Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Vansco Module Support

I have been watching the posts of the problems of the coach that has been having electrical problems. I hope he resolves the problem soon. During the posts the mention of the Vansco modules being swapped out with spare units. I have searched for information on these modules and they seem to be obsolete. Is there a source for these units? Is there a replacement upgrade if these units go bad? Right now I don't have a problem but would like to have some idea of solving a problem should it arise. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
2008 Alpine 34FDDS
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I will post a reply. I believe I'll have to get 2 new ones and I'll be checking: JCA Electronics (204) 415-1104 JCA Electronics Integration Center
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks I would appreciate whatever you find out and I hope you get your problem repaired and back up and running.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
I will post a reply. I believe I'll have to get 2 new ones and I'll be checking: JCA Electronics (204) 415-1104 JCA Electronics Integration Center
Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #4

These modules are not obsolete. There is no upgrade. Vansco sold out to Parker Hanflin several years ago. Parker Hanflin has only one dealer in North America. That is JCA Electronics, Winnipeg, Manitoba 204-489-5104. You do not to buy two new ones, but only replace the bad one. You can swap them out front and rear to and see if the problem follows.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
My two new VMM’s will be here (Lakes Wales, FL) Friday. I’ll program them and pray that it solves my problem. I currently have four VMM’s and only one is good. I’ll program of that one. I had to wire transfer funds ($2,760) to JCA Industries and they said their bank takes 72 to process a wire transfer.
That’s Canada I guess. I also had to open a FedEx account because JCA will only ship them to my account. Customs or something. I’ll post what happens after I program & install the new VMM’s. I really wish the coach had good old fashion fuses. I lot of very nice coaches run on fuses. I firmly believe in prayer, so please, everyone say some prayers for me.Thanks.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the update

Thanks TJ for the update on the Vansco VMM's. I did not realize the modules were that expensive. I am glad that they are still available but I hope I don't have any problems with mine!
I wish you luck with them fixing your problem. Keep us posted when you get them installed.

Thanks Again

Quote:
My two new VMM’s will be here (Lakes Wales, FL) Friday. I’ll program them and pray that it solves my problem. I currently have four VMM’s and only one is good. I’ll program of that one. I had to wire transfer funds ($2,760) to JCA Industries and they said their bank takes 72 to process a wire transfer.
That’s Canada I guess. I also had to open a FedEx account because JCA will only ship them to my account. Customs or something. I’ll post what happens after I program & install the new VMM’s. I really wish the coach had good old fashion fuses. I lot of very nice coaches run on fuses. I firmly believe in prayer, so please, everyone say some prayers for me.Thanks.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #7

I think TJ said he WRV did sent two VMM's several years ago. I remember over 5 years ago when we had direct tech support with Vansco, and Vansco told me they did have some problem VMM' s shipped to WRV for a short period. They did warranty them and sent replacements for the bad ones. TJ said he did not have to return them. Maybe two of those originals probably were two bad ones. Sounds like he has maybe only bad one. The Vansco's were used in transit buses and other types of vehicles. They are reliable, but like any electronic thing you can have a problem.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Dead Coach !

My Alpine Coach will only start by pressing the Start button on the dash. M y chassis batteries were checked recently and my Gauges show them to be OK. The Vansco modules only partially light up now...would that be the problem ? The Coach has been stored all Winter but I've gone out once a month to run it and the Generator with no problem until now.
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I don't have an Avalanche but my Alpine starts with the key, not a start button. How do you start it normally? When my Vansco VMM went bad all sorts of things would not work. The coach would not start at all. Other things that didn't work were: The HWH system, the heater blower, and other stuff. If the coach starts and everything else works then the VMM's are OK. You might want to post a more detailed description of what is happening.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Instead of relying on the gauges, I would test the batteries with a multimeter. Also, how old are the batteries?
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Vansco Module Support

Dubya, WRV only produced a limited number of Avalanches, I think it was around 50 or so. It was their attempt to get into the lower cost market so they changed a lot of things to reduce cost (they use Power Gear for the leveling, and have propane heating as a few examples).

If you have Vansco modules, disconnect both batteries with the disconnect switch for about 30 seconds. When you turn them back on the Vanscos will reboot automatically, hopefully clearing your problems. This process clears most Vansco troubles, although as TJ knows, not all. You also say they only partially light up, the normal operation for the Vansco is to have the network led blinking and usually 3 or 4 others on (depending upon what things you have turned on) most of the lights will be out before you start the coach.

When you say your Alpine will not start except when you press the button on the dash are you referring to the engine or the generator? The generator could be controlled from a panel inside the coach that controls auto start (if it is set, it affects how the generator runs, or does not even start). You also need to get the volt meter suggested above to determine if the batteries have the proper voltage and a hydrometer to determine what condition they are in.

Maybe someone who is more familiar with the Avalanche can give you more/better information.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
WRV only produced 42 Avalanches, they were all rear radiators.

The button being pushed could be the battery boost. If that is the case I would think the chassis batteries could be weak and need of replacement or the starter is pulling to many amps for the chassis batteries and may need to be repaired or replaced. The starter should checked for amp draw and the batteries should be checked.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Vansco Modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Dubya, WRV only produced a limited number of Avalanches, I think it was around 50 or so. It was their attempt to get into the lower cost market so they changed a lot of things to reduce cost (they use Power Gear for the leveling, and have propane heating as a few examples).

If you have Vansco modules, disconnect both batteries with the disconnect switch for about 30 seconds. When you turn them back on the Vanscos will reboot automatically, hopefully clearing your problems. This process clears most Vansco troubles, although as TJ knows, not all. You also say they only partially light up, the normal operation for the Vansco is to have the network led blinking and usually 3 or 4 others on (depending upon what things you have turned on) most of the lights will be out before you start the coach.

When you say your Alpine will not start except when you press the button on the dash are you referring to the engine or the generator? The generator could be controlled from a panel inside the coach that controls auto start (if it is set, it affects how the generator runs, or does not even start). You also need to get the volt meter suggested above to determine if the batteries have the proper voltage and a hydrometer to determine what condition they are in.

Maybe someone who is more familiar with the Avalanche can give you more/better information.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Thanks Dave, I'll try the Reset. The dash Button is the Battery Boost Switch and it will start when I use it. The batteries are about 3 years old but may be bad.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I don't have an Avalanche but my Alpine starts with the key, not a start button. How do you start it normally? When my Vansco VMM went bad all sorts of things would not work. The coach would not start at all. Other things that didn't work were: The HWH system, the heater blower, and other stuff. If the coach starts and everything else works then the VMM's are OK. You might want to post a more detailed description of what is happening.
Everything else seems to work. I use the key to start it without the Booster switch normally. I wish WRV had mounted the Batteries in a slide out tray so they would be easier to access but, that's life in the big city I guess.