Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #1

Trailer brake controller

I sure someone has put a brake controller in their Alpine. Any leads on the wiring I can get my hands on? This is on an 05 36MDDS I did find a post from 2011 and can use that I think. Maybe some updated info?
dynoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 01:06 PM   #2

I just used a prodigy rf controller that mounts on the trailer and uses a handheld controller that plugs into 12v up front. All of the wires at the trailer plug were white (numbered) so you need the wiring diagram if you need to change the plug or have a helper to identify what is what .
MBedsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:35 AM   #3

On the Alpine there are spare wires that run front to back in the main loom but sorting them out is sometimes difficult and they may not be the appropriate gauge wire for your application, I would consider running new wire to power the trailer brake, on the newer coaches with vansco connecting the sense wire for the brake pedal can also be a challenge.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
On the Alpine there are spare wires that run front to back in the main loom but sorting them out is sometimes difficult and they may not be the appropriate gauge wire for your application, I would consider running new wire to power the trailer brake, on the newer coaches with vansco connecting the sense wire for the brake pedal can also be a challenge.
Agree, I ran all new wires. The gauge was way too small going to back for the brake wire. The trigger wire off of the brake light switch was the easy part. There are three unused terminals on it. There is a post about what terminals to buy to connect to it and that worked as writen up. My brake controller is on its own system to completely avoid the Vansco all together.
There are a couple of posts about using relays to protect the brake light circuit in the vansco.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
Agree, I ran all new wires. The gauge was way too small going to back for the brake wire. The trigger wire off of the brake light switch was the easy part. There are three unused terminals on it. There is a post about what terminals to buy to connect to it and that worked as writen up. My brake controller is on its own system to completely avoid the Vansco all together.
There are a couple of posts about using relays to protect the brake light circuit in the vansco.
Thanks. So If I run new cabling, get a clean ignition power and ground, use the brake light switch for sensing, Will it be necessary to put a relay in? This Vansco thing has me rethinking my choice of coaches.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy View Post
Thanks. So If I run new cabling, get a clean ignition power and ground, use the brake light switch for sensing, Will it be necessary to put a relay in? This Vansco thing has me rethinking my choice of coaches.
Check out this thread, very helpful.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/adding-electric-brake-controller-389271.html

I did mine just a little different. I used the power and ground studs on the firewall.
I pulled power to a 30 amp self resetting breaker. I added the pins to the brake light switch as suggested in the above link.
Then ran my own wire to the back of the coach for the brakes.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #7

Jeep401 I think I'm confident I can get the trailer brake controller wired in ok. What wiring did you use for T/S Brakes B/U and do you have a trailer battery charge wire? I have a plug back there but it needs changed and tidied up.
2005 Alpine 36MDDS #75324
Old 09-28-2022, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Jeep401 I think I'm confident I can get the trailer brake controller wired in ok. What wiring did you use for T/S Brakes B/U and do you have a trailer battery charge wire? I have a plug back there but it needs changed and tidied up.
Evening you should need will be back there, with the exception of the brake wire and possibly the charge wire, I don't remember if I ran my own charge wire or not.. I also change out the plug for a 7 blade. It had a 5 pin round and all my trailers are the bigger 7 blade. You will find a small converter box just before the back of the plug in line in the wiring. I would suggest you just replace it now while you are already there. They go bad after a while.

Something like this, there are several to pick from but the link will give you the idea.
It's to get the separate amber turn signals to work with a trailer that doesn't have them.

https://www.zoro.com/buyers-products...BoCsa4QAvD_BwE
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:45 PM   #9

Jeep401 Did you use a relay as well?
2005 Alpine 36MDDS #75324
Old 10-03-2022, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Jeep401 Did you use a relay as well?
I did not.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #11

Well I can't edit my last comment for some reason. So I will add that I also did not splice into any existing wires on the the brake light switch. I used the open spots in the switch as noted in the thread that I linked earlier. I ran a wire from the circuit breaker that I installed through the switch, again as described in the link and to the controller. This breaker was also used for the main power to the controller. Power for the breaker and the ground were pulled from the two appropriate studs below the front Vansco behind the panel Infront of the passenger seat. (battery cable size)
Then I ran my own blue wire.
Hopefully this makes sense the way I am describing it....
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #12

Here i what I used. No wiring needed

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-elect...brake-controls
Old 10-04-2022, 05:34 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Brake Controller

Back in the dayÖGary Jones, the chassis designer, told us (out of earshot of the lawyers) that he had designed the Alpine brakes so there was really no need for trailer brakes. Iím just saying.
George Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Weiss View Post
Back in the dayÖGary Jones, the chassis designer, told us (out of earshot of the lawyers) that he had designed the Alpine brakes so there was really no need for trailer brakes. Iím just saying.
I have full faith in the brakes ability, but the the pedal pressure required on the later coaches.....well, I will run trailer brakes. Maybe not with a toad...
MARYSVILLE, WA.

Tags
brake, controller, trailer