Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #1

Anyone know what's the going rate a gallon for Castrol Transynd. I'm in Cleveland and want to get my Allison MD-3060 services.
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
MRL

We paid $34.45 for a gallon when Cummins did the 5,000 mile transmission filter change.

Raymond
'07 Alpine Limited 40MDTS
Old 06-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
don't know about castrol. i use amsoil. i suggest u try amsoil synthetic atf. it is rated for the allison trans. cost: 9.55 qt, 113.40 12 qts, 4 gal 146.80, 5gal 175.10. phone is 800.777.7094.
amsoil has 2 atf's get the one that is tes295 rated. the tes295 may not come in quarts.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
paz

Whatever synthetic fluid you use, make sure it meets Allison TES-295 Transmission Fluid Specification, especially if you plan to go with the extended fluid change intervals. See THIS LINK on the Allison web site for approved fluids. Castrol TranSynd is the first one on the list. I know Amsoil has a good reputation for manufacturing excellent lubricants, but I don't see theirs listed.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #5

I had my MD3060 serviced at the Allison dealer last month and they did not advise using the synthetic fluid. The extended service interval applies to mileage only and since most coaches do very little traveling you have to change the oil at the same time interval whether it is Dexron or synthetic.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I have the Allison 3060MH transmission as well. About 2 1/2 years ago had the transynd fluid installed. I was told at the time that the fluid needed to be checked every three years and that it should be good to go for several years. They did suggest having the filters replaced on a regular basis though. This work was done as Pacific Power Products in Ridgfield WA.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:14 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
the most important reason imho to use synthetic trans fluid is its ability to tolerate very high temperatures. syn fluid also cools internal parts better. amsoil is better in this regard than most.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In El Paso, TX it was $58 per gallon.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Castrol TranSyd is readily available for ~$35 a gallon at most Cummins/Allison/Detroit/Cat/UltraPower shops. I see no reason to go to a brand that is not on Allison's approved list.

Take approved care of your Allison and it will not let you down.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom N:
Castrol TranSyd is readily available for ~$35 a gallon at most Cummins/Allison/Detroit/Cat/UltraPower shops. I see no reason to go to a brand that is not on Allison's approved list.

Take approved care of your Allison and it will not let you down.

-Tom
I just changed the spin-on filter on my transmission this past weekend - went to Auto Zone for a quart of TranSynd and the guy hands me a quart of Mobil1 for $7.95 and said it'll work. I said no thanks and went to my local International dealer who happens to be an authorized Allison dealer and asked for a quart of TranSynd - he handed me a bottle of Fleet Rite that says "Made for Allison" (or something similar) on the bottle - cost me $15 for the quart.

Then I started to change the filter - everyone says there's a magnet at the top of the filter that needs to be moved to the new filter. When I hear "...on top of the filter..." I'm looking for some kind of magnet that is somehow wrapped around the top of the filter. Couldn't find it when I took the old filter off so I figured maybe I don't have one and put the new filter on - after filling it with fluid. Then when I'm draining the old filter I found that elusive magnet - it's a donut that fits on the FACE of the filter! It's now in place on the new filter.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan_Hepburn:
I just changed the spin-on filter on my transmission this past weekend - went to Auto Zone for a quart of TranSynd and the guy hands me a quart of Mobil1 for $7.95 and said it'll work. I said no thanks and went to my local International dealer who happens to be an authorized Allison dealer and asked for a quart of TranSynd - he handed me a bottle of Fleet Rite that says "Made for Allison" (or something similar) on the bottle - cost me $15 for the quart.
It's nice to know there is something on the approved list that is available in quarts. I have only seen TranSynd in gallons.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #12

Just bought 5 gals from WW Williams in Cleveland for $29 a gallon.

Thanks All
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #13

You can buy Mobil Delvac TES-295, Allison Approved for $39.25 gallon online at AV Lubricants Inc. {avlube.com }. click on index!
Johnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #14

Fleetrite is a TES 295 Approved synthetic fluid for the Allison

Dmax Dually is offline   Reply With Quote