RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

VDC Issue

Ok so this may be long but I need some help

2001 36 FDDS 8.3 Cummins ISC motor

The dash gauges are out ( speedo ,tach misc ) the idiot lights ( sorry) are not and they function correctly

HOWEVER
not all the gauges are out , the engine temp gauge buzzes and actually works which is telling me I'm getting signal from the ( black box) in the engine bay.

The gauge needles Tach and speedo are pegged and are not working or buzzing which tends to make me believe its the actual gauge and not a signal source . ( black box)

Does this sound correct and if the black box is to blame , where on earth can you get this thing ?

remodeling the entire couch and I would like things working correctly yes Im aware of the after market apps and tablets that can run engine specs but I just want things to work and not bypassed , OCD that kicks in
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If you haven't done it already I would use google search to read all the past irv2 threads on gauges and VDC. Type into any google seach box:

site:irv2.com/forums/f104

then add your search words at the end. Bookmark the google page and you won't have to keep typing it in.

If it is your VDC the only replacement would likely be from a salvage yard or getting yours repaired.

Since you are an ACA member you should go look at the technical section on the ACA website where there are service and diagnostic documents for all model year gauges and the VDC. It will help to be handy around electronics.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #3

Fwiw, our 2000 FDS did the exact same thing.
Turns out it was a blown fuse in the RH dash fuse panel due to previous owner rinkydink CB wiring job. Did you check all those dash fuses?
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #4

Thank you for the replies

C_oneil I have done that exact search , unfortunately the search engine is not that accurate and tries and posts around 72 pages of searches .

I though mine was a little unique ,

Question ; Does anyone have a specific answer to where to get the VDC rebuilt ?
Than just other than you will have to search for it ?

Thank you for your input . Much appreciated

Alphine36 Thank you for a specif answer , i will check because of the unknown wiring and previous owners not so though-row repair jobs
BTW here in the Northwest with ya
Old 10-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

….had a recent conversation with another Alpine owner about his VDC issues...he did and exhaustive search for existing service/support....found the OEM manufacturer -- but they no longer supported the equipment and have no self stock, nor interest in future support....turned out his neighbor was old school circuit board junkie and volunteered to take a look... he found several soldering "faults" on the circuit board and was able to correct them and restored functionality....sorry, don't have any contact info for you…..
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #6

Thank you , at lest that is something to go with .
Possibly to try someone that knows circuit boards . Sure would be nice to have a concrete answer but with motor-homes and boats it seems , your on your own .
Old 10-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #7

Engineer Mike is the most knowledgeable person I have communicated with about the gauges. I'll bet he will be along shortly. A GPS and a Scan Gauge D is a pretty good way to be road worthy until you can repair your dash.

The wires to the different gauges all work on the same circuits. I'm inclined to believe you have a problem with your wiring. My gauges don't buzz.

Here are some threads I found in a search:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/das...ir-129633.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/int...er-391010.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/dea...gauge+-working

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/das...gauge+-working
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #8

Andy,
Thank you so much for the info. There is so much information on this forum its mind blowing , and working so much and with projects sometimes you just want a simple answer.
Thank you all in advance for the help
Old 11-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Explore alternative displays

Bluefire-llc makes a little unit that plugs into the vehicle data bus and links by bluetooth to a computer/tablet/smartphone, android/windows/mac. It will display everything but fuel level (which is an analog signal, 0-5V). Cost is quite moderate. Support is amazingly good.

Silverleaf also offers several versions of displays that plug into the data bus and likewise display everything but fuel level, but they cost more.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #10

Trailsweep, if you are an ACA member you can access the Tech Library which has a folder on the VDC, including a doc from a different coach line that used VDCs showing some solder repairs that revived a broken VDC
The "Gauge" digital signal, IIRC, comes out of the idiot light bar which is the brains of the gauge cluster

Andy posted a partial view of the dash wire loom (also in the Library) and I know from the wire schematic (also in the Library) that the 7 volt, ground & Gauge wires are spliced so all 3 gauges get the same power feed, ground, & digital signal, and each reads & reports only the info applicable to the individual gauge.
Not likely for 3 gauges to die simultaneously so it could be a wiring issue.