buzzing every circuit in the coach trying to locate a ground fault.

Can you clarify whether you are tripping a GFI breaker in a main or sub-panel or a reset button on an outlet with built in GFI protection?
Old 08-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Ernie,

In theory, the power share setting will prevent the coach from drawing more current than the outlet/breaker it is plugged in to can supply. It is my understanding that a GFI breaker will trip under either of 2 separate conditions:
1) A ground fault (~5mA)
The purpose of reducing the power share setting is to eliminate the second condition.

My apologies for the misdirection on where to select the power share setting. I have the primitive push button panel, not the fancy pants Silverleaf system.

I would confirm that the outlet and breaker that you are using are wired and operating correctly before I started buzzing every circuit in the coach trying to locate a ground fault.

Can you clarify whether you are tripping a GFI breaker in a main or sub-panel or a reset button on an outlet with built in GFI protection?

Excellent response!
Old 08-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Ernie,

1) A ground fault (~5mA)

I am tripping the shore power gfi breaker with a reset button, nothing in the bus. I have the bus connected to my 50 amp shore power at home and no issues.

However, at the storage site where I keep the bus, I have the bus connected via my 50' ft heavy duty cord which is plugged into a 15' heavy duty extension which is plugged into a surge protector which is plugged into a 50 to 20 amp reducer which is plugged into the shore 20amp gfi. Within about 30 sec the gfi pops. I don't put on the ac but leave the inverter on.

If I leave everything connected but do not hook up the bus, the gfi stays on.

So my conclusion is that something is drawing power in the bus to trip the breaker. Am I right? If so, how do I find that culprit? And if I right, when hooked up to 30amp our 50amp shore power, the culprit is not strong enough to trip the outside breaker. And just to fill in with more information, when I am plugged into 30amp service, I can run 1 ac, microwave, tv etc. Everything stays on, but I don't use the 2nd ac or washer/dryer.