RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #85

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for all the great advice and ideas. I had the pleasure of speaking with Steve and Mike the engineer and all seems to be working as designed now.

The bus is back in storage for the past 2 days and no trips.

The bus is being powered by the 20amp shore service and using less than 3 amps to keep some system alive. I have left the inverter on and it shows “Pass thru” and “Float” as designed when the batteries are fully charged.

Like Steve mentioned earlier, the batteries were completely discharged because the inverter had to keep all the systems alive. Once the batteries went into low charge the inverter could no longer charge them because the OEM, Xantrex S2000 does have a low charge state and shuts off.

What is not clear is why the inverter was not charging the batteries while it was on shore power. It might be possible that the shore power was disrupted, but the shore power gfi was not tripped.

Nonetheless, everything is working and I will update again in a few days.
Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #86

If batteries are very deeply discharged, a smart charger (like in your inverter/charger) is programmed to NOT charge them, as they may be damaged/bad cell, etc.

And, leaving the inverter switch on will ONLY do the following: If shore power goes out, it will use battery power to power any 120 VAC circuits on the inverter sub-panel. Zero effect on charging or pass through.

So, if keeping batteries healthy while in storage is more important, turn the inverter switch OFF. If keeping power to 120 VAC circuits when shore power goes out, leave it ON.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #87

At one point when your batteries were dead you said that the charger was in standby...that would explain your last question to me.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #88

Alpine Owners Club
So went back today. The shore power gfi had been trip and the bis was using the batteries to keep the exhaust fans on. It must have just happened because the batteries were still at 13.7 and the inverter said “float”.

So I turned the inverter off so if the power goes the bus goes dead and there will be little to no charge on the batteries.

Is there an alert that I can but that tells me when the shore power gets tripped?
Old 09-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #89

Ernie,

Better to determine WHAT is tripping the GFI, though someone may know of a remote sensor that can notify you.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #90

Ernie,
Are you running both fans? If so, run only one and see if the inverter drops out. You could be overloading the 20A circuit.
Steve and Linda's APEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #91

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Linda's APEX View Post
Ernie,
Are you running both fans? If so, run only one and see if the inverter drops out. You could be overloading the 20A circuit.
Yes, but the inverter only showed 2 amps being used.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #92

Are we talking about the 12V exhaust fans? Aren’t they on a 12V circuit?

The outlet will trip when a ground fault is present. The circuit breaker in the panel will trip when an overloaded condition is present.

At this point my next step would be to replace the outlet. Sometimes they just go haywire. It’s cheap, quick and quite often solves the problem. If that doesn’t work than it’s on to some of the troubleshooting suggestions that have been offered.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Linda's APEX View Post
Ernie,
GFCIs are not over current protection devices. They do not trip unless there is current leaking.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #94

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Are we talking about the 12V exhaust fans? Arenít they on a 12V circuit?

The outlet will trip when a ground fault is present. The circuit breaker in the panel will trip when an overloaded condition is present.

At this point my next step would be to replace the outlet. Sometimes they just go haywire. Itís cheap, quick and quite often solves the problem. If that doesnít work than is on to some of the troubleshooting suggestions that have been offered.
Yes the overhead fans. Both 12v.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #95

Ernie,
Are you running the roof top A/C fans in fan only. If you are trying to run both A/C compressors for interior cooling, you will overload the circuit. I have run one (with the other turned off) from a 20A circuit. If you are running the kitchen and bath exhaust fans, they should not trip anything.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #96

As already said, tripping a GFI is completely different than tripping a 15 or 20 amp breaker. A breaker trips from drawing too many amps.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #97

Ernie,
Send me a picture of your shore power receptacle.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #98

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernieo View Post
So went back today. The shore power gfi had been trip and the bis was using the batteries to keep the exhaust fans on. It must have just happened because the batteries were still at 13.7 and the inverter said “float”.

So I turned the inverter off so if the power goes the bus goes dead and there will be little to no charge on the batteries.

Is there an alert that I can but that tells me when the shore power gets tripped?
My turn to chime in, I ran outta popcorn. You thought it may have just tripped... Could YOU be the cause of the GFI popping when you touch the MH? Test for the "hot skin condition" please.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote