Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #15

Looking good !!
I placed mine under a panel as well however I had to put a spacer under the panel attachment as my box was just 1/4” too tall. So far I am happy I did it this way and I already changed my wiring once around making the combiner box well worth it.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #16

The conduit was originally intended to cover the cables that would be inside the closet. Because the cables are now behind the wall, the conduit has no purpose.
Sometimes my hands work faster than my brain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200603_140730.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	288123  
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #17

Ha same here mine still lays in the garage. The wires run behind the washer/dryer and there is so much going on back there that I just tied them to the existing wire loom.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #18

I installed 600 (6×100) watts of panels and it's a sunny day. I wired 3 +3 series parallel.
This is what the mt50 display says is going on.
The voltage is correct at close to 60. Each panel tested at 19.9v.
But I was expecting more amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_115253.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	288624  
Old 06-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I installed 600 (6×100) watts of panels and it's a sunny day. I wired 3 +3 series parallel.

The real test on output (amps to battery) is with the batteries discharged down to 50% or so.

Said another way, if the batteries are close to or fully charged the controller SHOULD reduce amps and 14.7 VDC is as high as you want voltage to batteries and only under bulk/absorption NOT float.

So, run the batteries down to 50% and see what you get.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Remind us again about the type of batteries you have installed??

if they are lead-acid and are not deeply discharged your solar controller is probably throttled back to at least absorb mode and maybe even float as these MPPT chargers are "Smart" and will only put out what your batteries need at a given time.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #21

As an interim step (until I can afford lithium) I put in 4 brand new flooded 6v batteries.

Maybe there is confusion with what this monitor is showing us.

The instruction manual is vague on this point. Does the display show the total PV potential that is available? Or does it show what the batteries are receiving at any given moment?

The batteries are at 100%+-
Old 06-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
As an interim step (until I can afford lithium) I put in 4 brand new flooded 6v batteries.

Maybe there is confusion with what this monitor is showing us.

The instruction manual is vague on this point. Does the display show the total PV potential that is available? Or does it show what the batteries are receiving at any given moment?

The batteries are at 100%+-
Well not sure about that one but on my Victron, it only shows what is being produced and put into the batteries at a given time. My controller only calls for what it needs not what is available unless it is charging at 100% such as when the batteries can accept a bulk charge.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #23

Drilling a hole in fiber glass for plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine06 View Post
Hi Brianna,
so my recommendations for the wiring / roof hole.

# Get a combiner box that is large enough. I have a DIN rail in mine to configure all the wires So I can add panels or change my series / parallel layout.
# The box itself has a way it fastens the lid. Take a look at that, sometimes the holes going into the body of the box extend all the way down. This means that you should not add sealant around the outer perimeter of the box as water can find a way under the box and into the roof. Only seal under the box avoiding the holes so water runs in the top and out the bottom. You will know what I mean when you hold the box in your hand.

# Use a small drill bit from the inside of the coach first and then finish with the large bit from either side to prevent blowout on the fiberglass / wood. Especially a spade bit likes to do that.

# Stud-finder is your friend to double check.

# In a superb installation you would install a short piece of PVC conduit from inside the box into the roof leaving it up 1/4 - 1/2" above the bottom of the box. In case the lid seal would ever fail water will not go right away into the hole and into the roof. I did it this way as I have seen this very type of failure on an antenna box before. Alternative you can build up a dam of sealant just around the hole perimeter.

# Use a good cable gland for the wire penetration and only one wire per gland otherwise it will not seal properly.

That is all I can think of in the moment.
Joerg
Using a step drill works great for driilling fiber glass or plastic.
Scrpes a hole rathather than grabbing in ripping through.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #24

This is one of those moments where you look back on something and think:” Why in the world did I not think of that” ? Awesome idea I used the step drill to make all the holes in the combiner box; it would have worked really well on the fiberglass.
Thank you for that suggestion!!
Old 06-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #25

Using a very long bit, i simply drilled a 3/16" pilot hole from the inside. Then drilled up (half way) from the bottom and then down the rest of the way from the roof with a cheap hole saw. Perfectly clean edges both inside and out.

Tags
solar, roof