Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #1

Virginia vacation

We have been vacationing in VA for the past three weeks with the last 10 days in the Williamsburg KOA. Just a word to those considering this campground. I think we paid more than we ever paid for a campground. It is $ 61.95 plus $ 5.00 resort fee. Bottom line $ 68.00 a night less our KOA value card. 10%. The first night we spent in the woods and the site was so small we could not put our slides out or our awning down. Very rocky and unlevel. You could not tell the roads from the supposedly sites. We then moved to newer sites that were paved with stone. Our tires did not quite fit on the drive in width. Sites were flat and acceptable but not at these prices. Wi-Fi was included and we might have been able to get on line 20% of the time we spent there. Needless to say we shall never come back and a letter has already been sent to KOA and this campground. Self satisfaction anyway.

We did look at another campground and we should have moved for the last 4 days but did not. Interestingly there was a 34' Alpine Platinum next to the site they were going to give us. They were unaware that we had an Alpine. Did not see anyone in the Alpine but sorry we missed you.

Anyway Williamsburg is great but avoid the KOA. It truly was hard to believe even to the point that I asked which side the hookups were on and the gals at registration had no idea. Scary.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

If you return to the Williamsburg area try the American Heritage RV Park. Most sites are paved with patios. We just left this location after a four week stay.
John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

We stayed in several KOA's on our trip last fall and winter. All were overpriced and several were under value as well. The only thing KOA has going for it is name recognition. The only way I will stay in a KOA in the future is if is the only game in town.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #4

Jeff, I am certain it was your coach we saw in American Heritage RV. Coach was 34' 2005, Platinum from Arizona. Could not find anyone the day we rode through. Really sorry we did not move. Liked the concrete pads and the price was about $ 22-24.00 cheaper.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #5

https://www.anvilcampground.com/Rates.htm

We were at the Anvil Campground in Williamsburg from June 1-3, where we paid $38/nite (standard site) after a senior discount. The site was graveled and backed up to the road, and had a railroad track about 200' away on the opposite site of the campground (didn't really hear the trains inside the coach). Wasn't a 5 star campground, but it was VERY convenient. Our experience with KOA's has been similar to other responses, expensive without added benefits.

We've got a silver Limited coach, maybe you saw us?
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I'm not an Alpine owner but thought I would comment on the KOA's . We have been to some nice ones and some horrible ones. It really depends on the owners and managers. We have been to the one in Williamsburg quite a few years ago. We had our first TT and the spaces were very tight and fortunately that trailer had no slides. When we were pulling out my husband hit the awning of the MH next to us. Oh dear, not a good time. That KOA has not figured out rigs are bigger now! I wouldn't stay there again. I would only recommend it for small campers or popups.