Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Sorry--but out with the old and in with the new....cant imagine leaving the tranny fluid in indefinitely....testing every year is about $30 per year--at some point you pay for the fluid 4 gal @ $30/gal...Again, if done DIY--it just makes me feel better--so chose wisely grasshopper.....so put on your "big boy pants" and change it once in awhile.....
Its considerably more expensive for the real stuff .. You're getting a steal at 30 bucks I suspect its not approved spec ? . When I had it changed, when I got the rig , it was $450 for the fluid alone, if I remember correctly.
Sorry, but I'll follow the engineer that developed it and his comments. If the fluid test ok, its ok, plain and simple its not Milk. .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #16

Sorry--it was Castrol Transyn from Steward Stevenson here in San Antonio--ok maybe $40/gal the last time but 4 gal at $40=$160....wow you must of been on the stage because you got held-up "pardner!"
PS--you do know that the expert here on the forum owns a fluid testing lab, right? I like him a lot and use his lab but he has a motivation.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Sorry--it was Castrol Transyn from Steward Stevenson here in San Antonio--ok maybe $40/gal the last time but 4 gal at $40=$160....wow you must of been on the stage because you got held-up "pardner!"
PS--you do know that the expert here on the forum owns a fluid testing lab, right? I like him a lot and use his lab but he has a motivation.....
Yes and I don't use his testing I test it with my oil ... I also don't see conspiracy behind every tree but that's different. The Big company I worked for changed oil on our tractors via testing .. I won't tell you how long that oil went on those Million plus mile tractors we used
Also , I looked it up it Sorry my mistake was $450 total with the filters . the dealer was unhappy I made him do it with the other full service. I'm sure I paid for all in t but It wasn't obvious. My 4000 takes almost 5 gal that's what the billing was for.
Everybody needs to do what they believe in based on research and their experience. If you change it more frequently that's great.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #18

Yup--that all makes sense... your price sounds about right with labor added....might be anecdotal but I have heard that "million mile road warriors" don't actually change oil because as the rigs gets older....they just change filters regularly and add more oil that is being used up or leaked out [smile]...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 01-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #19

Just think how easy it is to spend $160-200 on fuel, in a single day, the next time you fork over that enormous sum every once every 5-6 years for transmission fluid.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #20

RVP--I like your way of thinking.....RV ownership is not cheap...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 01-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
I agree with Old Scout!! I purchase a 2000 Alpine with 34k on it. I feel better knowing when and with what the fluids are changed. I am starting from scratch. Order 5gal of Transend from Pacific Power Group. $230 free shipping.
KBFamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, transmission