RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #29

Posting this from the Cummins Northwest shop

I like the carpet in the cupboards, but it did make me wonder if the dishes would slide around a lot.

We already have Corelle for the plates and bowls, but I prefer to drink out of actual glass glasses. If they all break, I'll resign to plastic I suppose.

I was imagining something to wrap them with. I have seen the stuff for moving, but wondered if RVers had figured out something better/easier. I'm liking the idea of having foam holders for them all and just giving them a 'home' in the coach. Since we are leaving in the morning, and haven't even started loading the coach, I'll probably just wrap the glasses in dish towels initially, and then use some sort of foam once we get organized and settled in.

As I sit here thinking about future maintenance, I came up with another stupid question. I told you I was good at coming up with them.

For those that do their own fluid/filter changes, do you carry around the drain pan(s) with you?
I guess it only applies to full time folks. It just occurred to me that, while I will have tools to perform the tasks, do I really want to carry around drain pans for a once a year task? Basement space is limited after all. And the things are messy.

Maybe full timers don't change the oil on their ISL400
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #30

Wally World has a nice 24 quart self contained drain tote for 12 bucks. Just big enough for oil and fuel filter changes. Has nice pour spout to empty back into the 2.5 gallon oil containers...I just serviced our rig without spilling a drop on the shop floor. May be the best 12 bucks I ever spent on the coach.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #31

And, I just use a Rubbermade tub.

Line it with two layers of black trash bags.

Drain oil into it.

Fill crankcase.

Use old coffee can to decant old oil into the gallon oil jugs for recycling.

Still using the same Rubbermade tub I have used for 20 years and still clean.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:32 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two years in a row we drove from Alaska to Indiana and of course oil changes were needed when we got there. Both times I bought cheapie oil drain containers from WalMart and after doing the change I took the containers full of oil to Auto Zone where they do free oil recycling. And I let them keep the containers.
akeagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:49 AM   #33

Starting out with a MH you know very little about I would recommend you have a "Roadside Service Insurance Plan" Be sure the plan includes towing insurance. I won't go into which plan is best or worst but I'm sure others on here will voice their opinions.
Check with your current insurance provider. Many companies who insure RV's automatically include coverage for roadside assistance but be sure if you do have coverage, what you have is sufficient.
Here's hoping you never need this insurance but if you do you will be glad you have it.
Lynn
Old 11-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
1...search Amazon for glassware protectors...some nice ones...

2...think about a fumoto valve for oil changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Posting this from the Cummins Northwest shop

I like the carpet in the cupboards, but it did make me wonder if the dishes would slide around a lot.

We already have Corelle for the plates and bowls, but I prefer to drink out of actual glass glasses. If they all break, I'll resign to plastic I suppose.

I was imagining something to wrap them with. I have seen the stuff for moving, but wondered if RVers had figured out something better/easier. I'm liking the idea of having foam holders for them all and just giving them a 'home' in the coach. Since we are leaving in the morning, and haven't even started loading the coach, I'll probably just wrap the glasses in dish towels initially, and then use some sort of foam once we get organized and settled in.

As I sit here thinking about future maintenance, I came up with another stupid question. I told you I was good at coming up with them.

For those that do their own fluid/filter changes, do you carry around the drain pan(s) with you?
I guess it only applies to full time folks. It just occurred to me that, while I will have tools to perform the tasks, do I really want to carry around drain pans for a once a year task? Basement space is limited after all. And the things are messy.

Maybe full timers don't change the oil on their ISL400
Old 11-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #35

• x2 on the Fumoto oil change valve. Great to use, no chance of stripping the oil pan drain plug.
  • To assist in keeping your glasses from breaking, fill the cupboard. If only partially full, they can slide and break against each other. We've gone mostly to plastic cups/glasses though.
  • On your tires, if they are Michelin, and over 10 years old, the dealership who sold you the coach owes your new tires. Michelin states on their website that tires should not be used past 10 years from manufacture date. If dealership did any type of "safety inspection", and did not catch old tires, they are liable for replacement.
  • Start a logbook on repairs and maintenance. Keep a folder for receipts.
  • velcro your cupboard doors together so they can't open in flight.
  • Consider foam noodles, split down the side to cover corners of the slide so you don't hurt your head WHEN you run into them.
  • Get sacrificial floor mat for front of coach to help on tracking in dirt.
  • Get up on the roof if you haven't already, check for roof damage, vent caps in good condition, and condition of seals around your front clearance lights.
  • Get a good tire gauge, or better yet get a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) for coach and toad tires if towing a vehicle.
  • Consider a spare tire carrier, or at a minimum an unmounted spare tire of appropriate size to use in conjunction with ERA (Emergency Roadside Assistance).
  • Did I mention credit cards?!?
  • Consider traveling with at least 1/2 tank of fresh water. You never know when you may want to boondock for a night away from a water spigot, or you might stuck in traffic for hours behind an accident. With the coach, you don't have to be uncomfortable!
Just a few items that came to mind. Get out there and enjoy your new ride!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #36

With all the concerns about your coach and it's readiness, as should be, don't over look campground reservations. This day in age they are increasingly more difficult to get a desired date, especially in the southern states.
Just saying.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #37

I like all the checks list that were posted. I would stick to those. As far as a dealer tell you youíre good to go donít come on that!

First Rig I bought I went out of my way to give the technician $100 tip to make sure the punch list that I had written up was properly taken care of. Guess I shouldíve gave him $500 LOL cause he didnít do a F*^%#*+= thing! Money well spent now I know how they all operate.

Taking All the advice above I would also check your route on a really good Atlas and mark off all your refueling spots, I use the ďtruck mapĒ app to find fueling stations. Itís a great resource. Put in your destination, start the rout, then scroll through the list of truck facilities at the bottom and choose what you want. Also review the List of forbidden tunnels that donít allow propane.

Safe travels yíall !
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #38

I read almost all of the posts here. We too have a older coach. Many excellent suggestions, but Im very surprised none mentioned what id consider the most important. After doing all the typical checks go on a "shakedown cruise" prior to your trip. Some evening after work just head out and put 50 - 100 miles on and see how it goes. Better for an issue to arise in that scenario than when your much further from home and / or in unfamiliar territory.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:37 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I am surprised of your concern with a "Brake Flush". As you stated in the OP, you have a 2005 Alpine Coach, a diesel pusher with air suspension AND air brakes? The only maintenance on your airbrakes (normally) is a possible replacement of the Air and Desiccant Filter on your air dryer.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by romson View Post
I am surprised of your concern with a "Brake Flush". As you stated in the OP, you have a 2005 Alpine Coach, a diesel pusher with air suspension AND air brakes? The only maintenance on your airbrakes (normally) is a possible replacement of the Air and Desiccant Filter on your air dryer.
Most if not all Alpine MHs use hydraulic disk brakes.

The air is for the parking brake and suspension.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #41

A few details are missing. How far down South are you going - a few hundred miles or over a thousand miles? Are you coming back or is this a permanent move to the South?
Make sure you have plenty of room on the credit limit of your credit card. Breaking down in the middle of your trip on the roadside will be expensive. Drive under 65, don't push the RV too hard and enjoy the journey and you'll probably be fine. Good luck.
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #42

The list is long

My first thing is know your route. Map it, GPS it, satellite view it. Know you donít drive as far as a car. Rest stops, fuel stops. Which brings us to fuel card, group card (Good Sam) and as mentioned C/cards.
Pack the rig. Rain gear for setting up in rain is nice. Umbrella. Sweatshirts. Still gets cold down south.
The rig.Tires/fluids etc. registration. Step ladder, propane tank for grill (full). Hatchet for fire wood. Think of small stuff because we normally remember the big stuff.
If travel with pets, their needs, food, water, litter and box and medicine. And also vaccines paperwork.
And MOST IMPORTANT is to enjoy and have fun. Yes there will be times when it doesnít go the best. Donít bite off each otherís heads. Deep breaths and laugh.
Fireairdrop is offline   Reply With Quote