Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theturboman View Post
I will always run the gen before bed while watching tv and will shut down the fridge at night but if I can save 5 hours a day of gen time, I win!! Also Concord batteries is who makes the batteries for Lifeline has told me a number of times that they run the batteries down 80% without damage. I understand what Paul is explaining about cost since these batteries are $450 ea but I am in them under $400 for all 4 batteries
You may find that after a decent day of solar generation, it won’t be necessary to run the generator in the evening or turn off the refrigerator. Overnight consumption will be minimal. Your new monitoring devices will help you decide when generator run time is necessary. Unless you’re parked in the shade or weather conditions are cloudy/rainy, I doubt you’ll be using the generator very much, if at all.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
You may find that after a decent day of solar generation, it won’t be necessary to run the generator in the evening or turn off the refrigerator. Overnight consumption will be minimal. Your new monitoring devices will help you decide when generator run time is necessary. Unless you’re parked in the shade or weather conditions are cloudy/rainy, I doubt you’ll be using the generator very much, if at all.
I can't even imagine that but I hope you are right!!! My new monitor has an alarm setting I can set
Old 02-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Here’s some data from Lifeline. Using their formula it would take 9 hours to fully charge a 600Ah AGM battery from a 50% DOD using a charge rate of 50A. That’s six hours at bulk and 3 at absorb. That would restore 300Ah of energy.

Using the same charge rating to restore 300Ah to a lithium battery would take 6 hours. In this example the AGM will require 1.5X more time to fully charge.

Using a 100A charge rate from 50% DOD on the 600Ah AGM battery would require 6 hours of charge time to restore 300Ah’s. It would take 3 hours to restore 300Ah’s to a lithium battery at the same charge rate. In this example the AGM would require twice the amount of time to charge as a lithium battery.

If a coach uses 300Ah’s, the batteries are going to need 300Ah’s of charging regardless of the battery chemistry or capacity of the bank. A lithium battery isn’t going to provide 300Ah’s of energy and only discharge 150Ah’s. They aren’t that magical.

If I had to guess, the OP will probably use somewhere in the neighborhood of 150Ah’s a day while boondocking. Or they will learn to modify their usage to achieve a similar goal. We have a propane refrigerator and typically use ~100Ah/day. Another owner, who I believe has a residential refrigerator, in addition to the Hydro-Hot and smart beds, had mentioned using 140-170Ah’s/day.

Worst case for the OP would be to run the generator for an hour in the morning to give the batteries ~100Ah’s and then let the solar panels finish the job.
The only thing not accounted for here is that the solar system will also go into absorb during the final stages of charging and it is possible for the MPPT charger to run out of daylight and NOT be able to utilize the total available amps..... but that's not really too important in this case with such a small solar array
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #18

Turned the coach on today and ran the fridge (from warm) , cable box, amp also for 5 hours stayed at 100% all day. Things are looking up!!
Old 02-17-2022, 05:06 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theturboman View Post
Turned the coach on today and ran the fridge (from warm) , cable box, amp also for 5 hours stayed at 100% all day. Things are looking up!!
It is so nice to have something quietly and constantly make power for you. Hope your panels hold up better than our GRAPE solar panels.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #20

Update: Just did an overnight dry camp trip this weekend. Left the house at 7am ran the inverter, got to destination turned TV on for 6 hours, heater, direct tv box, charged phones, used the microwave to heat up food and at 530pm batteries were 100%. Decided to fire up the Gen for a couple hours while we watched TV before bed so we would be 100% at end of day. Turned off gen set TV timer for an hour, turned fridge off, left inverter on, Direct tv box, charged a phone, heater was blowing it was 36 degrees out. Got up at 7am batteries we 85%, turned fridge on, used the toaster, watched tv left at 9am. At 11am I got on my phone and batteries were 100%

Next trip I will leave the fridge on
Old 03-01-2022, 05:12 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the update. Maybe you'll be able to drop the fridge run.
Those lithium batteries will be very happy living at 30 to 80% SOC.
No need to top them off unless you need the extra AH to get to the next good solar day.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
Thanks for the update. Maybe you'll be able to drop the fridge run.
Those lithium batteries will be very happy living at 30 to 80% SOC.
No need to top them off unless you need the extra AH to get to the next good solar day.
The OP is running AGM batteries
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:58 AM   #23

Sounds like everything is working. Next trip, leave the refrigerator on and don’t run the generator. Let the panels do their thing. The batteries may be ~70% in the morning, but will probably be fully charged by 2-3pm. A slight discharge before bed is fine.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
The OP is running AGM batteries
Thank you for the correction. For some reason I read "lifeline" and thought they lithium ion.

Tags
solar