RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #113

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by old scout View Post
for us "older" owners, its been over 20 years now hearing what non-alpine owners think about things on our coaches .... Fact is, hwh recommends wd-40 or hydraulic fluid for cleaning [hwh rams are self-lubing], then wipe it down--don't over think this stuff--choose wisely grasshoppers....
exactly!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Dr Dave, "retract within 2 minutes" is something that no one ever told me. I frequently confused my hwh system by over-clicking when I first got my coach. I didn't know one needed to wait for the system to "think about it" for a while before raising or lowering Jack's.
"What's wrong with this Thing? It's not working. Oh, nevermind."

Some youtubers are using the 3-m dry lubricants on jacks---they claim it doesn't collect dust like a wd40 or lithium would.
Yours has a delay when you store the jacks? Mine begins raising them (lowering the coach) immediately upon pressing the button.

When I press the button to start auto leveling, the only delay is while it dumps the air bags for the first 30 seconds. I read my HWH owner's manual to learn about the 30 second delay.

Maybe you're auto leveling after your air bags are already empty? Then it would seem like the system is just waiting 30 seconds to start raising the coach.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #115

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Hello all What is the most important thing we need to check before we depart? ...

ya ya, not a 'simple' question, but it is certainly a stupid one
Well, there's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure there will be one person in the crowd not brave enough to step forward and ask even though they might have the same questions.

In any event, in the time designated as the early break-in days when you are not familiar with the RV, you really need to expect the unexpected and I mean the unexpected that hits closer to your RV home than you would otherwise, when heading out on an adventure with your well-known coach with earned dependability. I would make sure you have your route well-mapped out with contingency service locations in advance.

Good luck and safe travels!
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
Playing with my jacks today, trying to lube the cylinders to make the right rear play nice and rise with his 3 brothers. No real change,.... at least not enough to make me happy. It doesn’t take much effort with a pry bar to get it to rise, so I wonder if fresh springs would be worth a try.
AZpete, a contributor to this forum and who works for HWH, posted in another thread regarding someone whose jack would not rise, exactly like yours. He mentioned the seal is likely binding and needs to be replaced as they get stiff over the years. This is beyond simply cleaning and lubing the shaft and exterior seal with WD-40. You may wish to contact AZpete, or he may chime in.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:37 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
AZpete, a contributor to this forum and who works for HWH, posted in another thread regarding someone whose jack would not rise, exactly like yours. He mentioned the seal is likely binding and needs to be replaced as they get stiff over the years. This is beyond simply cleaning and lubing the shaft and exterior seal with WD-40. You may wish to contact AZpete, or he may chime in.

That makes sense. I already ordered a pair of new springs and if that doesn't do the job, i'll look into removing the jack and having it rebuilt.
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:54 AM   #118

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Dr Dave, "retract within 2 minutes" is something that no one ever told me. I frequently confused my hwh system by over-clicking when I first got my coach. I didn't know one needed to wait for the system to "think about it" for a while before raising or lowering Jack's.
"What's wrong with this Thing? It's not working. Oh, nevermind."

Some youtubers are using the 3-m dry lubricants on jacks---they claim it doesn't collect dust like a wd40 or lithium would.

“retract within 2 minutes” means the retraction cycle under ideal conditions can COMPLETE within 2 minutes, not that it waits for 2 minutes.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:57 AM   #119

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
for us "older" owners, its been over 20 years now hearing what non-Alpine owners think about things on our coaches .... fact is, HWH recommends WD-40 or hydraulic fluid for CLEANING [HWH rams are self-lubing], then wipe it down--don't over think this stuff--choose wisely grasshoppers....

Times 3
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #120

Definitely quieter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200903_142408.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	299756  
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
That makes sense. I already ordered a pair of new springs and if that doesn't do the job, i'll look into removing the jack and having it rebuilt.

Well, installed the new springs today,... i was hopeful as they are bigger diameter, and much stronger. The old ones i was able to pick off with just a screwdriver. Used the paint stick trick for the new ones.

Anyway, didn't help my lazy ram.

So what is the next step ? Does the ram come out of the HWH box it's in, or do you take the box off the frame, then the jack comes out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3914.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	300233  
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote