Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #71

Ground fault

What happens if you use a 3 prong extension cord plugged in to a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter, skipping the ground?

I had a similar problem in a 2001 Diplomat. Turns out the fridge icemaker was the problem. Try unplugging the ice maker.
Daveyjo439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyjo439 View Post
What happens if you use a 3 prong extension cord plugged in to a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter, skipping the ground?

I had a similar problem in a 2001 Diplomat. Turns out the fridge icemaker was the problem. Try unplugging the ice maker.
Well, you open up yourself and anyone else who enters your coach the possibility of death by electrocution.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyjo439 View Post

If you're asking about the GFCI, it does not use a ground connection to do it's magic.

GFCI's sense for *equal current* on the Line and Neutral conductors of the circuit. A difference of 5ma or greater will trip the GFCI. No ground connection required.

The term "ground fault" is a bit deceptive, but it refers to current finding an alternate path to ground, outside of the circuit. This is what GFCIs look for.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
If you're asking about the GFCI, it does not use a ground connection to do it's magic.

GFCI's sense for *equal current* on the Line and Neutral conductors of the circuit. A difference of 5ma or greater will trip the GFCI. No ground connection required.

The term "ground fault" is a bit deceptive, but it refers to current finding an alternate path to ground, outside of the circuit. This is what GFCIs look for.
GFCIs not needing ground connections to work is correct, BUT some folks do cut the ground pin off, to force the leaking current to return thru the neutral.

If the ground was there, that's where the leaking current would go. With it cut off, and the RV on tires, there is no path to ground, so no GFCI trip.

It will still save your life though, when your body become the ground.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
GFCIs not needing ground connections to work is correct, BUT some folks do cut the ground pin off, to force the leaking current to return thru the neutral.

If the ground was there, that's where the leaking current would go. With it cut off, and the RV on tires, there is no path to ground, so no GFCI trip.

It will still save your life though, when your body become the ground.
What if the jacks are down?
Old 09-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #76

Alpine Owners Club
There is a lot of speculation going on, it would be nice to get an update from Ernie, the OP.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
I have a similar problem with my 2012 Monaco Diplomat. I had it plugged into a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter, then a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter, then an extension cord to a GFCI outlet in my garage. Worked fine for the longest time, then it started tripping the GFCI outlet. I couldn’t find a problem, so I plugged it into a non GFCI outlet and everything has been fine since then. Never had a problem at a campground, though.

We’re having some work done at the house this week, so I moved the coach to my neighbor’s driveway. Hooked it up to their attached garage with GFCI outlet and it tripped. I then connected it to their newer, detached garage GFCI outlet and it’s working fine.

I am at a loss trying to figure this out. I did notice a little oxidation on the male end of my 50 amp cord from the coach. I will clean that and see if the problem continues. I normally keep the coach plugged in just to keep the inverter and batteries charged.
Dandick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:28 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
What if the jacks are down?
The jacks are insulated between the piston and cylinder, thru the seals. There is no metal to metal contact in the moving parts, that would score the piston.

BUT if you have the type with springs, then they create a path to ground, so it depends on the ground they sit on, wheather enough current will flow thru the earth to the power source ground. [emoji4]
Old 09-04-2020, 06:42 AM   #79

GFICB

Quote:
Big difference. GFCI outlets trip from current leakage to ground, the type that kill you, so they are very sensitive.
If the GFI is at the power panel, and you are connecting the RV with an extension cord, GFI can trip if the cord is over 125' oneway
nbneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #80

GFCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandick View Post
I have a similar problem with my 2012 Monaco Diplomat. I had it plugged into a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter, then a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter, then an extension cord to a GFCI outlet in my garage. Worked fine for the longest time, then it started tripping the GFCI outlet. I couldn’t find a problem, so I plugged it into a non GFCI outlet and everything has been fine since then. Never had a problem at a campground, though.

We’re having some work done at the house this week, so I moved the coach to my neighbor’s driveway. Hooked it up to their attached garage with GFCI outlet and it tripped. I then connected it to their newer, detached garage GFCI outlet and it’s working fine.

I am at a loss trying to figure this out. I did notice a little oxidation on the male end of my 50 amp cord from the coach. I will clean that and see if the problem continues. I normally keep the coach plugged in just to keep the inverter and batteries charged.
A lot of duplex receptacles have been back wired at the installation of electrical system as opposed to using the screw terminals. A little corrosion with the spring connection using the back wiring method can lay havoc with GFCI.
nbneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #81

Quote:
The jacks are insulated between the piston and cylinder, thru the seals. There is no metal to metal contact in the moving parts, that would score the piston.

BUT if you have the type with springs, then they create a path to ground, so it depends on the ground they sit on, wheather enough current will flow thru the earth to the power source ground. [emoji4]
I have hydraulic jacks with spring return. Some RV’s have electric jacks or hand crank jacks. Not all RV’s are insulated from ground by their tires when parked and plugged in, so, performing a ground lift may not necessarily prevent a GFI from tripping.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbneuman View Post
A lot of duplex receptacles have been back wired at the installation of electrical system as opposed to using the screw terminals. A little corrosion with the spring connection using the back wiring method can lay havoc with GFCI.
I don't see a lose connection causing a GFCI to trip. There has to be a alternate route for the current to flow.

A bad connection causes resistance and heat but it's no different then plugging a heater in.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
I have hydraulic jacks with spring return. Some RV’s have electric jacks or hand crank jacks. Not all RV’s are insulated from ground by their tires when parked and plugged in, so, performing a ground lift may not necessarily prevent a GFI from tripping.
In that case, you will need to find the ground fault. It shouldn't be there.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #84

Quote:
In that case, you will need to find the ground fault. It shouldn't be there.
I don’t have a ground fault issue with my coach.