Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #1

Tachometer

The TAC in my 2004 Alpine Coach (Cummins 400) has stopped working; always reads 600 RPMs. Currently at Clinton OK headed to Virginia and would prefer to get it fixed when I get home. Main concern is not to exceed the 2600 limit on a steep downhill. Can I limit the RPMs appropriately by monitoring my speed and gear selection?
sammcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #2

I think you are going to like it here on the forum!
It appears you have been using your hearing to monitor the rpms so far anyway, with that TAC showing 600 rpm all the time. I think there is little danger. Do you have an exhaust temp gauge? On uphill grades, that's the one I keep an eye on with my diesel trucks. On the downhill, you have a remote chance of over-revving the engine. But with everything in Rving, the old phrase "take it easy" applies. If it were my rig, I'd wait to get it home to get any work done. But good mechanics are where you find them...they can be in your home town or in Timbuktu. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Sam, my '03 has the temperature gauge included with the tachometer gauge and I assume yours is also. If your temperature gauge is still working then you should be able to adequately protect the engine. If not, then the previous post is accurate in saying "be careful" when climbing hills. I suggest avoiding the cruise control and manually select a lower gear.

Once I start up a hill I typically downshift into 5th gear to maintain speed & help keep the engine cool. As a rule, if your cruise control isn't able to maintain speed then you're overloading the engine which results in the temperature building. You should immediately turn off cruise control and shift into 4th gear if it slows below 50 MPH or so and DO NOT keep the accelerator pedal buried to the floor. I'm sure others will provide some good suggestions.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Sam!

As with any electrical glitch in the Alpine, the first thing you ought to do is to turn off both battery disconnects: one for the Chassis and one for the House. One is in the battery compartment and the other is on your right as you go up the stairs into the coach (assuming a front door model). Turn them off for one minute and then back on. That resets lots of things.

If that doesn't help, another way of getting RPM info is from the "Diagnostic Port". This is located in front of the passenger seat and behind the kick panel which is velcro'ed in place. There is another in the battery compartment but this won't help for my next suggestion: You could think about buying a ScanGauge "D". The "D" is for "diesel". It plugs into your diagnostic port and reads many parameters. You get to choose 4 for it to read all the time and you can change which 4 anytime you want. Take a look at: ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools and click on the "D" model. Amazon can get you one in 1 or 2 days. On Amazon, search scangauged.

I own one and it plugged right in. I typically monitor water temp and fuel mileage info. It has one dual ended connector, one for 6 pins and one for 9 pins. It'll plug right into your 2004 Alpine with 400 Cummins.

I found that the cord wasn't long enough and bought an extension cord and a connector. It's a regular networking cable (Cat 6 ethernet cable-also available at Amazon).

That would be a quick and dirty fix to get you the RPM info uyntil you get home, and a neat gizmo to fiddle with later on also.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote