Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #1

Subfloor Issues

We're starting to replace the carpet and tile in our 09 40md. The tile and carpet came up without too much work (4-5 hours). Unfortunately, we found several areas of rot. All but 1 are in non structural areas. The area of concern is under drawer cabinet abutting the shower. In that area are 2 glide blocks sitting on the floor that appear to support the slide as in comes in and out. The blocks appear to have settled due to the soft underlayment. The aft end of the slide appears to have dropped about 3/8" (looking at the paint lines).

The main question is, can this be repaired without removing the slide? The 2 blocks in question must be sitting on something more that just the subfloor. There should be some kind structural support built into the subfloor.

Over the last few months or so, we have noticed the slide seems to bind some times on the aft end when it is extended.

I understand that removing the slide is a job floor the professionals and not cheap. I'm wondering if I could get to it by removing the cabinets, however, the way the cabinets are built, this might result in having to replace the cabinets.

For those who are not aware, this coach was the last Alpine on the line when the company closed and was sold unfinished at the bankruptcy auction, then finished by the buyer over a period of 4 years. I'm assuming the damage happened during this period as a result of a small leak at the slide and water seeping under tile.

We are located on the Washington coast with no shops in the area. we are about equal distance from the Seattle area and the Coburg OR. area. Does anyone have some suggestions on a shop to take it to?

Bill and Sonia 09 40MDTS
PitMan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #2

From your description, it seems possible to repair the slide issue without removing the slide, but without pictures, it's just guessing. It sounds like if the slide is fully extended, the blocks can be accessed, though some cabinetry might need to be removed. If that's the case, removing/replacing the blocks, or shimming the blocks, may be a possibility. If the soft sections of the subfloor cannot be removed, they could be strengthened by marine epoxy, assuming the area is completely dry and has been for a long time.

Regardless, this sounds like a major project that a professional restorer might consider. I cannot recommend any in your area, but I'm sure someone will respond that can.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

Two possibilities to do the work or recommend a shop that can, would be:
Amazing Creations in Junction City, OR. 541-998-1126. Scott would certainly be able to make new cabinets if necessary.

The other is Specialty Marine and RV in Aurora, OR. 503-678-6501.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #4

Update

I talked with C-Oneil this afternoon and he had the same issue when he went to replace their flooring. He was able to raise the slide about 3/4” from the out side with a jack. Doing that I was able to see the issue. The side sits on 2 glide block - 1 - 2x6 and the other 2x10 sitting on the OSB with no underneath backing. When the area gets a little soft, they settle. Being that my issue is only at the aft end of the slide, I was planning on replacing the existing guide with new ones 3/8 taller with a much bigger base plate to distribute the weight better. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

The floor rot problem in this area can also be caused by leak in the kitchen sink waste plumbing line that drips constantly on the OSB, or from the shower controls above, or from bad rear sealing of the slide that allows rain in. If the leak is not fixed the problem will continue.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #6

Leak

Mike,
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m able to see the floor area in question through an access hole in the backsplash and there is no sign of water damage at the shower drain hose or shower valve. What I did notice is that when I retracted the slide, I got a few drips in the area most affected. So I’m guessing water is draining in from the top of the slide on to the tile and then finding a gap in the grout and then getting trapped.

We have been parked at our cabin on the Washington coast for a couple of months and have had a number of days of heavy rain and wind with no leaks. The areas in question are totally dry. This leads me to think that the damage happen in the coaches “previous life”.The water damage in front of the sink was within inches of the carpet, but the carpet showed not water staining. I’m sure that water damage happened before the carpet was installed.

For those are not aware, this coach sat semi finished for 3-4 years. It was not licensed until 12/12.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #7

Bill

You might try Joe Elwell in Vancouver. He is capable of removing the slide, if needed. Call Terry McGuire, he had slide removal done there.

phone 917-240-8390, Joe's number

Should be sunny weather at the coast now.

Ed

Tags
floor