Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #1

One of the jobs I find most frustrating when hooking up utility connections at an RV park is screwing on the tv co-axial cable connectors at the junction in the coach utility compartment. This is a perfect task for a contortionist, which I am not. I wasn't sure I was ever going to be able to stand again after my last effort. Any suggestions for a push-on or twist-on connector, as well as a source? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #2

One of the jobs I find most frustrating when hooking up utility connections at an RV park is screwing on the tv co-axial cable connectors at the junction in the coach utility compartment. This is a perfect task for a contortionist, which I am not. I wasn't sure I was ever going to be able to stand again after my last effort. Any suggestions for a push-on or twist-on connector, as well as a source? Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #3

Hi Rick,
You can buy screw-on fittings that fit your existing female fittings on your cable. They are a push on and pull off fitting that cures your problem once and for all. Radio Shack for sure has them and quite possibly Wall Mart. Any electronics store will have them.
Good luck, Chet
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #4

A somewhat more expensive way around it is to buy a satellite dish and not have to connect to the cable!

Just kidding. Radio Shack will have them. Home Depot might. Or Circuit City or Best Buy.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #5

Thanks- I think I'll take the screw-on connector option for the time being. I'll check out the local Radio Shack.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #6

Rick,

I keep a 20' piece of coax rolled up and perminately hooked up so it is always ready and I don't have to stand on my head each time.
gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #7

I have a simple alternative to the TV cable connector problem. Not cheap, but simple.

We had a 42' twin diesel boat in Puget Sound before our coach. We bought a 50' TV cable from West Marine (think it was made by Marenco, same people that make power cords) for the boat when we were docked at slips with TV cable.

After using our coach for awhile we found the same problem with screw on TV cables and we tossed the grey one we had with the coach and bought another Marenco from West Marine. It is yellow in color, so you see it easily (vs. grey), it has slip-on connectors so you don't have to screw it into either end, it is flexible when cold so it handles well and doesn't tend to coil up, and it has exceptional transmission quality.

Expect to pay $80 - $90 or so for a 50-foot cable, but once you've owned one, you won't go back. They set up, hook up, and stow fast - flexible, no screw-on, no problems. Others may sell it rather than West Marine, but that's where we bought ours, and we bought a second one for our coach. We really like it.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #8

Rick, I appreciate the difficulty with the TV COAX cable. From what I have learned the push-ons are not as good a connection as the screw type. Possible you could make up a pigtail COAX and leave attached to the connector in the motorhome. Make your pigtail as long as required. I believe you will get a better signal than with push-ons even though there is an extra joint.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:27 AM   #9

I disagree with Ted on push-ons vs screw-ons with the yellow Marenco cable. I've used both on my boat as well as two RVs. I've yet to see a difference with the push-on Marenco and it is so much faster to set up, as well as so flexible it's worth it. The fittings on the Marenco are first-rate and they hold up very well with many repeated hook ups.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #10

Old Forrester maybe totally correct. The people from Comcast removed all my push ons on my boat and motorhome. I have always used Marinco Cable as well as Hubbells cables. Either cable i top grade. All I know is what the cable companies have told me.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #11

Old Forrester maybe absolutely correct. The cable company that I deal with at our boat insisted we use threaded fittings. As soon as we changed them the signal improved substantially. Our home has Comcast and I know that the installer removed all push-ons from the previous owners and replaced with threaded style. If you think about it you realize that the point of contact with a thread and a push on the threaded style will have substantially more contact with the male connector. Certainly if you want use push-ons use them.
Hubbell and Marinco both make excellent cable.