RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #1

Urgent: Lighting Issue

All,

Iím on vacation and just picked up a trailer. The guys helping me hook up plugged the trailer in while I was on the brake. Now the entire tail light is out (no running light or brake light) on the coach. Iíve tried the simple reset on the Vansco module. Trailer is unhooked and unplugged, I have removed the draw tite converter box (thanks OldScout).

I now have running lights, but still nothing when I press the brake. I canít move until I get this figured out. Please help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #2

Oh, and the Vansco seems to be giving the proper outputs when the brake is depressed.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Happened to me a couple years ago. I finally unplugged rear Vansco after trying reboot and when I replugged the Vansco all worked as it should. Still working. This might or might not work , but worth a try.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
Happened to me a couple years ago. I finally unplugged rear Vansco after trying reboot and when I replugged the Vansco all worked as it should. Still working. This might or might not work , but worth a try.

Rusty, did you unplug after tripping the disconnect off? Or did you unplug while power was going to it?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Tommy,

I don't know if you'll hear back from Rusty or not, but, I personally wouldn't chance unplugging and plugging the Vansco connector with the disconnect in the on position. I would be concerned about the possibility of a short from a misalignment while plugging or some kind load pick up if it does plug straight in. Having had Vansco issues in the past I am very careful with them. They are after all...Ö...VOODOO!

Just my opinion,

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Tommy,

I don't know if you'll hear back from Rusty or not, but, I personally wouldn't chance unplugging and plugging the Vansco connector with the disconnect in the on position. I would be concerned about the possibility of a short from a misalignment while plugging or some kind load pick up if it does plug straight in. Having had Vansco issues in the past I am very careful with them. They are after all...Ö...VOODOO!

Just my opinion,

Terry

Terry, I definitely agree with that logic . Was just looking to see what he did.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

Update: I have replaced:
-Trailer Lighting Converter
-Rear Bulbs
-Brake Switch

I have restarted the Vansco several times, ensuring no power was going to the coach when I installed the components mentioned. The last reset I unplugged the Vansco after flipping the disconnect, as Rusty mentioned above.

Still no brake lights! The brakes work, just no brake lights on the coach or trailer.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #8

Tommy,

I havenít dealt with this yet. Sometimes, maybe always, a diode kit needs to be installed on the trailer/toad harness to prevent voltage/current from feeding back into the VMM. The #12 output LED on the rear VMM indicates brake light function, according to the schematic.

Bob
Old 07-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Tommy,

I havenít dealt with this yet. Sometimes, maybe always, a diode kit needs to be installed on the trailer/toad harness to prevent voltage/current from feeding back into the VMM. The #12 output LED on the rear VMM indicates brake light function, according to the schematic.

Bob

Bob,

Thatís the problem, Iím not having any issues out of the Vansco. The trailer is unhooked and I get #12 lighting up when I push the brakes, but no brake lights on the coach...
Old 07-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I powered off the Vansco then unplugged Vansco checking for maybe wiring issues. When Plugged in ,then powered on. I have had issues sometimes with plugs that had corrosion and cleaning them and some electronic spray solved the problem.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 07-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
I powered off the Vansco then unplugged Vansco checking for maybe wiring issues. When Plugged in ,then powered on. I have had issues sometimes with plugs that had corrosion and cleaning them and some electronic spray solved the problem.

Rusty, thanks for the reply. Iím going to check those harnesses in the rear compartment tomorrow morning.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:11 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Also inspect the plugs for cracks or loose pins.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 07-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #13

Is there power at the brake switch? If so, then power out of switch while peddle is being depressed? Work your way forward or back from that point until you find the loss of power.
Did you add a electric brake controller at the same time? If so how was the brake signal wire handled??? I wired mine around the Vansco! I didn't think it would handle the extra load.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #14

Not likely, but Could have the brake light bulbs blown when you first energized the system?
Have you verified power at bulb sockets?

gmcgene is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light