RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I had no idea about the wind noise covers/inserts

We are in AZ right now, but at 6980 ft at our place in Flagstaff. Move date for tenant in WA wash pushed 2 weeks, so our urgency has lessened.

We will probably leave early this week, but will not make big mile days as I'll be working and driving (not at the same time) and I prefer to drive in daylight. Planning 3ish hour hops each day, but I might push through the lower elevation sections to get back to cooler temps. This heat wave has given me new things to think about when driving our house around.

We crossed the desert between Mammoth Lakes and Flagstaff (actually we camped about an hour west between Ash Fork and Williams) in one long night last week. If we stopped, it would have meant I had to sit and work in that heat.

Once we get to WA, we already have rough plans that won't have us leaving until October anyway. Likely the end of October.

Curtis (not sure if he is on this forum, but has almost twin coach) recently texted me they travel like a tumbleweed. I like that. This tumbleweed's wind pushing it north died down a bit, but it's still blowing that direction and we will get rolling again soon.

I do have another stupid question though...
And it's stupid because I know I saw it discussed, but can't find it now.
How unlevel can I be to run the original fridge?
and related, how unlevel to open a slide?

When we were in Santa Rosa, we had to park in a pretty unlevel area. My FIL had some bricks I used in conjunction with some of those garbage plastic lego things. We were not level. Felt like a fun house the whole 3 days we were there.

Right now, it's parked on the street in front of the house. No slides out, but the fridge is still on. Easy enough to bring things inside until we leave. We did that last time to defrost, but I wanted to keep it cold this time.

What do you guys do when the place you need to park on is very unlevel?
I've destroyed most of my Lynx Levelers, so I don't think I want to buy more of those.
I got rid of the LEGO leveling blocks they were crappy, so I bought theses ;

Camco Yellow Drive On Tri-Leveler, Raises Your RV Up by 3-7/8" Works on Any Tire , Has B... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUQOFO...s_api_i_9EqqFb...

And now Iím happy!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #72

Level

Quote:
I had no idea about the wind noise covers/inserts

We are in AZ right now, but at 6980 ft at our place in Flagstaff. Move date for tenant in WA wash pushed 2 weeks, so our urgency has lessened.

We will probably leave early this week, but will not make big mile days as I'll be working and driving (not at the same time) and I prefer to drive in daylight. Planning 3ish hour hops each day, but I might push through the lower elevation sections to get back to cooler temps. This heat wave has given me new things to think about when driving our house around.

We crossed the desert between Mammoth Lakes and Flagstaff (actually we camped about an hour west between Ash Fork and Williams) in one long night last week. If we stopped, it would have meant I had to sit and work in that heat.

Once we get to WA, we already have rough plans that won't have us leaving until October anyway. Likely the end of October.

Curtis (not sure if he is on this forum, but has almost twin coach) recently texted me they travel like a tumbleweed. I like that. This tumbleweed's wind pushing it north died down a bit, but it's still blowing that direction and we will get rolling again soon.

I do have another stupid question though...
And it's stupid because I know I saw it discussed, but can't find it now.
How unlevel can I be to run the original fridge?
and related, how unlevel to open a slide?

When we were in Santa Rosa, we had to park in a pretty unlevel area. My FIL had some bricks I used in conjunction with some of those garbage plastic lego things. We were not level. Felt like a fun house the whole 3 days we were there.

Right now, it's parked on the street in front of the house. No slides out, but the fridge is still on. Easy enough to bring things inside until we leave. We did that last time to defrost, but I wanted to keep it cold this time.

What do you guys do when the place you need to park on is very unlevel?
I've destroyed most of my Lynx Levelers, so I don't think I want to buy more of those.
3 degrees left and right, 6 degrees front to back for frig.
Level for slide out - don't know exact, but no more than 2 - 3 degrees.
Leveling blocks - made mine from 2 X 12s, pressure treated. The ones I have are 30+ years old.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #73

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

Walsh Road??...........we were just in that neck of the woods last week at a Boondockers Welcome location in Bellemont.....and they even had a 50A hookup and we used it .......pretty bad when even Flagstaff is hot

Curtis did a nice battery upgrade this summer installing his batteries under the foot of the bed as well.....they do know how to travel! PS....they have a 34'er

One of the best additions we made were the permanently attached jackpads......and while they only provide an additional 1" of height they also increase the size of the footprint by almost 80%.....highly recommended.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:21 AM   #74

New stupid question

Hi gang. New to me 2001 36FDDS, what does this switch control ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4FCF91DA-C70E-48FC-916B-FADE146E8A50.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	298262  
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #75

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
Hi gang. New to me 2001 36FDDS, what does this switch control ?
In my coach that switch controls the large fluorescent light fixture over the range/kitchen counter. Mine worked on the inverter when we were not plugged in, although it was difficult to reach the switch if the slide is in.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:39 AM   #76

Air suspension

Super dumb question- Iíve dumped the air to level up with the hydraulic jacks,.... what airs the suspension back up? Does it just happen when the engine starts back up? Or is there something that I need to do?
HwH controller
Old 08-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #77

Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
Super dumb question- Iíve dumped the air to level up with the hydraulic jacks,.... what airs the suspension back up? Does it just happen when the engine starts back up? Or is there something that I need to do?
HwH controller
when you dump air it stays deflated until you crank main engine back up. Compressed air comes from same compressor that supplies the air brakes.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #78

OOOPS--no air brakes on most Alpines but yes, the engine compressor raises the bags after start-up....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #79

The engine compressor only refills the previously drained air tanks.

The ride height valves will be sensing a low chassis height and send air to the air bags, until ride height is attained. The pressure in the bags depends on the weight on them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #80

On this somewhat same topic, is there a way to level the coach while it's still running? I hate having to shut the engine off to stop my suspension from airing back up while leveling. Normal?
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #81

Interesting question: but answer is--not that I know of....some owners have had issues with fitting "new" coaches in old storage areas [eg, new Alpine is a bit too tall]...owners have held the bag deflate button while driving in/out....self-leveling is an automated process, unless you level manually--not sure what happens when you try to level with engine running--never tried it???
Old 08-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #82

Well it sounds like it's operating properly then and I'm doing right.
When I first got the coach I was leaving the engine running while auto leveling and it didn't work very well (facepalm) because the bags were airing back up while it was trying to level it.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #83

Thanks for the info guys. We just bought our unit yesterday, and stopped at an RV park on the way home for the night to try her out. It’s more of a shake-down run for us than the ole’girl.
I was worried about getting her off the ground as I need the air bags pumped up to help bring up a lazy jack. ( I have blocks of wood under the sticky jack, and will let the air out to help initiate its retraction) - PO shows me this trick till I get that sorted.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #84

….as you read more and more on the forum...you will discover a number of "Alpine-centric" procedures that vary by model and year....the driver's side, rear jack is often a "problem child" ==perhaps due to proximity to heat from radiator stack???...Many owners who have experienced this issue carry a long pry bar and extra blocking to "help" raise a jack...repeating the store command also helps....besides a pry bar, some run the engine, inflate the bags, block that jack up, then deflate the bags...weight of coach will "raise" the jack some.
PS--with our larger coaches, a level site is desirable--opinions vary, I have on rare occasion had the front tire[s] off the ground but never the back tires--just my opinion...