Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2020, 05:51 AM   #99

As many have noted above, ground fault is different than current overload.
When I was running a high amperage tile saw (basement outlet powered by generator) the bathroom GFI, on the same circuit suddenly tripped after about an hour.
I presumed I tripped a breaker because it was a giant rental saw with a very high amp motor.
I checked the breakers and they were all fine.
I didn't have time to stop and troubleshoot, so I switched to a different basement outlet and finished the job.
Later, as I was about to start dismantling the outlet to look for the cause, I asked the forum and they immediately suggested i check the bathroom GFI. Sure enough that was what had happened.

So the moral of the story is that it doesn't take much, perhaps even just an extension cord laying in water, to pop those things.

Another story is, when I was still working, we had a brand new kitchen in the office. All brand new wiring throughout the building.
There was a counter with a GFI outlet at both ends. One of them started popping when we used the coffee machine but the other outlet was fine. So, as mentioned above, the outlet itself can be defective or become over sensitive.
So yeah, as suggested above, switching out the GFI outlet at your rv storage location would be an easy and inexpensive experiment.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2020, 05:59 AM   #100

Like all our home electrical infrastructure, the standards were set for this stuff in the 60s and the quality is not what it could be. It is generally accepted by the Electrical manufacturing industry that the US has the lowest standards for its home quality breakers, GFIs outlets and switches in the world. However our price points are also 30% lower than the EU. when I was at Brown Boveri (EU) manufacturer we struggled to break into the US market because of these factors and because US home builders saw no benefit in specing a 30 year+ capability into their products.
So I would presume that the GFI is at fault. I have had similar problems with a Sportsmobile install. Replaced my GFI with a commercial EU designed product 8 years ago and no problems since.
vlamgat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:01 AM   #101

We could get into a larger discussion about how our society is drawn towards cheaper/disposable in general, but to focus on electrical outlets, you don't even need to go to the EU.
Just take a trip to your local home depot. There are basic 15A outlets that cost $4, the same product for $2 or the same thing for only 49 cents.
As an avid remodeler in my previous life, I probably installed hundreds of those 49 cent outlets. I never had an issue, but it always seemed weird to me that such an important component was so cheap. And I always wondered if I was being foolish, or if I was missing something.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #102

GFI at Storage site tripping

If it is the GFI in the Coach that is tripping I would start by looking for a loose or bad neutral connection on the source end. A GFI will always trip if the neutral connection is missing. Buy yourself and inexpensive GFI tester. When plugged in to the outlet it will indicate what the problem is ie. bad ground bad neutral, reversed wiring etc. Once you know what your looking for your search becomes that much easier.
DBLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:51 AM   #103

Alpine Owners Club
May have found the answer, but that leads me with more questions.

First, I moved the MH to another spot. Plugged it in to shore power via the 50' cable, 15' extension, surge protector (because my MH's in-house sp was replaced/removed), 20amp/50amp reducer, gfi outlet (shore power). Came back after 2 days and POP.

So I reset the shore power GFI and in about 30 secs pop again. I disconnected the MH from the outlet, reset everything, waited about 1 min and no issues.

Then I decided to connect the MH directly into the surge protector and then into the 20/50 reducer (originally, I didn't think it would reach). Within 30 sec., pop went the gfi. Lastly, I connected the MH directly into the 20/50 amp reducer and into the service, waited about 1 min and NOTHING! No pop and the Silverleaf is reading 110 amps of service going into the bus.

So, is there a problem in the 15' extension the surge protector? And if so, why does it not trip my house 50amp service when I am connected to my house shore power? I know that line might be confusing as I am mixing a gfi outlet with a house 50amp breaker. But I am sure someone here can educated on how they are very different and why this is happening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	301119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	301120  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	301121  
Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:01 AM   #104

The surge protector is doing a test in the first 30 seconds, and during that test, it must be creating a temporary ground fault. That's what GFCI detector outlets watch for.
They are not for overload protection, like circuit breakers.

Circuit breakers protect wiring from overloading and fire.
GFCIs protect from deadly currents from going thru your body.

Your home 50 amp outlet does not have a ground fault, GFCI , monitor.

Leave the surge thing out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #105

Alpine Owners Club
We have a hard wired PD surge protector. It must be turned off if plugging in to a 15a GFI outlet, or it will trip the GFI. I believe the instruction manual even states to do this as it "can" trip some GFI's. Well, it does.
This was what prompted me to add a 30a circuit outside our garage.
Agree with Twinboat, leave your surge protector out of the system.
We have no issues when plugged in to standard 30/50a circuits.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote