RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #29

Again, drawing too much current will not trip a shore power GFI. It may trip a shore power circuit breaker, just not a GFI. GFI stands for Ground Fault Interrupter.

The typical reason RV's trip GFI when using 20 amp outlets is because the RV has a Ground Fault. The typical reason the same RV does not trip a 50 amp 240 volt service is because the 50 amp outlet does not have GFI protection.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #30

Ernie,

We’re still mixing terms. I’m unclear on where the GFI protection is located in the circuit that you are using. I’ve attached a photo of a GFI breaker. This type of breaker protects all outlets on that particular circuit. Is it this type of device that keeps tripping?

The other option is an outlet with built in GFI protection. This is typically a somewhat standard looking duplex outlet with “Test” and “Reset” buttons between the 2 outlets. Is this the type of device that keeps tripping?

You have mentioned that the device trips after ~30 seconds. A GFI will trip in less than one second when a ground fault is detected. You have also mentioned that you are using a surge guard. It is possible that the surge guard in going through its motions after you plug in, possibly taking 30 seconds. Once the electricity is deemed appropriate, the surge guard allows the electricity to pass through to the coach, where a ground fault is detected somewhere after the surge guard and the GFI device trips. Have you noticed this happening?

We can’t get down to brass tacks until we know what type of device is protecting the outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28576095-CB0A-4061-B306-7881F6B335D2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	298925  
Old 08-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Ernie, where is the GFCI circuit breaker that trips, on the pedestal that you are plugging in to? The wiring problem may very well be in the pedestal. Try plugging into another plug. I also don’t like that you are using your 50 amp cable, an extension cable then a 50 to 20 amp converter and a surge protector. Without the protector do you have problems? Who makes your protector, on my Progress Industries it tells me if there is a problem with the wiring.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #32

I had a similar problem with previous MH and found NO issues if I used 2 batty maintainers while in storage. I've adopted that practice on newer MH as well.
I think (but not positive) that outlets with built in GFCI have a much lower trip limit that a GFCI car unit breaker in the panel.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW, I used to plug my coach in to get ready for a trip and get the fridge cold. I used the 50amp with a 30amp adapter and a 20amp adapter. It always trips the GFCI outlet in the garage so I had to plug it into an inside outlet. It always held on an inside outlet with no problem. All those adapters cause a problem for GFCI outlets.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I had a similar problem with previous MH and found NO issues if I used 2 batty maintainers while in storage. I've adopted that practice on newer MH as well.
I think (but not positive) that outlets with built in GFCI have a much lower trip limit that a GFCI car unit breaker in the panel.
Both types of devices are designed to trip at ~5mA.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
FWIW, I used to plug my coach in to get ready for a trip and get the fridge cold. I used the 50amp with a 30amp adapter and a 20amp adapter. It always trips the GFCI outlet in the garage so I had to plug it into an inside outlet. It always held on an inside outlet with no problem. All those adapters cause a problem for GFCI outlets.
The GFI outlet tripped because it detected a ground fault, either in one of the adapters, cords or the coach. The standard outlet, protected by a standard breaker is not capable of detecting a ground fault and will not trip if such a condition exists. You have a ground fault somewhere in your system.

We also had the coach plugged in to an outlet in the garage which was protected by a GFI breaker in the main panel at the other end of the house, some 75’ from the outlet. I then ran a 125’ 12/3 extension cord and all the 15/30/50 adapters to the coach. This worked flawlessly for the several months that it was necessary. We even had friends visit in their coach who parked next to ours and we plugged them in to the extension cord for the few days they were here.

In my experience, a GFI protected outlet will power an RV as long as a ground fault condition does not exist.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Both types of devices are designed to trip at ~5mA.
The reason I said that is I'm somewhat familiar with boats having trip issues in New marinas and I understood the new code is 30mA for marina power pedestals and i though the 15/20A GFCI receptacles were 5mA?
Old 08-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #37

Quote:
The reason I said that is I'm somewhat familiar with boats having trip issues in New marinas and I understood the new code is 30mA for marina power pedestals and i though the 15/20A GFCI receptacles were 5mA?
If you look through this link you will see what I am referring to. They list <30mA trip limit for docking facility recepticles and <100mA for main /branch circuit breakers.
https://www.marinadockage.com/techni...s-marina-code/
Old 08-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Unless a landlubber runs their power cord down to the dock, they’ll be plugging into GFI’s designed to trip a 5mA.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Fantastic discussion and I want to get to RVPioneer's question;

''The other option is an outlet with built in GFI protection. This is typically a somewhat standard looking duplex outlet with “Test” and “Reset” buttons between the 2 outlets. Is this the type of device that keeps tripping?"

The outlet is the standard duplex outlet with "Test" and "Reset" buttons that I am plugging into. As for the time it takes to trip, I say within 10 sec or so.

I started off without the surge protector (PI), just the 50 amp reduced to a 20amp extension and into the outlet and it tripped as soon as the ac kicked on.

I then put the surge protector between the reducer and 50 amp cord. The surge protector showed proper service so I plugged the cord in and it tripped again when the ac went on.

So I figured the ac is drawing to much so I turned off the ac and opened the windows. Plug it back in and trip.

I took the MH home for a few day but the left the 20/50amp reducer plugged into the surge protector, came back and the service was still working.

Lastly, I decided to do go into the silver leaf and reduce the amps to 20 as suggested. I also, turned off at the breaker the a/c, some general breakers, wash/dryer, but left the inverter to run the fridge on. Plugged it in and no trip.

So I guess now I should turn on each breaker 1 x 1 to see which breaker trips the outlet?

Thoughts?
Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #40

Ernie,

Thanks for the clarification.

It is interesting that power remained on until the A/C came on. That would tend to indicate the possibility of an over current condition, rather than a ground fault condition. Unless, the A/C coming on is creating a ground fault.

What you’ve done, changing the Silverleaf setting to 20A and turning off some breakers has, for the moment, solved the problem. Turning the breakers back on, 1 at a time, and monitoring the results is the next easy step. I’d save the A/C breaker for last, and be prepared to not be able to operate the A/C while in storage on the GFI outlet.

Another possibility is, the GFI outlet has gone bad. Recently on an EV forum, a member had problems with a GFI outlet that kept tripping when using a Level 1, 120V EVSE that draws 12A. The outlet was replaced, problem solved.

Looking forward to the results.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
I don’t get it. Went to see how the bus holding out today. Batteries were almost dead and to start it 4 times before it stayed running. The inverter said low batt and the fridge had turned off. Yet the 20 amp circuit was still on.

Why wasn’t the batteries charged with the shore power ?

According to the silver lead, the Auto charger says off and charger says standby.

So I left the inverter on because that is what I thought charged the batteries. Turned off the fridge circuit.

Right before I was locking up the generator auto started. What in the world??? Is that suppose to happen and I wonder how many times that happened withiut me being here. Seems dangerous in a closed in space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF45810F-26D4-4B3E-B868-75A8F898D51B.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	299206   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD0B5773-FC3D-4918-9B92-D329B7F7D4EC.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	299207  

Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernieo View Post
I don’t get it. Went to see how the bus holding out today. Batteries were almost dead and to start it 4 times before it stayed running. The inverter said low batt and the fridge had turned off. Yet the 20 amp circuit was still on.

Why wasn’t the batteries charged with the shore power ?

According to the silver lead, the Auto charger says off and charger says standby.

So I left the inverter on because that is what I thought charged the batteries. Turned off the fridge circuit.

Right before I was locking up the generator auto started. What in the world??? Is that suppose to happen and I wonder how many times that happened withiut me being here. Seems dangerous in a closed in space.

Ernie,
Have you load tested your batteries?
Steve and Linda's APEX is online now   Reply With Quote