Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #1

Suitable Route?

Has anybody taken their coach south on Highway 74 from Palm Desert? I want to go from Indio to Temecula, and that route is quite a bit shorter, but I can't tell from the map if it is too steep, windy, or tight for the coach. The other option is to take the 60 freeway to the 215.

I am not interested in an E ticket ride, so if it is not suitable, I will go the long way.

Thanks for any advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Jim:

I have never been on Highway 74 from Indio to Temecula but you can go to 60/10 in Beaumont exit Beaumont Ave and go South on 79 which changes into Sanderson Ave to Domenigoni Parkway (Changes into Newport RD in Menifee) and go east to 215 and South to Temecula, or you can take 74 east to the 215. Both will save some mileage and some time without the Roller coaster ride through the mountains.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #3

Jim,

I've driven that route many times, heading to Outdoor Resorts Aguanga. The first 10 miles are steep switchbacks, but plenty wide. After that, it is not bad at all. The last 4 miles are a fairly steep downhill, but no problem for the engine brake.

However, if you don't like mountain roads, then its not for you.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #4

I've done it once and would not do it again.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
This is the section that is twisty and steep....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route74-PalmDesert-toward-Temecula.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	2216  
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

If you've ever been in Zion Nat'l Park heading east out of there, this road looks as good if not better than that one. It might slow me down, but sure wouldn't make me change my route.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Hello Jim:

I have never been on Highway 74 from Indio to Temecula but you can go to 60/10 in Beaumont exit Beaumont Ave and go South on 79 which changes into Sanderson Ave to Domenigoni Parkway (Changes into Newport RD in Menifee) and go east to 215 and South to Temecula, or you can take 74 east to the 215. Both will save some mileage and some time without the Roller coaster ride through the mountains.
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll probably take the route suggested by Dave as a "nostalga tour". I took that route dozens of times back in the mid 70's. Of course at that time Domenigoni Parkway didn't exist, and there were no stop signs or signals on two lane highway 79 from Winchester to the 395 in Temecula! Highway 395 was a 4 lane divided highway and there was just a stop sign to try and cross it. Times have changed!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #8

Hi Jim
it is definitely a mountain road, plenty of curves but if you have driven in mountains before you shouldn't have any problems. We just went thru there on our way to Julian.
Bogie
02 Alpine 38 FDDS
Yucca Vly Ca
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #9

Hi Jim,

I have a lawyer friend who lives in PS. I visit frequently from San Diego. 74 is very interesting because it goes from the desert to alpine clime in Garner Valley. Just turn left at the Junction in Garner Valley and it's a quick ride to Temecula.

sdcyclist
2006 36FDDS
Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, the Pines to Palms Highway, I remember it well. I found out how twisty it was by accident. At the time I didn't really notice it was twisty. The turns just kept adding up.

In all actuality, it was not bad at all. Wide curves mostly. Very pretty. I'd take it again, just for the memories.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Also just took the Pines to Palms Highway (CA 74) for the first time back at Thanksgiving going to the Outdoor Resorts in Aguanga. It was not bad at all. We'll be taking the same route next trip to Aguanga.

Just watch for the "turn out" signs to be able to let faster cars by.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Jeff_S, I like your sig, RIP Alan Kulwicki and Niel Bonnett.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #13

I went ahead and took 74 up from Palm Desert and the drive was not bad at all. I have been on many tighter and steeper roads than this road. I would definitely take it again if I needed to go to the same areas again.

Now I need to try the other direction someday!

Thanks to all of those that gave their opinions.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #14

Been both ways. Unless there might be a snow storm, I would go from Palm Desert, everytime. It might be a bit slow but there are places to pull over to let faster movers get by. That is except for the last time when there was snow at the top and did not feel comfortable pulling over. With the 2 stage brakes, coming back was no problem. I was dragging an GMC Envoy behind.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote