RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:23 AM   #99

I wish they had given us the heads up on PT wood a few decades ago. You're not even supposed to let your dog lay on a fresh PT deck.
Cant imagine how much PT sawdust I have inhaled during my lifetime.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 12:31 PM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I wish they had given us the heads up on PT wood a few decades ago. You're not even supposed to let your dog lay on a fresh PT deck.
Living is hazardous to your health.
Measure Twice, Cut Once
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #101

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
Why go thru the hassle and extra expense and hazardous material handling of the poisonous Pressure Treated wood ? Doesn't sound like you hang on to it long enough for any real benefits.

I hope everyone using PT is handling it with gloves. That stuff is nasty !

I use PT because the blocks are in ground contact, get wet every time it rains and quite often sit in puddles after the rain.

Older PT was nasty, the newer treatment is much less so.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #102

Pressure treated wood

Quote:
I don't know where you guys are getting you pressure treated wood, but over the last 40 - 50 years we haven't seen any cersote used. Hundreds of thousands of homes get a deck built each year using pressure treated wood, no mass death as a result. Cresote has not been used in consumer products for decades.

It's my opinion that modern pressure treated wood is safe for consumer use or the major nation home improvements brands would not be selling those products. My research back this up.

It's an opinion, worth what you paid for it.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #103

Probably not a concern to the weekend deck builder or RV pad chopper, but more of a serious issue for pros with long-term exposure.

Chrominated Copper Arsenate (CCA) was not banned until 2009.

Pressure-treated wood is now treated with Alkaline Copper (AC) and Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (ACQ).

Inhalation of wood dust which has been permeated with ACQ chemicals can result in extreme inflammation. Repeated exposure can cause permanent irritation to the bronchial tubes resulting in asthma, greater likelihood of upper respiratory tract infection, or prolonged colds. In some cases, bronchitis can become chronic even after exposure to the dust is minimized. Monoethanolamine is a highly corrosive substance which if inhaled in larger quantities can create damage to the lungs and nervous system. Didecyldimethylammonium chloride is dangerously caustic in significant doses and can scar lungs, throat, and cause ongoing respiratory issues.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #104

Alpine Owners Club
You can remove all the chemicals from consideration because saw dust from any wood even simple KD (kiln dried) is an irritant to your lungs, the chemicals simple exacerbate the issue.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:58 PM   #105

Playing with my jacks today, trying to lube the cylinders to make the right rear play nice and rise with his 3 brothers. No real change,.... at least not enough to make me happy. It doesn’t take much effort with a pry bar to get it to rise, so I wonder if fresh springs would be worth a try.
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Playing with my jacks today, trying to lube the cylinders to make the right rear play nice and rise with his 3 brothers. No real change,.... at least not enough to make me happy. It doesn’t take much effort with a pry bar to get it to rise, so I wonder if fresh springs would be worth a try.
Swap one of the springs that is working with the one that isn't.

See if the problem moves to another location.
Measure Twice, Cut Once
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Swap one of the springs that is working with the one that isn't.

See if the problem moves to another location.
Normally I would agree with that troubleshooting idea, but for the work it takes to change them I would just replace with new ones.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #108

Pressure treated wood

Quote:
Probably not a concern to the weekend deck builder or RV pad chopper, but more of a serious issue for pros with long-term exposure.

Chrominated Copper Arsenate (CCA) was not banned until 2009.

Pressure-treated wood is now treated with Alkaline Copper (AC) and Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (ACQ).

Inhalation of wood dust which has been permeated with ACQ chemicals can result in extreme inflammation. Repeated exposure can cause permanent irritation to the bronchial tubes resulting in asthma, greater likelihood of upper respiratory tract infection, or prolonged colds. In some cases, bronchitis can become chronic even after exposure to the dust is minimized. Monoethanolamine is a highly corrosive substance which if inhaled in larger quantities can create damage to the lungs and nervous system. Didecyldimethylammonium chloride is dangerously caustic in significant doses and can scar lungs, throat, and cause ongoing respiratory issues.
Your absolutely correct the biggest danger is to those working in the plants that treat the wood and to a lessor extent those that install the product. You must follow the manufactures instruction when installing, including what protective gear should be used.

My opinion remains that once the treating and cutting is done, it is safe for consumers to use and enjoy.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:39 AM   #109

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

The BEST thing you can do for your slides is to extend them ALL the way, spray them with WD-40 (or use HWH fluid) wipe them clean several times including the seals, then spray again with WD-40. If there are no issues they will all retract within 2 minutes. If not you can replace the springs, but most likely you have a bent ram and the jack will need to be replaced. Obviously try moving the springs first.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:26 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Obviously try moving the springs first.

moving ? Do you mean swapping them with a jack that retracts normally ?

I'm happy to try a fresh set of springs. Recommend anywhere particular for new ones ?
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:00 AM   #111

Dr Dave, "retract within 2 minutes" is something that no one ever told me. I frequently confused my hwh system by over-clicking when I first got my coach. I didn't know one needed to wait for the system to "think about it" for a while before raising or lowering Jack's.
"What's wrong with this Thing? It's not working. Oh, nevermind."

Some youtubers are using the 3-m dry lubricants on jacks---they claim it doesn't collect dust like a wd40 or lithium would.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #112

for us "older" owners, its been over 20 years now hearing what non-Alpine owners think about things on our coaches .... fact is, HWH recommends WD-40 or hydraulic fluid for CLEANING [HWH rams are self-lubing], then wipe it down--don't over think this stuff--choose wisely grasshoppers....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote