Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

Vansco battery drain

Our Apex suffers from chassis batts draining too quickly. We came home from the auto elec shop this Monday, they replaced the Sure Power battery separator 1315-200, (burnt contacts on the solenoid). Parked 1 day outside, no power, sun on solar panel. Then moved inside, 30 amp plugged in, the house batts went from 12.7 to 13.1v, S/L charger indicated 34 amps and in FLOAT charge. This morning the house is at 13.0 and the chassis was at 11.9v. I also noted that the charger was showing FLOAT at 0.0 v, yesterday and today. I then plugged in the batt temp sensor into the Xantrex RS 2000. Shortly, the chassis were at 13.8 and house at 13.9v, charger in Float at 47 amps.
Xantrex tech had recommended that I disconnect the temp sense because my charge voltages were in the 15.0v range in bulk and 14.0v in float. With no sensor, they were at 14.2 bulk and 13.3 float, more the correct level for AGM batts.

The auto elec tech tracked down a power drain from the Vansco. Does any one know a Qualified repair facility for Vansco? Is there a source for the WRV software and how it was set up?

Trombetta/ batt separator is new.
Chassis batts 5 months new.
House batts, AGM, 900ah, 17 months new.
Alternator, 4 months new.

Lifeline suggested I should equalize the house batts, at what voltage setting do I set the S/L and for how long? I understand that I will have to go a "flooded" setting to get the RS 2000 to cooperate with this exercise.

I'm sure there are other power draining issues and the charge cycle not always starting in bulk. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Looks like the float charge of 13.0 volts is not enough to trigger the charge solenoid to charge the chassis batteries. Hooking up the temp sensor causes the float voltage to go way to high but does trigger the charge solenoid.

I had the same problems with the Xrantrex RS 2000. High float charge voltage and no bulk charge. I replaced my Lifeline batteries because they would not hold a charge. Lifeline told me the batteries had been over charged for to long and were not any good any more. I then replaced the RS 2000 with a Magnum 2012. Now the batteries float charge at 13.1 volts with Magnum set on AGM 1 the setting for Lifeline batteries.

I would recommend that you replace the Xantrex. If the batteries were still 12.7 volts after one day without power then they may still be ok.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #3

As far as your Vansco question there is only one factory authorized distributor for Vansco. There is no one in the US.
That is JCA Electronics in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I have number wrote down somewhere, but I could not find it. Looked on the internet and came up with 204 489 5104.

You have to send them one Vansco to check it. They are not repairable. They can test it. You just have to replace it, if you have a problem. They have equipment to read yours and program a new one. If you find one on the internet, it would not do you any good, since they have to be programed for your coach.

Although it not your question or problem, the PDM are not programed and are interchangeable.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

The auto elec tech measured the draw on the Vansco at 560 milliamperes. The Vansco is powered up 24/7. Does it have a sleep mode to lower the draw? After 24 hr the batts are 13.6 chassis and 13.7 house, charger in float at about 11 amps.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #5

Other than the chassis bat disconnect, the Vansco is on all the time

Tags
battery, vansco