Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Tire Valve Core Issue

I have a Tire Safe Guard Pressure Alert System on my coach & toad. The right side rear inner dual pressure alert went to ZERO. However the tire pressure was not at ZERO.
But I can not get any pressure reading with a guage. I removed the core from the stem fully expecting to get blasted but nothing happened. There is a small brass tube behind the valve core. I removed it also and took a wire and pushed into the stem about three inches and I could feel something open and air started to come out. When I remove the wire the air stops and when I push in in again the air comes out. I am figuring that the small brass tube pushes another valve fruther back in the stem but I have contacted five truck tire dealers and they all told me there is no such thing. They said there is no brass tube behind the valve core but I have it in my hand.
The tire has air in it but I cannot guage it or inflate it with a 150 psi compressor.
I am looking for someone smarter than myself and the tire dealers to tell me what this brass tube is and how this tire stem assembly works.
If you need a photo of the core and tube e-mail me at tjshively@gmail.com

Thanks
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #2

Are you talking about the valve extension? The inside dual has a valve extension, about 6" long that screws onto the valve stem on the rim to extend it past the outside dual rim. It should go through a rubber grommet to support it. If that extension is loose, it might not be pushing the valve core in the stem on the rim, resulting in no air pressure reading.

This extension has a hex on it in order to tighten in on the valve stem.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jim A is right. I had a similar thing happen to me. I could get a pressure but couldn't put air into the tire. Had to tighten the extension then it worked fine. If your loosing air in one of the inner duals a loose extension is the first thing to check. The older coaches had the hex between the wheels. The newer coaches have it on the outside of the outer duel by the valve cap so it is easier to get to.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Extensions are more trouble than they are worth. I suggest you remove any extensions and use a truckers gauge or inflator that will reach the inside tire. If you have the alloy wheels with the small hole, you need a dual foot inflator/gauge with a straight inlet. I put a mark on the outer wheel hole that allows access to the inner because the stem may be hard to see.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J Fisher View Post
Extensions are more trouble than they are worth. I suggest you remove any extensions and use a truckers gauge or inflator that will reach the inside tire. If you have the alloy wheels with the small hole, you need a dual foot inflator/gauge with a straight inlet. I put a mark on the outer wheel hole that allows access to the inner because the stem may be hard to see.
I totally agree. After a tire problem related to them several years ago, I took them off and they now ride in my parts box in the basement.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

I need the extensions for use with the stem mounted tire pressure monitors, as I assume the original poster does. Good extensions are fine and work without any problem. Never had a problem with one. You just need to keep them tight and supported properly.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #7

I just went through this same problem, when I installed a new Tire Safe Guard system. My extensions held air, but wouldn't let me put any air into the tire. We tried a couple of different extensions, but the problem was the length of the collar that has the female threads was too long. I found one that works with a short collar, and two of us have switched to these with good results, no leaks and able to add air to get the pressure where we wanted it. It is a Milton extension P/N MIL 440-3.
Good Luck
Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi All,

Another option, which I chose, was to go to the local truck/auto tire store and have them special order some very long (I'm guessing about 8 inches) valve stems for the inside duals. These reach far enough outboard for me to spin on my Pressure Pro transmitters very easily, and there are no extensions involved. I also had them install some angled valve stems on the outside duals so I'm working very comfortably to get the Pressure Pro senders on and off for those tires as well. Now I've got all the senders where I can touch them or remove them to check the air with an air gauge.

Cheers,
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Good extensions are fine and work without any problem.
Absolutely correct ...I have 8 years and apx 65k miles on mine.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #10

There is another problem w/extensions on inside duals. Remember if you have a flat to take the extension off before the booger eating moron roadside "helper" takes it to a truck shop. You probably won't get it back, and if that one worked before it will probably work again. Then remember to put it back on & test it. Forgetting the first part, makes the second substantially more difficult IMHO.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #11

Just so you know, after defending the valve extensions on this thread, I did like Mike & Mike and got the long valve stems for the inner duals and the angled valve stems for the outer duals. Much easier to get the tire pressure monitors on and off now. And my wallet is thinner, making driving more comfortable.