Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #1

Transfer Switch

Fired up the generator yesterday while on shore power, showed voltage output on both legs but no switch over to generator. Disconnected shore power and same problem. Probably defective transfer switch but would like to know for sure how to tell and where would one likely find the switch. Also, can one manually make the switch. Have '08 36' Mid-door. Any body with ideas?
SC RV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #2

Were the circuit breakers on the genset off?
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #3

What circuit breakers are you referring to because the voltage panel beside the Xantrex control panel inside is showing voltage of 123 on both legs. I am aware of breakers on genset but didn't think would get voltage reading if open.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

check the breakers on the gen. set anyway.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

Thanks and will do tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

You are probably seeing both legs of the shore power on the surge guard display. At least mine shows 2 lines of voltage with the gen not running.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #7

Actually, reading voltage on shore power and when disconnected, reading genset voltage. Will try breakers tomorrow. Thanks for help and will advise outcome.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #8

Probably the transfer switch then. Mine is in the ceiling of the front bay just behind the water tank.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
My transfer switch is in the electric bay. The original swtich "stuck" a few times. If I would thump it as hard as I could with a closed fist it would switch over. The original switch was destroyed by a lightning stike a couple of years ago, and the new one has never stuck. One way to keep the transfew switch in good condition is to shut down all the loads you can before plugging in/unplugging shore power and/or starting the generator.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
There is usually a 2 year warranty on the transfer switch. Yours might be covered depending on what month your rig went into service in 08.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #11

SC- my xfer switch is contained in the black SurgeGuard box mounted to the frame/ceiling of the utility bay. Open the utility bay, then open the large door and it should be above to the right of the Xantrex inverter/charger.

There is also a transfer switch in the inverter, and much of the interior 110 is off that transfer switch. Could be that loads you checked are off the inverter and that xfer isn't xfer'ing. Check the plug behind the passenger seat (which is not off inverter) for 110V; if you have juice there but not elsewhere and gen is running then the inverter xfer is suspect.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Moved coach tonight from temporary parking at Wal-Mart to storage parking. So close to home and convenient to park for several days and unpack slowly. Checked the breaker at genset and was on and again showing both legs on inside panel but didn't have Engineer Mike's most recent post about the plug behind the seat. I did speak to Xantrex tech support yesterday and they also mentioned their transfer switch but much harder to test than E-Mike's suggestion. Will try the a/c plug behind passenger seat tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When that happened to me..... THey put in a new xfer switch... Thankfully.. WARRANTY ITEM when it happened (not today though if it should happen again)