Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

The snake pit

I don't have all of the manuals for my MH and I'm wondering if there is a manual for the tv, vcr dvd player etc to sort out the rats nest up front. Is the tv supported if I remove the metal framework? I'm trying to get a handle on it.

I got my Trav'ler mounted and wired, I'm having some weak signal issues, maybe I fouled something up removing from one MH to another. Possibly and alignment problem.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An RV is 4 walls (or more in some cases) Roof, ceiling, floor...The DOOR is not part of the RV nor are the outside steps.

They are "Accessories" the plumbing, Electronics (including electrical) and everything else is Accessories.

You can find the make and model of your accessories and then google

Google: Make, Model, MANUAL

(The word manual is used, but replace make and model with the actual make and model) and usually you can download a PDF to your hard drive.

Not always.. but usually.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, what is the model and year of your Alpine? The older Alpines did not use RG6 cable and that can cause distorted picture problems.

Many changes were made along the way, but the basic wiring remains the same from antenna or dish to the receiver to the TV. Any loose wires or connections can cause you to get a fuzzy picture.

I have just finished removing my 32" TV and installing a 40". Along the way I found and removed 7 cables and some wiring leading nowhere and no longer needed. I cleaned up the spaghetti factory behind the TV and now can source the wiring much eaiser.
Good luck resolving your problem.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Jim,

I have an 05 FDTS. I'm looking for the feed to the AVC from the cable box. I just installed my Trav'ler nd my directv box.

Getting ready to drop the AVc and see what's going on there. I see what you mean about wire going nowhere, I have a cable that's loose at both ends, looks like a printer cable, I 'll see if there are any others. Daaang!

Looks like there is a coax ant input in the print that I have. Hopefully that will do it for me. Maybe an HDMI port.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #5

32" to a 40", wow, did you have the sharp aquos or another brand?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, WRV used a LOT of splitters in their video set ups (you will see them deep in the cabinet over the drivers seat) some are related to getting signal to the rear TV, some are related to the cable input from the park or the off air antenna. Bottom line, when you are finished, check to see that all inputs operate, park cable, local off air antenna, (if someone has not already converted the signal from analog to digital you will need to add a converter, today no TV stations broadcast in analog), satellite, etc. There is also an added satellite input in the overhead above the dash and one in the basement, mine is near the dirt devil central vacuum system. So there are a lot of coax cables, some you might not need/want.

You might consider upgrading you TV to current technology.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

There should be 6 main coax runs going to/from the entertainment center.

Roof satellite dish in
Auxiliary satellite dish in
OTA antenna in
Park cable in
Out to bedroom TV
Out to outside TV

These are likely white with a color code on them. A 2005 should have RG-6 cable. Years ago I posted the color codes on here.

How those were connected to the various components changed each year and often within the year as well. Mine had a BOMB (box of many buttons), but no other splitters.

That said, since your coach is used, no telling what has been done to it. All of my original components have been changed out at least once. So has all of the wiring, EXCEPT for those 6 coaxed listed above. Those remain and are still used.

I used HDMI and mini-coax wherever possible.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #8

I finally have a clear picture, in color no less. But, I have no sound, gonna hit it again today.

I have the AVC out and today I will pull the DVD/VCR out, it's an RCA RTD300, I don't believe it's original, I have a manual for a RTD250. I like the surround sound feature, we watched a couple of DVDs on the way home from buying. The DVDs played correctly and all seemed well in that respect.

Depending on what I find out today I might just start from scratch and replace the tv and the dvd player and sort out all the wiring. Any suggestions for a player or dvd?

I'm not a hi tech kind of guy when it comes to tv etc. I had Vizios in the last MH and they were fine for me. I just want to sit back and watch tv without having to be involved. No video games etc!! I want it decent, but I don't need the latest greatest high end stuff.

The older I get, the simpler I like it! In fact i'll probably swap out the in dash stereo for something simpler. Too many functions and too few knobs, just a bunch of tiny buttons that each perform 10 tasks. Add bad eyes and beat up fingers and you have a trifecta!!

Jim. I did a search and couldn't find your coax color code. I will try searching again. If I find it fine, if not I'll figure something out. Thanks again.

You guys have all been very helpful and I appreciate it. It's nice to have brand specific forum. I belong to a couple of car forums and usually the guys who participate are very knowledgeable and happy to help. I hope I can return the favor.

My ACA check went out yesterday!!

Terry
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Look what I found:

From Portable satellite - Purple
From Roof satellite - Green
Over air antenna - White
Cable - Red
To outside TV - Black
To bedroom TV - Blue

Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Janet and Todd, Thanks a bunch, I think my search skills need some refinement.

For that matter, my computer skills need some refinement!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #11

I would have included it but we are traveling and searches are not as easy. Glad Janet and Todd found it.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

Well I finally got it all worked out. I have tv and dvd in the living room and bedroom. I can eat bon bons, watch Justin Bieber videos and re-runs of The dating Game.

I eliminated and recycled enough coax, switches, rf modulators and other wire to pay for the gin and tonic I needed to get me through the project.

I will use the tvs I have for now and when they go belly up I'll change to flat screens.

Thanks to all for your input and help!!

Terry