Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #15

To all above who responded with Q&A. Little
slow, just read through the entire Tire wear
problems and concens. We have a 2005 40'
Avalanch 400, 14000 miles. In June while at
WRV service center, I express my concern about
the Toyo's tires on our coach. After a lenghtly conversation with sereral techs, a front end alignment was done. The alignment only slightly
out on camber. After returning back from Wa,
Tire wear remains a big concern for us.
We have maintained 105F/95B per toyo weighting
chart, that WRV refered us to. We have weighted the coach 3 times this last year with litte or no changes in weightt or tire pressure. Question(s) at what point do you rotate or replace entirely to prevent a blow out and major damage? There still exist a problem between WRV and Toyo as to whom is right. When finger pointing is over, it will be to late for many of us owners. Continued concern on Tire wear.

Jack & Mary
Safe travels to all

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:45 PM   #16

Jack,
I took the safe road and replaced mine at 25,000 with Goodyear G670's
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
I also have tire shoulder wear on the inside and outside edges of both front tires, (Toyos).
I believe this was caused by under inflated tires. (Using the supplied weight to pressure chart). After the letter come out, I now keep the tires at 110psi on the front. I did notice after driving on dirty pavement the tire tread is dirty but not the worn shoulder area. I believe the shoulders are no longer making contact with the pavement and this causes the coach to wonder on some rutted highways.

Here is aTire Wear Chart.

Gary Arnold
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Gary,

Thanks for posting a tire wear chart .

Ted, I sent you a PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #19

I saw the results of a study that indicated shoulder wear could also occur on the front tires of any coach that has less than 10,500 lbs. on the front axle and has a wheel base longer than 220". The fix is to raise the tire pressure by 10 lbs. over the normal level. Another possible cause that I didn't see mentioned is wheel bearing wear and also if they are not torqued properly(the spindle nut is too loose).

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #20

The unusual tire wear experienced on the Toyo 120's has been discussed many times before on this forum. I personally talked to the US rep for Toyo when I notice the wear on mine in 2001. He told me that the wear was a characteristic of the 120's when used as steering tires.

The Toyo 120 was designed for trailer use. WRV chose to use them as an all around tire. IMHO I think they chose to use them because 1.They are inexpensive 2.Our coaches are generally easy on tires because of their low weight and our gentle driving habits. 3. Toyo had good salesman!

The 120's were OEM on many different brands of coaches. Toyo has stopped selling RV tires, maybe because of this issue. Toyo was very generous with a trade-in so I replaced mine with the 127 steering tire all around. End of problem!

My 2 cents Danny
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
My opinion of the Toyo's is that there is nothing wrong with the 120. It is air pressure and mechanics. I had edge wear when we purchased our coach used. Rotated them to the back. Some edge wear is inevitable with the way most people drive. Easy straight roads. Drive two lane roads (curvy)and I'm sure you will see less uneven tread wear.