RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #127

If it is a light battery in comparison to another lithium of the same capacity then this is usually because the manufacturer uses Aluminium encased prismatic cells vs heavier and bigger plastic encased cells.
Looking good there Paul !!
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #128

Very cool.
I need a year or two to get all my mechanicals up to snuff before I tackle the solar/lithium project. New 12v compressor frig update comes first.
My new to me 2000 36 came with 2 replacement 12 batteries for the house side. I think I will just revert it to 4 golf cart batteries for the time being. Definitely a major weight difference....but that is the way it came from the factory.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #129

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine06 View Post
If it is a light battery in comparison to another lithium of the same capacity then this is usually because the manufacturer uses Aluminium encased prismatic cells vs heavier and bigger plastic encased cells.
Looking good there Paul !!
Yes this is EXACTLY the technology involved with these batteries!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
So....I lived in San Clemente for more than 40 years before moving to Lake Havasu.....as you state the best weather in the USA......I would say that in my older years the desert is much more conducive to my old bones

If you've never lived n the desert you just can't begin to understand how different 100* is with less than 10% humidity......that's not even hot

In any case, the point was that there are 12 "Bad" weeks in the summer when you live in the Desert but isn't that why we own Alpines

Cheers!

PS....is there any way we can bring this thread back to a conversation about Lithium batteries???
One quick digression back to weather.

Iíve lived the past 38 years in So Cal and have worked for several months at a time in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico, fortunately, mostly in winter. Iíve visited relatives in AZ for the past 40 years, for weddings, graduations, etc. And Iíve spent time on Havasu, Mead and Powell, in the summer.

100F is hot, 110F is stifling. Yes, Iíd take 100 in the desert over 90 in Kentucky. Iíve done both. Relatives in Kentucky and Michigan, where I grew up, so I know humidity. Neither is a pleasant experience.

Iíd encourage anyone who is considering moving to the desert to spend at least 2 weeks in 100+ temps before committing to the decision. Sure, in a perfect world northerners can head south and southerners can head north for the 4 months of undesirable weather, but that doesnít always work out.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #131

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
One quick digression back to weather.

Iíve lived the past 38 years in So Cal and have worked for several months at a time in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico, fortunately, mostly in winter. Iíve visited relatives in AZ for the past 40 years, for weddings, graduations, etc. And Iíve spent time on Havasu, Mead and Powell, in the summer.

100F is hot, 110F is stifling. Yes, Iíd take 100 in the desert over 90 in Kentucky. Iíve done both. Relatives in Kentucky and Michigan, where I grew up, so I know humidity. Neither is a pleasant experience.

Iíd encourage anyone who is considering moving to the desert to spend at least 2 weeks in 100+ temps before committing to the decision. Sure, in a perfect world northerners can head south and southerners can head north for the 4 months of undesirable weather, but that doesnít always work out.
This is a thread about Lithium batteries....I hope we can bring the conversation back to same.

Merry Christmas everyone!!
Old 12-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #132

Quote:
This is a thread about Lithium batteries....I hope we can bring the conversation back to same.

Merry Christmas everyone!!
My apologies. I must have this thread confused with another one where someone mentioned moving to another part of the country and someone else recommended moving to Havasu and offered their services as a realtor.

So as to get back on topic, temperature is something to consider with lithium batteries.

Carry on. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #133

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
My apologies. I must have this thread confused with another one where someone mentioned moving to another part of the country and someone else recommended moving to Havasu and offered their services as a realtor.

So as to get back on topic, temperature is something to consider with lithium batteries.

Carry on. Merry Christmas.
Last Word......Just thought I'd get that in

Merry Christmas to you too
Old 12-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #134

Quote:
Last Word......Just thought I'd get that in

Merry Christmas to you too
Ok, there has to be an award for best bring-it-home segue of the week.
Weather--back to lithium temperature concerns.
Nice one.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #135

Alpine Owners Club
I can't think of an RV manufacturer that would build an RV with the batteries in the living space.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #136

Alpine Owners Club
Having experienced a battery fire on our coach, having any batteries in the living space is extremely risky in my opinion. Why canít they be placed in the original location designed for that purpose?
bcbowers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
Having experienced a battery fire on our coach, having any batteries in the living space is extremely risky in my opinion. Why canít they be placed in the original location designed for that purpose?

Sure you can absolutely do that. I choose to do that on my install for simplicity.
However many people that use their RVís year around like the idea of having the battery in a heated space.
Lithium batteries cannot be charged blow freezing. You can discharge the battery but charging will permanently damage the battery. If you choose a lithium drop in solution the first thing to check is that the BMS is cutting the charging off below letís say 3-5 C. And even today many do not.
I build my own battery and BMS and have a heating pad that automatically turns on at 5C and shuts off at 10C.
I know of one manufacturer that has a very small heating solution inside the battery right between the cells and while the charging is shut off it uses the incoming power to heat the battery first and then start the charging. Now that is smart. I canít remember the manufacturer of hand right now.
And yes I fully understand the point of the fire risk installing the battery in the living space. Many do however i.e. all van conversions just have no other space available.
I would be careful with no name knock offs that use inferior internal components like the wires to the main positive and negative pole are often too small as is the cross section of the high current carrying portion of the BMS.
A lot of circuits are Dali versions and that one has no low temp cut off. I guess they are getting better and the future models are coming out with that feature. At leased per some online comments.

Also if money is no object you can install a LTO based system. It has more than double the live cycles of Lithium-Iron, can be charged below freezing and has yet a lower fire risk. It will most likely outlast your RV. But they are pricy.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #138

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine06 View Post
I know of one manufacturer that has a very small heating solution inside the battery right between the cells and while the charging is shut off it uses the incoming power to heat the battery first and then start the charging. Now that is smart. I canít remember the manufacturer of hand right now.

LifeBlue has a built in heater on their low temp batteries. That is what we purchased for those winter trips to Yellowstone, or the early spring/late fall trips in the mountains, where night time temps can drop
jmltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #139

Yes these are very nice batteries and I am sure you will be very happy with the performance they have. The built in Bluetooth is another nice feature even if it has only a limited range you can always check what the battery is doing.
For most other manufacturers you need to add several other components to get to this point and that costs additional $$$ as much as I like Victron itís a complete landscape of components you will end up installing.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #140

Trojan Trillium batteries can be charged below freezing temperatures. Between 14-32F they can accept a 6A charge. I believe Battle Born Lithium batteries can accept a charge down to 25F.

73-77F is the Goldilocks zone for charging batteries. As temperatures drop the charging current needs to be reduced per the manufacturers specifications.

Tags
batteries, lithium, upgrade