Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

TV cable diagram needed

I have a 34' 2008 coach and in the owners manual, there is no wiring diagram for the TV cables. many are color coated but where they go is ?. I am told that the remote sat antenna connection is on the passenger side with a stainless steel plate that says Winegard which is next to the TV jack for an outside TV but I do not get any reception to my Motosat no matter which position I put the 5 black switches in the cabinet to the left over the drivers seat..
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If you are trying to get a signal from your roof top sat antenna. The remote sat connection is for hooking up a separate sat antenna in case the one on the roof is blocked by something or is not working or not there. The tv jack uses the signal from your rear tv. Plug the outside tv cable into the tv jack and if using sat select a channel on your rear tv. The outside tv will show the same channel.
If you are trying to set up a remote antenna there may be a cable problem. The owners manual shows the buttons to push.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #3

I am trying to connect a remote antenna and want to check continuity on the cables to the panel and find out where they are supposed to go..
Old 06-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
On my coach the cable (purple) from the portable sat connection goes to a splitter thats behind the front tv. Out of one side of the splitter (yellow) to the front tv A-B (roof-portable) switch then to the frt sat receiver (still yellow). From there to the frt tv. The other side of the splitter (orange) goes to the A-B (roof-portable) switch for the rear tv than to the rear tv sat receiver. From there it goes to the rear tv A-B-C (sat-cable-ant) switch out to a splitter thats behind the frt tv. One side to the rear tv (blue) the other to the exterior tv (black). It's confusing but thats what I found using a tone generator the trace the wires. I didn't think that a sat signal would work thru a splitter but have not checked to see if the portable sat connection works. Hope this helps.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #5

My '04 coach documents package included a schematic on the entertainment system. Your system is much different than mine, but maybe the basic color codes from it might help. Hopefully they didn't change that, although where they are connected definitely changed. The '04 coaches still used the Winegard switch box, and most coax connections went to it. It had one other A/B switch that selected if the roof satellite dish coax or the auxiliary dish coax went to the satellite receiver. (And it was wired wrong at the factory.)

Here is the color code from my schematic.

Portable satellite - Purple
Roof satellite - Green
Over air antenna - White
Cable - Red
To outside TV - Black
To bedroom TV - Blue

If that doesn't help (which is likely) there is a thread somewhere on this forum about a Wire Tracker. That should help trace the wiring.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #6

The other Jim's system is likely more like yours, so ignore my post. My system didn't use any splitters. But it indicates that the old basic color codes I had were still used.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #7

Well, I took apart the winegard input on the right side, found the color of the cable a and used one of the 2 ways in the cabinet, bringing it into oneside and the output from my motosat controller on the other side and the center to the Dish DVR..I don't use cable TV so if it interferes with that, no problem.. thanks for all the replies.. it is all working now..now to fix the roof lead under the AC I have had since it was new...you gotta love RV's..Mel
Old 06-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #8

Melorene,

JLMunsil mentioned using a tone generator to trace out wiring, which is a very good tool to use for this purpose. I've used one for many years in the telecom industry and at home. See this link for a YouTube demo of its use:

Although this YouTube video focuses on telephone wiring, you can use this technique for almost any type of wiring. You don't need a telephone jack to plug into. The tone generator also has two clips to hook onto one end of the pair of wires that you need to trace.

See this link for one to buy on Amazon:
Amazon.com: PRO3000 Tone & Probe Kit: Electronics

By using a tone generator and probe you should be able to create your own wiring diagram for the entertainment system.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote