Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
Those Pesky A/V Fans...

Wondering if anyone has experienced this one: The A/V fans come on when any portion of the A/V system is on. Granted, the ultimate fix here is to replace the fans with some that are more RVer friendly. However, our fans now come on and the pitch audibly goes up and down -- i.e. a bit faster, then a bit slower, in about even 2 second intervals. This happens whether they are running in relatively cool temps (generally slower speed), or when warmer, and running at the higher RPM. Presumably this is a "switch" of some sort that controls the unfriendly fan set. Has anyone discovered where that might be found?

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

The only fan speed controller I know of, is in the fans. Their speed is controlled by the air temperature of the air passing thru them. I have replaced mine and when they are powered up, found a constant 12 volt source to them. I would check to see if they are getting too much dust buildup on them. I would also try to see if they are all doing it at the same time or one is changing speed while others are staying the same. If they are all doing it together, then I would check the voltage to them while they are doing it.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
Problem Solved...

...at least until we can replace the four fans with something less noisy. Turned out one of the four fans had stopped working -- it would not turn freely. Once I could get to it an clean it out, I apparently dislodged whatever it was that was preventing it from turning freely. That fixed the problems, though we still look forward to replacing the fans with something that's a lot quieter. Thanks to Dale for furnishing a link to the fans that he's used. See:

SilenX 80x80x25mm - 14dBA - 32CFM iXtrema Pro Fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (IXP-54-14) - FrozenCPU.com

Tom
Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #4

That does it. I'm heading down to Fry's on the Vespa and get some quiet fans. Enough already.