RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #43

I use can cozies to protect glassware. They make different types that you can pick up at thrift stores for just about nothing here in Florida. I use the bottle type for things that "clank" around in drawers. I also use a "pot lid holder" for dishes/paper plates/fry pan.....The Dollar Store and thrift stores are great places to find items that can be used to store things in an RV.

We also carry different types of roadside triangles and emergency flasher lights that can be placed behind the RV if you need to stop on a highway. The red sticks can easily be tossed behind the RV if it is not safe to walk back and place triangles. In addition, I keep bright fluorescent tee shirts (a size larger) that can be slipped on before exiting the RV in a roadside situation.

Also, have a good first aid kit, multiple fire extinguishers (front, middle and back of RV), a head worn flash light and a handheld flashlight.

The last two may sound silly; however, we have used them multiple times. A piece of cardboard to lie on if you need to get under the RV. A handwritten sign that says, "Slow Down, Accident Ahead". I have used the sign to let others know there was trouble ahead on curved, mountain roads.

Just remember, some trips go without incident and others feel like you have met every person that works in the auto parts stores along the way; however, we have met the best people on the trips that didn't go perfectly.

Be ready to rearrange and rearrange again until you get all your stuff the way you want it, that is, until the next trip when you need totally different things for where you're going!

Enjoy your travels!
LConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #44

so much great advice

Rather than respond to each post, here are responses to some of the topics...

We made it south to Mesa, AZ safely with all glasses intact!.
We're still adjusting to life on the road, but we've made rapid progress.
We are on the lookout for ways to improve organization in the cupboards.

I had Cummins Coach Care service both diesels, so I know fluids are good for now, and they rechecked tires. They gave me a checklist to use as a pre-trip safety inspection.

I also have a few routing apps, a couple of which have height restriction data. I have tried to have a route to my destination before I start driving. I like to pick where we will camp before leaving the current camp site. The coach is in an RV park for a month, so for now, I'm not having to practice these skills. We're planning to boondock all of January though (obviously visiting towns to dump and refill).

So far we have only refueled at regular stations, but we're going to setup a TDS account eventually. Using the Conoco/Phillips/Union76 app and card gets us $0.25 discount, so far now that's not too bad. Downside is I can only pump ~35 gallons per purchase.

I feel pretty safe in this low mile coach, but we will look into a roadside assistance plan. I do already want to add more safety equipment. Coach came with 1 fire extinguisher behind driver's seat, and I already added one more in the kitchen. I like the idea of some triangles a reflective/bright vest to wear if I have to do anything on the side of the road.

There will be lots of little things to acquire, like the jack pads/blocks I bought, or the water filter for the supply hose. We're pretty setup for camping outdoors, but I'm sure we forgot things. Luckily, I have to head back up to WA next week, so I'll have a list of things to bring back.

Today's stupid question...
I am installing a Togo Roadlink on top of the coach. I planned to use Dicor lap sealant, but it looks like Dicor's products are aimed at EPDM roofs. It says it sticks to fiberglass, but is this the stuff I want to use?

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #45

The best adhesive for fiberglass, imho, is 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant. Clean roof area with fine scotch brite and isopropyl alcohol and apply 5200. Clamp, weight or duct tape in place for 8 hours, good to go.
I have used 5200 to mount marine transducer brackets to fiberglass boats before, no screws required. Only downside is it will pull off gelcoat before it breaks bond, so eventual removal is somewhat a challenge. A little goes a long ways.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Hello all

I am brand new to RVs, let alone our beloved Alpines. At this stage of my knowledge journey, I am better able to provide questions than answers.

There are many owners here that DO have answers to all the stupid questions I, and others, will come up with.

We are 'heading south' this Saturday.
oh wait... wrong icon. I meant

Since I know my supply of dumb questions is about to increase rapidly, I thought I would make one place to put all of them.

I've seen a similar thread on other forums. Rather than everyone creating a new thread for every question, we can just ask them here. These are quick questions like, "where can I look for my furnace?" Obviously if someone needs help troubleshooting something complex, it deserves it's own thread.

So with that overly long introduction out of the way, here is my first stupid question...

As noted above, we are leaving in 5 days.
about sums it up

What is the most important thing we need to check before we depart?

The dealer didn't "service" the engine, but they went through everything and said we are good to go. We did one test trip of a couple nights and everything worked fine but the furnace. I fixed the furnace.

There are a few little things we will fix down south, but what is the thing you think is the most important thing I should do before we depart?

ya ya, not a 'simple' question, but it is certainly a stupid one
As we say or said (retd.) in the heavy construction industry. There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #47

I have some familiarity with 5200. Wonderful and nasty stuff.

Is that what you would use to recaulk your roof? While I don't think mine has been compromised, it's old and I plan to replace it in the coming months. I see lots of mention of the Dicor products, but then I started looking at their site and it seems very EPDM focused, and I know my roof is fiberglass.

The Togo Roadlink is just a Winegard dome with specific hardware inside. It comes with lag bolts to attach to the roof. Am I correct to assume there is some wood up there for them to bite into? Or are you saying I should use 5200 to attach the dome? I'm not sure I like that for the reason you already gave. 5200 doesn't like to let go, and the fiberglass is often damaged in the process. Usually that's not an issue as you're likely going into the project knowing you will have to make that repair as well, ie a boat thru hull or something.

I have another stupid question. And this one is pretty dumb, but I think it's specific to my Alpine... sort of...

Where do folks put all their kitchen stuff?

I mean like where are the dishes vs the food or the plastic containers. We left in a rush, so we just stuffed the cupboard full so nothing moved around. This is day 14 living in the coach, and I'm still trying to figure out the best use of the cabinets. We will probably need to add some sort of shelving inside the cupboards, but for now I keep moving stuff around trying to find an efficient arrangement. So far, I'm going in circles a bit.

Should I take into consideration weight on the slide side? ie put cans on the other side?

What do you put in the big drawers on the far left and under the fridge? We have cookware in the 2 stacked drawers and more under fridge along with seltzer waters. Upper left is dishes, or food?

When we move into a new home, I usually put things where I instinctively think to look for them, but it's not intuitive to keep my canned food over the sofa.

Looking for wisdom from the folks that have spent a lot of time in their Alpine.

I've attached a picture of our kitchen since I realize all Alpines are not the same. Although they are all pretty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191207_115319.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	268838  
Old 12-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #48

As a general rule, try to put heavy things lower down. Putting heavy things like canned goods in upper shelves isn't a good idea, and contributes to the sway of the rv if too much weight gets added up top. I try to put light things like chips, crackers, trailmix bars etc that are light up top. A lower cupboard or drawer works better for cans. I store my frying pans in the oven, and my bread in my microwave. That's just me. You may not have either for all I know.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #49

Also familiar with 5200. But highly recommend 4000 instead. It is removable.

If you use 5200 on anything, you will never get it apart.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Also familiar with 5200. But highly recommend 4000 instead. It is removable.

If you use 5200 on anything, you will never get it apart.
Agreed. 5200 below water line, 4000 above. I only use 5200 because I bought a case of it a couple years ago. It still comes apart, but may pull the gelcoat. I set our solar panels down with it using a penny as a temporary shim, one under each corner bracket so it can be cut apart someday...hopefully not by me though...lol.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #51

The most important thing to do. To me it would be several test hops, different locations, different roads, different types of places to stay and they are varied. Keep notes and figure out what worked for you and what was a pain.

This is of course assuming all maintenance and preventative maintenance has been accomplished. The error I see most often is very low mileage tires that look great from 10 feet away. However if they have been on the vehicle for say five years, six at the most replace them. Damage from uv exposure promotes dry rot. The hiding place is between the treads.

Just an opinion.
Bruce Deville
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #52

I have another stupid question...

To preface, I just reread all my owners manuals looking for this information (and a review of other items), but I cannot locate it.

When checking the coolant level, I want to see some in that little view glass in the surge tank, correct?

I know I should know this, but I've taken the coach on 2 long drives so far. Before the drive from WA to AZ, I had the coach serviced at Cummins and they checked everything. When we drove from AZ to FL, we had just had the radiator replaced, so obviously they filled it.

My glass is empty, so I assume I need to add fluid, right?
I'm a little troubled about why it's low. It doesn't evaporate does it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If they just changed the radiator they might not have gotten all the air purged. I'd add a bit - be sure you use the correct stuff.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #54

...here is the deal--our Alpines are equipped with an expansion tank, not an overflow tank.....so, you need to check the coolant level in the sight-glass when the engine is at ops temp....filling to glass when cold doesn't leave sufficient room for expansion so you will lose coolant from being overfull.....be careful--you should see the coolant flowing passed the glass, some owners have reported that the sight-glass had flooded--giving the appearance the tank was full.
PS--some owners have added an after-market overflow tank to their expansion tank--but that is a conversation for another time....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #55

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...here is the deal--our Alpines are equipped with an expansion tank, not an overflow tank.....so, you need to check the coolant level in the sight-glass when the engine is at ops temp....filling to glass when cold doesn't leave sufficient room for expansion so you will lose coolant from being overfull.....be careful--you should see the coolant flowing passed the glass, some owners have reported that the sight-glass had flooded--giving the appearance the tank was full.
PS--some owners have added an after-market overflow tank to their expansion tank--but that is a conversation for another time....

I took an old 1 gallon coolant jug, placed it on the rear chassis rail then ran the overflow tube into it, shade tree 101.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
refill while warm. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
I took an old 1 gallon coolant jug, placed it on the rear chassis rail then ran the overflow tube into it, shade tree 101.
I saw Engineer Mike's jug setup at DRR. When we get to CA, I will do something similar.