Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #141

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet652000 View Post
Thanks for posting the diagram, but can someone tell me how you are getting 5-7 4/0 cables or even 2/0 cables on one battery post as the drawing shows??
I contend that this is impossible!?
Seriously??

If you don't want to spend the $$ on cables don't....it's your choice!!

I only suggest that you keep a very good fire extinguisher nearby
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2022, 10:48 PM   #142

Alpine Owners Club
Anybody hear from Brianna lately?
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #143

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Not for some time now.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:25 PM   #144

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Looks like Brianna's last activity on IRV2 was 2/20/2021, well over 1 year ago.

Apparently the answers provided at that time were sufficient.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #145

Battery cable sizing

I am an EE with 40 yrs experience. I'm a firm believer a size above what's needed it better, however here's the engineering;
A cable rating is to handle the specified current for long periods of time. So the reality is you'll seldom actually draw the max current. If you have a 2000W inverter putting out the max power, like running your microwave or blow dryer. Assuming your 12v battery is loaded down to 10v at max current ... that's 200 AMPs DC (not accounting for line loss and inefficiencies). So you DO want a cable rated for 200Amps.

Here's the sad reality; The weak link is the connectors! Cable to lug and lug to battery. They get loose from heating and cooling, corrosion, vibration, oxidation, etc causing high resistance. (soldered is much better than crimped) I've never had a cable burn up in the middle, its always at the connectors. (resistance times current = HEAT)

A comment was made on keeping series and parallel wire lengths the same. In series it don't make a difference, shorter is better. In series the current is the same throughout the loop. longer cables will have more line loss. In parallel, equal length has theoretical validity. In parallel the voltage is equal between the two (or more) branches. Which is why you replace batteries in sets. Otherwise the stronger battery will be charging the weaker and providing more of the required current, making it hotter and discharge faster. (the new battery does all the work, the old battery is coasting :-)

Here's a simple trouble shooting test if you have a volt meter; put the negative lead on the battery post, put the positive on the wire coming out of the connector. (don't be touching the connector) Measure the voltage drop when drawing a large load. On a car battery cable I've seen a 4v drop! Sorry I can't tell you what's acceptable or typical.

Hope this helps,
Fred.
fgiesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:11 PM   #146

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgiesen View Post
I am an EE with 40 yrs experience. I'm a firm believer a size above what's needed it better, however here's the engineering;
A cable rating is to handle the specified current for long periods of time. So the reality is you'll seldom actually draw the max current. If you have a 2000W inverter putting out the max power, like running your microwave or blow dryer. Assuming your 12v battery is loaded down to 10v at max current ... that's 200 AMPs DC (not accounting for line loss and inefficiencies). So you DO want a cable rated for 200Amps.

Here's the sad reality; The weak link is the connectors! Cable to lug and lug to battery. They get loose from heating and cooling, corrosion, vibration, oxidation, etc causing high resistance. (soldered is much better than crimped) I've never had a cable burn up in the middle, its always at the connectors. (resistance times current = HEAT)

A comment was made on keeping series and parallel wire lengths the same. In series it don't make a difference, shorter is better. In series the current is the same throughout the loop. longer cables will have more line loss. In parallel, equal length has theoretical validity. In parallel the voltage is equal between the two (or more) branches. Which is why you replace batteries in sets. Otherwise the stronger battery will be charging the weaker and providing more of the required current, making it hotter and discharge faster. (the new battery does all the work, the old battery is coasting :-)

Here's a simple trouble shooting test if you have a volt meter; put the negative lead on the battery post, put the positive on the wire coming out of the connector. (don't be touching the connector) Measure the voltage drop when drawing a large load. On a car battery cable I've seen a 4v drop! Sorry I can't tell you what's acceptable or typical.

Hope this helps,
Fred.
Fred, Not to take exception with your comments or even your formal training but it has been common thinking in the RV and marine industry to use industrial quality crimping vs soldering as soldered connections eventually break down in mobile environments

This is what I use: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...impers/2679-22

A proper crimp with a hydraulic crimper should stand the test of time in a mobile application from what I have seen...... I think this is where theory and practical application come together
Old 06-04-2022, 02:08 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Seriously??

If you don't want to spend the $$ on cables don't....it's your choice!!

I only suggest that you keep a very good fire extinguisher nearby
My interpretation of the question was that connecting 5-7 large terminals on a single battery post would present a certain set of challenges. There was no mention of using smaller gauge wire to save a buck.

Take a breath next time and maybe explain how you would handle the connections. We’re here to help people out, not chew their heads off.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet652000 View Post
Thanks for posting the diagram, but can someone tell me how you are getting 5-7 4/0 cables or even 2/0 cables on one battery post as the drawing shows??
I contend that this is impossible!?
Multiple cable can be connected to a battery post using military style connectors.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Negative-Military-Style-Battery-Terminals-8-Ga-to-4-0-Ga-1-per-pack/827083158

I'm not an Electrical Engineer, but I believe that this worked on my motor home because some of the cables are for the load, some of them are for charging, and they are not all carrying current at the same time. For instance, on my coach, on the positive post of the house batteries, there was a cable for starting the generator, a cable from the boost solenoid, a cable from the alternator, a cable to the main house fuse, a cable to the HWH system, and a cable to the solar panel.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:26 PM   #149

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcag View Post
Here is some food for thought.
The reason why we, over time, need to change out our batt cables is because the electrical connection between the cable and the wire connector (no matter what kind of crimping process we use on the lug is) is that corrosion between the wire lug and the wire sets in. It has always been my practice, after crimping the lug to the wire, is to solder the two together. It forms a gas tight 'weld' and corrosion can never occur.
Secondly, I always use locking nuts to secure the lug to the battery. There is pro and con about using a split locking washer as well; my preference is to use a star locking washer. I will use a star washer for a better and more uniform, gas tight, connection between the nut and the lug. Some will put the star washer between lug and the battery, and compress it between the two components with a locking style nut. I think it is way overkill but thought I'd mention it. The object is to create a 'gas tight' connection between the wire lug and the battery post so corrosion can't set in over time. Again, this is my opinion and practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Suffice it to say there are believers in soldering and non-believers.
I have never had to replace a crimped terminal lug.
I have retinned some where the bare copper was exposed and corroded.
I agree that a good mechanical (hydraulic crimp) with commercial grade shrink tubing is probably the best solution for a mobile vehicle (RV or Boat) as solder has a tendency to crack over time with movement.

OTOH, most corrosion is caused by off-gassing from flooded lead-acid batteries so either AGM or Lithium will also eliminate the corrosion issue
Old 06-11-2022, 06:21 PM   #150

Quote:
I agree that a good mechanical (hydraulic crimp) with commercial grade shrink tubing is probably the best solution for a mobile vehicle (RV or Boat) as solder has a tendency to crack over time with movement.

OTOH, most corrosion is caused by off-gassing from flooded lead-acid batteries so either AGM or Lithium will also eliminate the corrosion issue
Yup
So Crimps on AGM least likely to experience any issues.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #151

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Yup
So Crimps on AGM least likely to experience any issues.
True it will as well as Lithium...... Anyone looking to buy AGMs right now is wasting $$ IMO vs the current cost of Lithium but if you already have AGM then it is the way to go
Old 06-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #152

Quote:
Fred, Not to take exception with your comments or even your formal training but it has been common thinking in the RV and marine industry to use industrial quality crimping vs soldering as soldered connections eventually break down in mobile environments

This is what I use: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...impers/2679-22

A proper crimp with a hydraulic crimper should stand the test of time in a mobile application from what I have seen...... I think this is where theory and practical application come together

You are correct, however solder is a better a connection electrically long term. Absolutely don't solder small wires, the vibration and/or bending will break them right off. This is where theory and applications diverge.

Kinda points out why there's such a large amount of discussion on the topic .... nothings perfect over time!
fgiesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgiesen View Post
You are correct, however solder is a better a connection electrically long term. Absolutely don't solder small wires, the vibration and/or bending will break them right off. This is where theory and applications diverge.

Kinda points out why there's such a large amount of discussion on the topic .... nothings perfect over time!
https://www.hpacademy.com/technical-...r-vs-crimping/
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #154

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
"Properly executed crimp joint" being the key take from this article. An over crimped or improperly stripped wire makes for a bad connection also. Correct sizing, components, patience and Thomas and Betts are your best friends.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cable